Predicting the American in 5 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predicting the American in 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the AAC in 5 years? Hard to say. Scenario 1: sucks as bad then as it does now. Scenario 2: sucks slightly less than it does now. Scenario 3: Sucks way worse then it does now (hard to imagine). Scenario 4: is no longer around after the Big12 raids Cincy, USF, UCF. Navy goes back to being indy, temple gets kicked out (again). Scenario 5 (most likely): Paul Pasqualoni takes over as commish and runs it into the ground, then writes a book on how to destroy things in 100 days.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
What's dissappointing is that we should be the flag bearers in this new conference.

Just a few months ago this was a given on this board. I thought so. We are the unholy trinity of FHCPP, team really not as talented as we thought, and these southern AAC teams really being a lot better than we thought.

Houston would hang 80 on us. Thank goodness not this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The big money conferences have all but successfully shut out everyone else. This conference will be closer to the MAC than it will to the ACC.

Yet you think it is a good idea to take down our basketball programs to tag along with a Southern mid-major conference?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As opposed to a Northern mid-major conference it makes sense...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think this conference was a terrible decision by Herbst. I am pretty sure she did it for the exit fees from the departing teams. UConn would have been much better off going with the hoops schools and going independent in football.

Reaction Score
I think this conference was a terrible decision by Herbst. I am pretty sure she did it for the exit fees from the departing teams. UConn would have been much better off going with the hoops schools and going independent in football.
When are you ever going to STFU? Your whining is pathetic. AAC basketball has a much better upside than Big East basketball. Think the whole world can relate to Catholicism? Man, are your posts dumb.

Reaction Score
When are you ever going to STFU? Your whining is pathetic. AAC basketball has a much better upside than Big East basketball. Think the whole world can relate to Catholicism? Man, are your posts dumb.

I wouldn't throw stones. This post borders on bigotry.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't throw stones. This post borders on bigotry.
I have nothing against anyone. I am just saying not everyone wants to go to a Catholic school. Some don't want to go to a school with ANY religious affiliation. If that's bigotry to you, don't know what to say.

FWIW, I went to a Catholic high school. The clergy there were VERY respectful.

Reaction Score
When we got passed over for the ACC we were in a very tricky position. But it isn't 1980 any more and we have very little in common with the New Big East schools. They have small athletic departments, limited resources and with a few exceptions like Georgetown, they are modest academic institutions on top of that. many don't have graduate schools outside maybe a law school a business school and an occasional masters program. We have very different views of where our programs want to go. Providence St johns Depaul, even Villanova and Georgetown if they are honest, those schools don't go into the basketball season looking for national championships. Oh they make the odd run now and again, Georgetown in 2007, Villanova in 2009, but those are few and far between. Go to other sports and it is even worse. Just to give some perspective, UConn recently announced the upgrade of its hockey program to Hockey East. Which of those schools would make a major upgrade to a program, one that will require a major new investment in facilities just to get started? When the D1 ECAC schools had to upgrade from D3 to D1 a dozen years ago, Villanova dropped the sport. It just indicates a totally different outlook between the modern day UConn and the schools of the New Big East.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against anyone. I am just saying not everyone wants to go to a Catholic school. Some don't want to go to a school with ANY religious affiliation. If that's bigotry to you, don't know what to say.

FWIW, I went to a Catholic high school. The clergy there were VERY respectful.

Butch, I think he made the bigotry comment in reference to you calling someone else's posts dumb

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So I was flying from DC to Hartford and the two dopes behind me who both claimed to be UConn season ticket holders in the recent past..

They were in agreement that Boston College is playing basketball in the Big East and football in the ACC.

Over the hour and 15 minutes it was only the 15th-20th stupidest thing they came up with.

Reaction Score
Most of the current teams will be in Big 5 conferences, I expect UConn, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston to find homes, Temple, and SMU I would expect might be left out. The final shakedown of football schools has to be somewhere around 80, 16 teams for 5 leagues, could have pods of 4 for scheduling in football and other sports.

Reaction Score
Most of the current teams will be in Big 5 conferences, I expect UConn, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston to find homes, Temple, and SMU I would expect might be left out. The final shakedown of football schools has to be somewhere around 80, 16 teams for 5 leagues, could have pods of 4 for scheduling in football and other sports.
Actually our only hope is the formation of a New Open Division
of NCAA football which will extend the P5 to 20 teams each.
or a new 6th conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate