Predict: Next commitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predict: Next commitment

Who's next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had one "one and done" and it was a disaster to team chemistry. Not blaming Drummond, but it was what it was. Our "two and dones" were Caron, which obviously was a huge plus, Charley V, who accomplished relatively little here and Rudy Gay, who you can easily argue was as big a minus as a plus because of the lack of flexibility you get with these kids to either sit them or play them in a position good for the team but not their NBA career. The only time we got to a Final Four with even a 2 and done was with Charley V, and he didn't play a huge role in getting us there.

And yet, we've gone to five Final Fours. So why is it dumb to think that players who come here as no more than a weigh station are going to get us where we want?

This is some revisionist history right here. Charlie didn't accomplish anything, except being a key player on a championship team, and Rudy was a minus because his team didn't have enough ballhandling guards. Nice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We had one "one and done" and it was a disaster to team chemistry. Not blaming Drummond, but it was what it was. Our "two and dones" were Caron, which obviously was a huge plus, Charley V, who accomplished relatively little here and Rudy Gay, who you can easily argue was as big a minus as a plus because of the lack of flexibility you get with these kids to either sit them or play them in a position good for the team but not their NBA career. The only time we got to a Final Four with even a 2 and done was with Charley V, and he didn't play a huge role in getting us there.

And yet, we've gone to five Final Fours. So why is it dumb to think that players who come here as no more than a weigh station are going to get us where we want?

Strongly disagree.

Drummond was a force throughout big east play and we ran into a hot Iowa state team. The best lineup was with AD and Roscoe and Oriakhi on the bench.

Charlie V accomplished very little? He won a national title his freshman season.

Rudy was an all American. Marcus was the best player on that team and while they certainly underachieved both of his seasons, that was because they only had one ball handler more than an all American being a negative.

We've been lucky to have our best players stay 3/4 years and win big with them and I'm happy with how we've done it. Just think you're giving these guys not enough credit.

Reaction Score
Isn't that 1&done rule changing soon? Also getting a blue chipper doesn't always lead to them leaving after 1 year, just look at the top 10 from 2013. half are still in school.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And Jones will commit next. Clarke not committing or verbal-ing on his OV (with Baptiste, who also didn't choose UConn) tells me he's not going here. Just a hunch.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Rudy Gay was as big a minus as a plus. An All-American on a 30-win team. We've gone around the bend here
I don't see him as a minus - he wasn't the reason the team lost in 06'.

Reaction Score
Jeremy another 2 and done that played a big role on a championship team.

Lamb left after two years, but I don't think he came here with one eye on the exit the way the others did.

As to Charley and Rudy, you can disagree with me but there is no revisionism in my history. I don't think Charley was a key piece in '04 of what we accomplished, and I think we could have won a championship in '06 if Rudy could have had his minutes reduced, or played some at the 4, instead of having Sheed and Denham sit too much in games where they were playing well. I know that is a minority opinion, but I've been saying it since '06

Reaction Score
Nor was Drummond the reason the 2012 team underperformed.

Drummonds play was not the reason. But I have zero, zero, doubt (obviously unprovable) that we would have been a better team that year had he never shown up in September.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Drummonds play was not the reason. But I have zero, zero, doubt (obviously unprovable) that we would have been a better team that year had he never shown up in September.
It hurts to say this, but I agree. But you could also say the same thing about Boat. The first season, Boat and Bazz did not get along - both had different visions of how the team should be ran.

Reaction Score
I don't see him as a minus - he wasn't the reason the team lost in 06'.
I was mocking the idea that he was a minus. He had his faults, but his legacy is by far a net positive.

Reaction Score
Lamb left after two years, but I don't think he came here with one eye on the exit the way the others did.

As to Charley and Rudy, you can disagree with me but there is no revisionism in my history. I don't think Charley was a key piece in '04 of what we accomplished, and I think we could have won a championship in '06 if Rudy could have had his minutes reduced, or played some at the 4, instead of having Sheed and Denham sit too much in games where they were playing well. I know that is a minority opinion, but I've been saying it since '06
Who is this "Sheed" you speak of????? Could you possibly mean RASHAD????

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we lose out on Clark and Jones and sign Tevin Mack. Mack appears to be a better shooter than either Clark or Jones based upon VERY limited videos and we need good shooting from his position first and foremost. Slashers are great but you really have to be able to hit the outside shot in Div.1 to open up the lane.

Reaction Score
I understand your argument but I see no problem in going after highly rated recruits if you believe you can get them. If you were KO, you would not offer Stone a ship because he's too good? I would never want to see us turn into some one and done factory like UK but I don't see an issue in bringing one in on occasion.

Reaction Score

You've been wrong about both, then. Charlie was huge for us, particularly when Emeka was hurt, and we don't win the BET without him. RaSHAD and Denham were both weaker ballhandlers than Rudy, so I'm not sure what benching him would have provided.

Reaction Score
While I agree, I think the team would have only been marginally better.

Chemistry problems aside, there wasn't a single player ready to fill the leadership void left by Kemba's departure...let alone the multiple players they needed to fill that void. Shabazz was a year away from being that guy, and Oriakhi didn't have it in him.

That, plus Shabazz and Lamb never clicking were much bigger issues that season.

Reaction Score
While I agree, I think the team would have only been marginally better.

Chemistry problems aside, there wasn't a single player ready to fill the leadership void left by Kemba's departure...let alone the multiple players they needed to fill that void. Shabazz was a year away from being that guy, and Oriakhi didn't have it in him.

That, plus Shabazz and Lamb never clicking were much bigger issues that season.

Yup. You could go up and down the roster and have a hard time finding guys who lived up to expectations that year. The only exceptions would be Boatright (who had a really solid freshman year) and Lamb to a certain extent. Shabazz was wildly inconsistent. Daniels did nothing. Roscoe did nothing until the end of the year. Giffey wasn't the Giffey we had last year. Oriakhi's play has been discussed ad nauseum. Etc. Etc.

So it's completely unfair to say that bringing in the one-and-doner was the main reason for that team's struggles. It wasn't Drummond's fault that the fanbase expected a triple-double every night. And it also wasn't Drummond's fault that so many of his teammates had lousy seasons.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yup. You could go up and down the roster and have a hard time finding guys who lived up to expectations that year. The only exceptions would be Boatright (who had a really solid freshman year) and Lamb to a certain extent. Shabazz was wildly inconsistent. Daniels did nothing. Roscoe did nothing until the end of the year. Giffey wasn't the Giffey we had last year. Oriakhi's play has been discussed ad nauseum. Etc. Etc.

So it's completely unfair to say that bringing in the one-and-doner was the main reason for that team's struggles. It wasn't Drummond's fault that the fanbase expected a triple-double every night. And it also wasn't Drummond's fault that so many of his teammates had lousy seasons.

Agree. Plus Calhoun injury/ sickness, concerns about JC retiring, the impending ban. It was a lost year.

People forget that a one-and-done was also critical in bringing UCONN to national prominence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom