Predictions for FSU-Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predictions for FSU-Uconn

Reaction Score
They’re gonna go with the same starting lineup, which is obvious, but I think Cobb and Wilson should get more minutes

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We'll need to create turnovers and hit threes to have a chance at the W, I expect Carlton to have his head served on a platter again.
We need to limit turnovers, get to the line and make free throws, and run to tire their bigs out

Reaction Score
If Jalen upped his 3 point game he'd be better than Bazz.

People don't realize how important drawing fouls is.

Jalen has had an amazing season finishing in the paint so far this year, but he's Xavier Laflamme from Goon. He's so not physical that he hurts his own efficiency. Hanging in the air, euro-stepping, etc. He makes a lot of tough shots, but he TAKES a lot of tough shots because he doesn't draw fouls when in a slight advantage or neutral situation. He's a career 48% 2 point shooter, which is good for a PG. But Shabazz in his senior year drew fouls at a rate roughly 3x the rate Jalen is currently. And Napier hit 88% of them.

So yes, Jalen would also need to up his 3 point game, but the FT attempts is also a big part of it, especially in the tournament. Shabazz went to the line at least 4 times every game in the NCAA tournament (including 8 and 9 attempt games) until the title game he only went twice. Jalen has been to the line 4 times twice in 9 games this year, and only about 1/3 of the games since the start of last year.

Reaction Score
As we know this whole thing is going to be a growing process still hard to get a read on this team -if you Chalk up the cuse game to a good win but without their point guard in the game and the fact we wanted it more than them/and burying our threes- that’s one - then Iowa we can consider that a throwaway let down game - that’s two- and then all the mid-majors we ve destroyed -thats 3- then the zona game our guards were terrible and so were the refs -and the game was still for the taking late- that’s 4 - still hard to get a read. I think Saturday will tell us a lot about where this team is or where it is going over the next month.

Reaction Score
Damn. I wud love that score. Hope yer right and I’m 100% wrong.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If we can run baby run while limiting our turnovers and shoot well we have a shot. If we played them 10 times right now we would win probably 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem that UConn faces is that FSU is men among men. I don’t feel as optimistic. If Cofer plays (FSU tops scorer who has missed every game) I think UConn can keep it close bc working in a rusty player even if good plays to UConn’s advantage. However, I don’t see UConn fixing over aggressive and turnover plays.
FSU-88
UConn-72
UConn is still ahead of schedule even if they lose this game.

Reaction Score
I was talking about Dove’s prediction. Not the 88-72 scraping.

Reaction Score
We cant guard bigger teams still and we are highly turnover prone. I suppose if we shoot 40% or higher from 3 we can win. But it looks like a loss to me.

In going to give Hurley a few recruiting classes to build better low post defense. But the turnover issue is fixable now. Id like to see less turnovers. 10 or under would be awesome, but maybe a reach. Under 13 would be acceptable.

Reaction Score
We cant guard bigger teams still and we are highly turnover prone. I suppose if we shoot 40% or higher from 3 we can win. But it looks like a loss to me.

In going to give Hurley a few recruiting classes to build better low post defense. But the turnover issue is fixable now. Id like to see less turnovers. 10 or under would be awesome, but maybe a reach. Under 13 would be acceptable.

If Alterique plays as controlled as he did against Lafayette I think we have a good chance of pulling the upset.

Reaction Score
If Alterique plays as controlled as he did against Lafayette I think we have a good chance of pulling the upset.
Huge “if” but I agree. His over aggressiveness cost UConn a lot. Another key is Vital not having 9 turnovers

Reaction Score
I think if we shoot the 3 well, and stay reasonably close to them on the rebounding end we will win this game. Their bigs will provide a big challenge for us. Interested to see how it plays out.
These are the keys: don't get killed on the boards and keep turnovers reasonable. If we do those 2 things we'll make our share of shots and win the game.

Reaction Score
I was just reading the Noles scouting report and had no clue UConn was 18th in rebounding percentage. That’s staggering, I thought rebounding was going to be our worst stat this year. Also said UConn shot terribly from three in our 2 big time losses so maybe if we shoot hot from three we have a chance

Reaction Score
Their best player is Terrance Mann who is 6 foot 7 with guard skills, not sure who will be defending him. We have a shot if Hurley can neutralize Mann to some extent and not let their bigs eat down low. From a talent perspective I think our guys are on par but again the length is a huge difference at literally every position[/QUOTE]

Terrance was also terrific in Field of Dreams...

1544210112075.png

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If Carlton gets early fouls it’s curtains. They’ll smell blood in the water. Even if he doesn’t score much, if he can at least play interior D without fouling and rebound to key the break and eliminate second shots there’s a chance. And if Cobb can draw some fouls inside too ...

Tough game, hoping for the best

Reaction Score
People don't realize how important drawing fouls is.

Jalen has had an amazing season finishing in the paint so far this year, but he's Xavier Laflamme from Goon. He's so not physical that he hurts his own efficiency. Hanging in the air, euro-stepping, etc. He makes a lot of tough shots, but he TAKES a lot of tough shots because he doesn't draw fouls when in a slight advantage or neutral situation. He's a career 48% 2 point shooter, which is good for a PG. But Shabazz in his senior year drew fouls at a rate roughly 3x the rate Jalen is currently. And Napier hit 88% of them.

So yes, Jalen would also need to up his 3 point game, but the FT attempts is also a big part of it, especially in the tournament. Shabazz went to the line at least 4 times every game in the NCAA tournament (including 8 and 9 attempt games) until the title game he only went twice. Jalen has been to the line 4 times twice in 9 games this year, and only about 1/3 of the games since the start of last year.
ve
Good points. Bazz is my favorite Husky of all time. One other thing is that Jalen does not quite have the same talent around him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom