Predictions/Expectations for the rest of the season? | The Boneyard

Predictions/Expectations for the rest of the season?

Reaction Score
With a full week before our next game, I was just wondering what everyones expectations are from what we have seen up to this point. Now that we only have 3 OOC games left before conference play, It looks like we will be 9-3 going into our AAC schedule. I think many of us would have signed up for that. Its just tough because I don’t think we are going to find out much anything from this team playing St Peters or New Hampshire. Our next test is at Cincy, and that will be our first true road game.

Based on what we have seen so far, I honestly don’t know what we can expect. I feel like in AAC play, we can finish 12-6, 9-9, or anything in between, and I would not be surprised. I believe right now, this is an NIT team with plenty of chances to mature into a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We could and should be 9-0 right now. The reduction of mental errors and an increase in focus/on-court self-discipline will be what decide the season for us. If we tank this year, it won't be for lack of talent.

Reaction Score
We have to take advantage of these upcoming games and loosen the reins on some of the younger guys. Gaffney, Bouknight, even Adams need to gain some experience and confidence from these games heading into conference play or it’s very possible that last night’s awful backcourt performance isn’t the last one we see this year.

With Carlton asserting himself, I think we can become a really hard team to beat. Even with our pretty poor shooting, if we can limit turnovers, I think we can play any team in the country tough. It all hinges on us figuring out our backcourt and playing a little smarter and more controlled.

In my opinion, finishing lower than third in the conference would be disappointing, especially if we leave Vital and Gilbert in the driver seat instead of giving more time to the younger guys

Reaction Score
Wisconsin crushed Indiana, Rutgers beat Wisconsin, Indiana beat UConn. That means Rutgers would beat UConn. Can't get any worse than that.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion (and what I said after Charleston): We are gonna see our share of stinkers and bad / tough losses throughout the year. I don’t think throwing Bouknight into the driver seat is the answer just because he has great talent. He has to learn how to win at the D1 NCAA level. I think you will see his minutes go up as he starts to dominate more and play better defense. But it will be gradual as Hurley is not going to kill his confidence so early in his career. Can you imagine if he got 30 mins last night and he played as poorly as he did in his 15 mins? Everyone would be freaking out that seniors were sitting on the bench while an unproven freshman was losing the game for us.

With that said, we are only going as far as Gilbert and Vital will take us. Which, oh by the way, is exactly what Hurley has been saying all season. They are who they are. There will be flashes of good (FL/Miami) and flashes of bad (St Joe’s) and everything in between. I can see us getting a few big wins in conference but I also have bad feelings about long trips to TX, OK, Kansas, etc. We are just not quite there yet and will probably finish in the NIT. But we are close enough that a few breaks and wins at the right time can sneak us in - perhaps getting a win in Dayton.

ETA: I think the program is definitely going in the right direction and I am very excited about the future regardless of what happens this year.

Reaction Score
My glass is still half full. Guards need to play better and coach needs to figure out how to get Polley more attempts. He shoots 42% from 3. Akok starting to show more confidence offensively. I look for Bouk to crank it up a few notches beginning next game. The team will be ready come conference play.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion (and what I said after Charleston): We are gonna see our share of stinkers and bad / tough losses throughout the year. I don’t think throwing Bouknight into the driver seat is the answer just because he has great talent. He has to learn how to win at the D1 NCAA level. I think you will see his minutes go up as he starts to dominate more and play better defense. But it will be gradual as Hurley is not going to kill his confidence so early in his career. Can you imagine if he got 30 mins last night and he played as poorly as he did in his 15 mins? Everyone would be freaking out that seniors were sitting on the bench while an unproven freshman was losing the game for us.

With that said, we are only going as far as Gilbert and Vital will take us. Which, oh by the way, is exactly what Hurley has been saying all season. They are who they are. There will be flashes of good (FL/Miami) and flashes of bad (St Joe’s) and everything in between. I can see us getting a few big wins in conference but I also have bad feelings about long trips to TX, OK, Kansas, etc. We are just not quite there yet and will probably finish in the NIT. But we are close enough that a few breaks and wins at the right time can sneak us in - perhaps getting a win in Dayton.

ETA: I think the program is definitely going in the right direction and I am very excited about the future regardless of what happens this year.
Agreed. I also asked myself after the 3 losses this year, “how much would last year’s team have lost this game by?” A competitive game with a high quality opponent is definitely trending in the right direction IMO.

Reaction Score
21 wins total for the season. I haven’t seen enough of Houston but I didn’t give them either of those games, if that’s inaccurate maybe the ceiling is higher

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We will get to the tournament this year. The term “ Battle Tested” will apply and be used towards the end of the season. The weakness of not having a true backup for Carlton and AG will improve through league play. We are headed in the right direction finally.

*****please, when you read my post , read it using Bane from Batman Darknight rises voice.******

Reaction Score
Road games will be difficult for this group. 20 wins would be an accomplishment at this point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have to take advantage of these upcoming games and loosen the reins on some of the younger guys. Gaffney, Bouknight, even Adams need to gain some experience and confidence from these games heading into conference play or it’s very possible that last night’s awful backcourt performance isn’t the last one we see this year.

With Carlton asserting himself, I think we can become a really hard team to beat. Even with our pretty poor shooting, if we can limit turnovers, I think we can play any team in the country tough. It all hinges on us figuring out our backcourt and playing a little smarter and more controlled.

In my opinion, finishing lower than third in the conference would be disappointing, especially if we leave Vital and Gilbert in the driver seat instead of giving more time to the younger guys

It would be coaching malpractice for Gaffney and Bouk not to get a lot of time in these next few games. CV at PG cannot happen again in a game that we might actually lose. So Gaffney has to get enough time to grow into that backup role right now.

I expect us to win over 20 games despite the close losses. The reality is that we need to learn how to win close games, but our losses aside from St. Joes are to top 30 teams on neutral courts. One by 3 and one by 1 point in 2OT. We should have won both of those. So the talent is there.

Reaction Score
I'll be very disappointed if this happens.

By contrast, @buddy never disappoints. His posts have what Emerson termed "a foolish consistency," which was further described as "the hobgobblin of little minds." That's why I ignore him.
I am glad you ignore me. Keep you head buried in the sand

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With another full week before our next game, I expect the NCAA to keep on NCAA'ing. A single game (on a "Finals day," no less) in a 14 day span doesn't help anyone.

That said, judging from their early season results, Cinci is not what it has been in recent years. I fully expect UConn to beat them even if it is on the road.

Of course I've only really watched/followed UConn and the NCAA Tournament on the college level for the last 4 years. So what do I know?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'for the rest of the season?' some sun, some rain, intermittent cold with a few flakes coming down, gray and nasty at times, and long stretches of unseasonable warmth. all the while with the sun steadily rising in the noontime sky, then bang! march! madness, baby, madness! get ur tickets, cuz dancing is fun, and we gonna bust a move..

Reaction Score
Of 22 remaining games, I will be pleasantly surprised if we win more than 12 of them.

Reaction Score
We will beat all the bad teams and split with the good ones. I have us with 7 easy games and 15 moderate/ hard games. Somewhere around 21- 11 feels right.

Depending on which of the toss ups we win and how many AAC tourney games we will will determine our fate, n because that record likely puts us on the last 4 teams in/out bubble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom