Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
The whole federation is .

These have apparently been more or less independently verified.

Reaction Score
McKennie goes down with a hamstring. Between injuries and stupid roster choices, this will end up being an all-MLS roster . . .

Reaction Score
Tyler Boyd could be something. For a kiwi he makes a pretty good American.
You must be happy. Zardes had his pocket picked every time he took possession of the ball. He looked awful. He should never start another game for the USMNT.

And then he scores a goal when a ball ricochets off his head, he never saw it and scored.

Reaction Score
Great effort last night. Nobody, and i mean nobody simply walks on the pitch and expects to beat Guyana 4-0 (that’s sarcasm for those who don’t speak that language).

The first half was painful, the second half was comical. From Ream getting nutmegged, Lima getting turned around - literally, almost going down 1-0 early on, this team could be in serious trouble if they don’t get it sorted. The second half was as much a product of Guyana running out of gas as it was the US loosening up. We’ll see what the T&T match brings, but i’m Not holding my breath.

Between this match and the friendlies leading up to it, in my opinion it’s been Boyd and Sargent who looked the sharpest. One is scoring goals in the Gold cup and the other is back training to compete for a featuring role at a top Bundesliga club who barely missed out on qualifying for Europa League and a champions League. I mean, Werder Bremen is no Columbus Crew, but they’re decent.

Reaction Score
Not a bad performance by the yanks though. Still some defensive issues though which will probably be exposed later.

Reaction Score
We learned nothing from last night. You can't play it as a positive given how lowly the opponent was, but you also can't pull negatives from 4-0 wins.

If we flame out in the tournament I will have no problem turning on Berhalter, but I would add this: if you look at who is on the roster and the few realistic candidates who could be but aren't, this player pool is just not as good as it was 8 or even 4 years ago. It's just not. Yes, we have 4 young players playing regularly in top leagues (2, and maybe now 3, of whom can't play), but beyond that the pool is just not as good. You can make your case that we'd be better off with Sargent -- personally, as bad a year as he had in Germany I'd still take Bobby Woods on our roster until he proves he can't help us -- but these guys aren't game changers. Neither are all the young people who got to Europe early and we had to listen to Wisky and others rave about -- the CCVs and the Greens and the Hyndmans and the Parks and the Zalalems who just aren't accomplishing anything. The bottom line is that our player pool, for whatever reason, is not what it was. Would I rather Tata Martinez was our coach? Heck yes. But the bigger problem is the depth of our player pool is not moving forward even as we've produced a small number of younger players having real success in Europe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty sure no one thinks this roster will accomplish much, thats why last nights game was some what positive.

Reaction Score
The lunacy of playing those stupid rosters against Jamaica and Venezuela shows in the lack of chemistry they displayed against Guyana. I'm still baffled why we gave Robinson 120 minutes in those games.

Reaction Score
The lunacy of playing those stupid rosters against Jamaica and Venezuela shows in the lack of chemistry they displayed against Guyana. I'm still baffled why we gave Robinson 120 minutes in those games.

You mean that other than because of his speed and youth, they sincerely hope he will be better than Tim Ream and out starter when we get into the heat of qualification? Tim Ream is passable as a centerback. If he's starting on the outside, we're going nowhere.

Reaction Score
Great effort last night. Nobody, and i mean nobody simply walks on the pitch and expects to beat Guyana 4-0 (that’s sarcasm for those who don’t speak that language).

The first half was painful, the second half was comical. From Ream getting nutmegged, Lima getting turned around - literally, almost going down 1-0 early on, this team could be in serious trouble if they don’t get it sorted. The second half was as much a product of Guyana running out of gas as it was the US loosening up. We’ll see what the T&T match brings, but i’m Not holding my breath.

Between this match and the friendlies leading up to it, in my opinion it’s been Boyd and Sargent who looked the sharpest. One is scoring goals in the Gold cup and the other is back training to compete for a featuring role at a top Bundesliga club who barely missed out on qualifying for Europa League and a champions League. I mean, Werder Bremen is no Columbus Crew, but they’re decent.

I am on the basic same page. Bord was the only real positive as he did want the ball a lot, which is an improvement over most of the USMNT's midfielders and strikers. The rest of the game more about the USMNT just out running and out muscling a weaker team that eventually resulted in the result needed (no disrespect to Guyana who gave it their best). I saw very little creatively as Pulisic was often isolated by a compbination of Guayna's defense and his own team. McKennie, who I hope is not significantly injured, had a good worrate; but, needs to work on his touch. The defense was still a mess, a fact that was only covered-up by the other team's lack of quality. Mexico will tear this team apart and the upper-half of CONCACAF with Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, and maybe even Canada will be a problem.

Reaction Score
You must be happy. Zardes had his pocket picked every time he took possession of the ball. He looked awful. He should never start another game for the USMNT.

And then he scores a goal when a ball ricochets off his head, he never saw it and scored.

He is a donkey.

Reaction Score
I am on the basic same page. Bord was the only real positive as he did want the ball a lot, which is an improvement over most of the USMNT's midfielders and strikers. The rest of the game more about the USMNT just out running and out muscling a weaker team that eventually resulted in the result needed (no disrespect to Guyana who gave it their best). I saw very little creatively as Pulisic was often isolated by a compbination of Guayna's defense and his own team. McKennie, who I hope is not significantly injured, had a good worrate; but, needs to work on his touch. The defense was still a mess, a fact that was only covered-up by the other team's lack of quality. Mexico will tear this team apart and the upper-half of CONCACAF with Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, and maybe even Canada will be a problem.

Pulisic will do better on the wing or with a competent striker. He’s not a 10.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Arriola, Boyd, McKennie, and CP are the only players who showed anything. Everyone else was terrible.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Pulisic will do better on the wing or with a competent striker. He’s not a 10.

He was playing too deep. Much like Dempsey used to at times.

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you what, Alphonso Davies (18 year old Canadian playing for Bayern Munich) is going to be very good. He will be a beast in CONCACAF for the next 3+ WCQ cycles.

Anyone watching this game? Scoreless thru 35 minutes, but pretty entertaining. Canada going right at Mexico. Pretty physical game. The Mexican ‘diving’ team is there too.

Cyle Larin in the starting XI for Canada!

Reaction Score
He was playing too deep. Much like Dempsey used to at times.

Even when he played centrally for Dortmund which wasn’t often he didn’t play like a 10.

We should just put him on a wing and make sure he is supported and then let him do his thing.

It’s almost like Pulisic and Boyd play at different speed than everyone else and Berhalter and crew don’t know what to do with it.

Reaction Score
We learned nothing from last night. You can't play it as a positive given how lowly the opponent was, but you also can't pull negatives from 4-0 wins.

If we flame out in the tournament I will have no problem turning on Berhalter, but I would add this: if you look at who is on the roster and the few realistic candidates who could be but aren't, this player pool is just not as good as it was 8 or even 4 years ago. It's just not. Yes, we have 4 young players playing regularly in top leagues (2, and maybe now 3, of whom can't play), but beyond that the pool is just not as good. You can make your case that we'd be better off with Sargent -- personally, as bad a year as he had in Germany I'd still take Bobby Woods on our roster until he proves he can't help us -- but these guys aren't game changers. Neither are all the young people who got to Europe early and we had to listen to Wisky and others rave about -- the CCVs and the Greens and the Hyndmans and the Parks and the Zalalems who just aren't accomplishing anything. The bottom line is that our player pool, for whatever reason, is not what it was. Would I rather Tata Martinez was our coach? Heck yes. But the bigger problem is the depth of our player pool is not moving forward even as we've produced a small number of younger players having real success in Europe.

You’re totally out of it. Green isn’t even a center mid and he is better than the likes of Roldan.

CCV is better than Long and Gonzales.

Zelalem has been hurt and has been coming back with the U23s.

This shoving of Trapp and Zardes down our throats is pure favoritism. Dom Dwyer would be better, Crap, I would take Wondo over Zardes. Zardes’s face has a better first touch than any other part of his body.

This whole roster is just a lame MLS advertisement and you’re one of the suckers.

Lastly, it is Tata Martino.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Even when he played centrally for Dortmund which wasn’t often he didn’t play like a 10.

We should just put him on a wing and make sure he is supported and then let him do his thing.

It’s almost like Pulisic and Boyd play at different speed than everyone else and Berhalter and crew don’t know what to do with it.

Both seem to have a good connection with Arriola as well. I'd like to see that group with Bobby Wood in place of Zardes or Jozy. This team looks like it wants to play direct. I don't think thats what GB wants.

Anything that bypasses the hole we have at Defensive Midfield is a good idea.

Reaction Score
Could someone please remind me why John Brooks isn't on the roster? Did he manage to get injured again?

Never mind. I found it. Knee issues.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom