Predictions/Expectations for the rest of the season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predictions/Expectations for the rest of the season?

Reaction Score
Improved defense (which is already pretty good). Freshman still learning how to play D, rebound, switch.

Fewer turnovers and better shots all around.

We are still early Y2 of the Hurley era. He and the other coaches are still teaching.

When it all clicks it will be really good, but can’t predict if that will be early Jan or early March. The former we go to the Big Dance. The latter - NIT

Reaction Score
I'll be very disappointed if this happens.

By contrast, @buddy never disappoints. His posts have what Emerson termed "a foolish consistency," which was further described as "the hobgobblin of little minds." That's why I ignore him.
I just started posting on this board so I haven’t figured out anybody yet. Are you saying that is more than just sarcasm?

Reaction Score
My heart says we’ll be dancing because Vital and Gilbert will rectify their woes.

My head says NIT because Vital and Gilbert will play like they have been.
I am not that bullish on this team. I’m thinking that other tournament.

Reaction Score
I just started posting on this board so I haven’t figured out anybody yet. Are you saying that is more than just sarcasm?
Sarcasm yes. But you will see some people just always see things through blue colored glasses and refuse to accept what is actually happening before their very eyes. If you disagree with comments by some consummate homers here, you get labeled. But that is fine. None of what happens here changes the outcome on the field. A lot of homers here love to bash UConn's competitors, present or former. Rutgers (whom I feel does not deserve the privilege of being in the B1G), is one of them, along with members of the soon to be former conference mates. Most of them have now surpassed UConn in athletic prowess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sarcasm yes. But you will see some people just always see things through blue colored glasses and refuse to accept what is actually happening before their very eyes. If you disagree with comments by some consummate homers here, you get labeled. But that is fine. None of what happens here changes the outcome on a basketball court or playing field, so just go with the flow. There has always a lot of Rutgers bashing here because of their successful acceptance to a P5 Conference. I thought it was hilarious that they are doing so well, given the way Wisconsin easily handled Indiana, Rutgers goes and beats Wisconsin, while UConn lays a total egg on a national stage against a team Rutgers will likely beat easily.
Plus Rutgers coaches coached all those players who went on to make millions in the NBA. So they got that going for them. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Low expectations, I've already starting getting excited for next season! This teams potential ceiling a tournament appearance, but if we keep playing like we have I don't think we can make it. I don't see us winning any of those tough games that really matter and dropping and few that we should easily win along the way.

Reaction Score
Plus Rutgers coaches coached all those players who went on to make millions in the NBA. So they got that going for them. :rolleyes:
I heard them talk about the pedigree of the Rutgers coach on the broadcast last night! They clearly know how to promote themselves right into a great payday.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Because the scores and teams are factually accurate, it could be regarded as sarcasm, but Buddy's posts don't offer enough otherwise to be taken as more than generally bad energy. I believe we deserve better.

There will be more than enough good quality laughs, including from better sarcasm, as you get to know this community.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
'for the rest of the season?' some sun, some rain, intermittent cold with a few flakes coming down, gray and nasty at times, and long stretches of unseasonable warmth. all the while with the sun steadily rising in the noontime sky, then bang! march! madness, baby, madness! get ur tickets, cuz dancing is fun, and we gonna bust a move..
Maybe yes, maybe no. I dunno.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My heart says we’ll be dancing because Vital and Gilbert will rectify their woes.

My head says NIT because Vital and Gilbert will play like they have been.
Hurley's more of a gut guy, so we'll see...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Sarcasm yes. But you will see some people just always see things through blue colored glasses and refuse to accept what is actually happening before their very eyes. If you disagree with comments by some consummate homers here, you get labeled. But that is fine. None of what happens here changes the outcome on the field. A lot of homers here love to bash UConn's competitors, present or former. Rutgers (whom I feel does not deserve the privilege of being in the B1G), is one of them, along with members of the soon to be former conference mates. Most of them have now surpassed UConn in athletic prowess.
well, that's not very nice. labels? nobody should be gettin' 'labeled,' lessin, of course, they go all ad hominem on ya. then, all bets are off. grab either that dymo with a full roll of the good stuff (the print tape with the superglue backing), or the staple gun, whichever is handy, and have at 'em. blast away. so, who wizzed in your java? signed, consumate homer, with the blue shades, cuz our future's so bright, I gotta wear 'em.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'im doin alright, getting good grades,
the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.'

husky '19-'20 bball. must see tv.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not predicting anything until the Cincinnati game.
Win that one and I believe it’s NCAA
possible top 3 in the AAC
lose and it’s a real dogfight to get to 20

Reaction Score
Because the scores and teams are factually accurate, it could be regarded as sarcasm, but Buddy's posts don't offer enough otherwise to be taken as more than generally bad energy. I believe we deserve better.

There will be more than enough good quality laughs, including from better sarcasm, as you get to know this community.
Please ignore me.

Reaction Score
I can usually sense what as have by the end of December. Like the last couple years I knew we didn't have anything. This year is a little bit different because we have the talent and the capability if they are playing well, but because of the inconsistency of Gilbert and Vital it's going to be a few more weeks. If they keep playing the way they played against Indiana I can see us not even making the NIT. And if they play like they're supposed to we can make the NCAA tournament and even have a run. And Hurley is not abandoning these guys because he has no one else to go with really. Even if Bouknight becomes a full-blown star you still need a good point guard and veteran shooting guard.

Reaction Score
I think we're in pretty good shape for the most part. Bubble team. Us getting in to the tournament or not totally depends on the upperclassmen guards and whether they can remember how to play basketball on a given night. When/If they show up - we can hang with and beat anyone. If they don't, we're pretty easy pickings sans a colossal effort from our bench. Everyone else has done what's expected of them, for the most part.

Getting to the tournament or the NIT or wherever is so totally arbitrary and not even part of my thinking right now. I just want to see them get better. So far - everyone looks *a lot* better than the last two years - so we're making progress. Adams doesn't look like the same human. Whaley is about as good as could possibly be expected of him. Wilson looks useful this year. Polley looks more confident even though he tunes in and out a bit still, Josh is fantastic when he remembers he's 8,000 feet tall and Akok came as advertised and then some I think. Gaffney looks like a freshman. Bouknight looks like a really good freshman. Vital is exactly what he's always been. Gilbert should be fine, hasn't played well.

Would like to see from Hurley:

-Give a shorter leash to Vital and hand minutes to more talented underclassmen (I think we'll see a lot of this in the coming weeks)
-Design some not bad inbounds plays
-Press more because for whatever reason as soon as we start pressing, our guys get themselves confused with Duke or something.

Other than that, i'm fine where we're at. We're right where I expected us to be right now. St Joe's loss was bad. Florida win was excellent. Beat a tough Buffalo team and a good/above average Miami team. Lost a dumpster fire game against Indiana that we might have been able to pull out. All things considered, we're right on schedule.

Man, what a difference RJ Cole would make on this team.

That's all I got.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Please ignore me.

By my Settings, I already do, and have for several years. With the coaching change in 2018, I went from Ignoring 30+ to fewer than a half dozen...and you were a survivor.

It is now uncommon for me to see "Show Ignored Content" at the bottom of a screen page. Sometimes I get curious, especially after reading a Reply that lacks its antecedent, and even more so when the Reply suggests that the answered Comment was of a certain type.

"Oh yeah, that's why I Ignore [so-and-so]" is a more common reaction than, "Hmm, that's not a bad post; perhaps I'll remove the Ignore." It's a smoother reading experience without the Ignores, so there's a legitimare motivation for me to limit them. Besides, a wide variety of opinions & expressions is generally healthy, and thus to be prefered in most matters.

As I wrote earlier, you maintain a distinction by generally failing to disappoint my expectation that your posts will disappoint. I see clues that you're capable of better, but choose lesser. Your recent explanatory post about, essentially, blue-glassed homers was uncharacteristically thoughtful, but held yourself in a regard too high because of the general paucity of helpful contribution here to counterbalance the criticism. The perceived signal-to-noise ratio doesn't warrant the high perch you implicitly claim.

To be fair, there's another issue in play. I see your handle and recall one of the most lovable dogs I ever knew. Everybody instantly loved my eventual brother-in-law's dog Buddy, who I described as a refugee from the back lot at Disney. Kids would point & say to their parents, "Look at that dog. Look at that dog." His inexhaustible passion & prowess at playing fetch remains in joyous memory from decades ago. In similar spirit, a dear mentor who warms my heart still as he approaches his 91st birthday. Your chosen persona here feels dishonoring to the notion of a "buddy," especially when I consider the particulars of two who have worn the name do well.

So now, just as you gave some context in this thread for why you show up as you do, you have a better sense of why I occasionally push back. Part of my thing here is to be more willing to criticize exaggerating, self-certain, over-reaching, and/or mean-spirited posters who seek to score their points at the expense of the players. To me, criticizing the players in certain ways represents the difference between 'punching down' at what our head coaches have called "kids" and (if the term need be used) 'punching' sideways, often at bullying peers who can do better.

Many who bully are considered better at dishing it out than taking it. Some seem genuinely surprised and a little hurt when they become the object of criticism after seeming to casually dole it out.

I appreciate the polite humility of your request, and admit that it does humanize you. It might impact whether or how I reply to some of your Comments moving forward.

You, as well, may appreciate the respectful attention given to your request, and make your own adjustments. We'll both see...

In closing, the short form of what I've written draws from our nation's First Lady:
"Be buddy."

Reaction Score
By my Settings, I already do, and have for several years. With the coaching change in 2018, I went from Ignoring 30+ to fewer than a half dozen...and you were a survivor.

It is now uncommon for me to see "Show Ignored Content" at the bottom of a screen page. Sometimes I get curious, especially after reading a Reply that lacks its antecedent, and even more so when the Reply suggests that the answered Comment was of a certain type.

"Oh yeah, that's why I Ignore [so-and-so]" is a more common reaction than, "Hmm, that's not a bad post; perhaps I'll remove the Ignore." It's a smoother reading experience without the Ignores, so there's a legitimare motivation for me to limit them. Besides, a wide variety of opinions & expressions is generally healthy, and thus to be prefered in most matters.

As I wrote earlier, you maintain a distinction by generally failing to disappoint my expectation that your posts will disappoint. I see clues that you're capable of better, but choose lesser. Your recent explanatory post about, essentially, blue-glassed homers was uncharacteristically thoughtful, but held yourself in a regard too high because of the general paucity of helpful contribution here to counterbalance the criticism. The perceived signal-to-noise ratio doesn't warrant the high perch you implicitly claim.

To be fair, there's another issue in play. I see your handle and recall one of the most lovable dogs I ever knew. Everybody instantly loved my eventual brother-in-law's dog Buddy, who I described as a refugee from the back lot at Disney. Kids would point & say to their parents, "Look at that dog. Look at that dog." His inexhaustible passion & prowess at playing fetch remains in joyous memory from decades ago. In similar spirit, a dear mentor who warms my heart still as he approaches his 91st birthday. Your chosen persona here feels dishonoring to the notion of a "buddy," especially when I consider the particulars of two who have worn the name do well.

So now, just as you gave some context in this thread for why you show up as you do, you have a better sense of why I occasionally push back. Part of my thing here is to be more willing to criticize exaggerating, self-certain, over-reaching, and/or mean-spirited posters who seek to score their points at the expense of the players. To me, criticizing the players in certain ways represents the difference between 'punching down' at what our head coaches have called "kids" and (if the term need be used) 'punching' sideways, often at bullying peers who can do better.

Many who bully are considered better at dishing it out than taking it. Some seem genuinely surprised and a little hurt when they become the object of criticism after seeming to casually dole it out.

I appreciate the polite humility of your request, and admit that it does humanize you. It might impact whether or how I reply to some of your Comments moving forward.

You, as well, may appreciate the respectful attention given to your request, and make your own adjustments. We'll both see...

In closing, the short form of what I've written draws from our nation's First Lady:
"Be buddy."
Thank you for that kind response. I am not even close in person to how I am on this board. Passionate and angry I believe sums it up. I absolutely agree about your bully comment. I can't wait for UConn to get back to national relevance in athletics (men's, that is) again.

Reaction Score
After suffering for the past 3-4 years, I'm just happy to watch the entire game without turning off the TV in disgust before halftime.

Generally agree except for last year which I think was a blast and a breath of fresh air. You could clearly see that things had started to turn around. This year takes it to the next step. It's a process so I don't get all the wailing and nashing of teeth over a close loss to a pretty good team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'be buddy?' be buddy!
'consumate homer,' 'ten man dynamo,' 'right joe, we are the men!'
we must be getting better. the accolades are starting to pile up. sweeeet.
(about this consumate homer thing....
the waitress asks him for his order, he says 'meat appetizer, meat entree, meat dessert.'
'and to drink, sir?'
'meatballs!' now, that is the consumate homer.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom