Pre-Tulsa Positives | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pre-Tulsa Positives

Reaction Score
The knockout punches from Michigan State, Zona, & today all came from a flurry of 3 point shots. Terrible defending it in critical stretches this year. They've come in bunches and have been daggers.
It’s all too familiar: guard blows by defender and gets in the lane, kicks to the wing, opposing player pumps as UConn player sprints out and leaves his feet akin to a middle school basketball close out, opposing player calmly drains a wide open 3.

Rinse & Repeat.

Reaction Score
Well, you're entitled to feel that way obviously. But let me add some numbers to what I said in 2 through 6:

Jalen - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals. That's a good game. There's no other way to slice that one.

Larrier - 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists. Not as good a stat line as Jalen, but he shot almost 50% from the field.

Energy - I'm not sure how someone could see it otherwise, but the energy was certainly much better especially considering that there were 12 steals and less lazy turnovers (11 TOs total).

Again, agree to disagree. Also, a shout out to Vital who had a nice game as well...

I like the positivity, but outside of those 3 players we didn't have much else.

The last 5 minutes was clearly a seasoned team of balanced talent against a desperate and limited 3 man offense with a bunch of inexperienced guys surrounding them.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes Witchita St hit 12 threes and a lot were open but how many times did our guys get completely duped by a simple pumpfake? Like at this point you’ve probably been playing basketball for a while and should have some ability to read a pump fake or someone on the sidelines should be like “hey, watch the pump fake.”

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I’m curious what path you think is required for us right now to receive an at-large bid on Selection Sunday? Keep in mind we’re currently ranked about 125 and we are 1 game from .500.

For an at large bid, we likely cannot have more than 11 losses in the regular season with 18 games remaining. That means no worse than 13-5 to close out. In the remaining schedule, we'll have 4 games against ranked teams. We probably need at least 1 of those to be wins along with the record of 13-5. That would mean a conference record of 12-6 minimum...

Reaction Score
For an at large bid, we likely cannot have more than 11 losses in the regular season with 18 games remaining. That means no worse than 13-5 to close out. In the remaining schedule, we'll have 4 games against ranked teams. We probably need at least 1 of those to be wins along with the record of 13-5. That would mean a conference record of 12-6 minimum...
That’s my point. We can only loose 4-5 more games with remaining 18. Assuming we even got 1 win from 2 Cincinnati, 1 Nova, 1 WSU. We could only lose 1-2 more of remaining 13 games. Basically run the table for 13 remaining games against SMU; Houston, UCF, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, USF, etc... I see no sign that this team is capable of doing even 1/2 that. Trust me, I would be delighted to eat crow if it happened. But these are like Super Lotto odds.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That’s my point. We can only loose 4-5 more games with remaining 18. Assuming we even got 1 win from 2 Cincinnati, 1 Nova, 1 WSU. We could only lose 1-2 more of remaining 13 games. Basically run the table for 13 remaining games against SMU; Houston, UCF, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, USF, etc... I see no sign that this team is capable of doing even 1/2 that. Trust me, I would be delighted to eat crow if it happened. But these are like Super Lotto odds.

Those aren't super lotto odds. Yes, Tulane is playing better ball now and UCF and Houston are going to be tougher outs. But those teams are safely a notch below Wichita State and Arizona if not more. Can we crap the bed? Absolutely. But it's not that large of a stretch to believe that we only drop 5 of the 18 and get in. That's all without any help from the AAC tourney...

Reaction Score
Those aren't super lotto odds. Yes, Tulane is playing better ball now and UCF and Houston are going to be tougher outs. But those teams are safely a notch below Wichita State and Arizona if not more. Can we crap the bed? Absolutely. But it's not that large of a stretch to believe that we only drop 5 of the 18 and get in. That's all without any help from the AAC tourney...

You don’t think it’s that large of a stretch to go 13-5 in conference play????

A UConn team that has struggled this season to teams like Colgate, Stony Brook, Columbia, and Monmouth? That got destroyed by Michigan State, Arkansas, Arizona, and Auburn?

I just don’t see your optimism. This UConn team crapping the bed is not that large of a stretch makes more sense.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You don’t think it’s that large of a stretch to go 13-5 in conference play????

A UConn team that has struggled this season to teams like Colgate, Stony Brook, Columbia, and Monmouth? That got destroyed by Michigan State, Arkansas, Arizona, and Auburn?

I just don’t see your optimism. This UConn team crapping the bed is not that large of a stretch makes more sense.

No, 12-6...

Reaction Score
There were some positives and there were some negatives. Overall we just about broke even (hence the ten point spread). The only thing different today than yesterday is that we have less time.

I agree with Fishy on the starting lineups. This has been a problem with Ollie for years and I just don't get it. There is no reason for Dave O to see the floor. Anderson is a nice piece who would be great to have if he were playing 10-15 minutes to spell Adams/Gilbert like he was supposed to. Unfortunately we're relying on him as a key cog and, well, there is a reason he was at Fordham. Just too limited offensively especially as a shooter.

Whereas most of the time I think it's better to play small in the college game, with this team it might be better to play big. For starters, we only have three guards, so if you ever want to rest them (starting with Vital on the bench given this is ridiculous), you're going to have to play a lot of two guard, three forward sets. Second, the whole point of playing small is to become more dynamic on offense and more flexible on defense. That doesn't work when your small guys can't shoot. If we're going to be playing 2 on 5 offensively, better that we do so with bigger players who can screen and rebound more effectively. Additionally, one of the few things this team is good at is switching and staying in front of guards on defense. Whaley, Polley, and Larrier are long, versatile defender's who can play the three and even the one or the two on defense without much problem. Whaley, in particular, had a great close out today where he blocked a three point shot. Those are the things that you can build around schematically as a coach.

Reaction Score
Assuming this team finds some magic mojo (I don’t see it, but OK) and does go 13-5 the rest of the way, you really think an 11 loss AAC team with what would be our resume has any shot at an at-large bid? Where does that logic come from? 11 loss at large bids come from the ACC and the old Big East where 8 teams get bids. They don’t come from the American historically speaking. Show me a blind resume that, if the above 13-5 actually happened, would look like a tourney team.

As of this morning, we are scheduled to play 16 Top 100 games with 9 remaining. We’re presently 0-5 against the top 50 and 1-6 against the top 100.

If we win, as you suggest, 1 of the 4 games against the ranked teams (let’s say Villanova) and lose to WSU, plus home/away vs Cincy and then have the remaining 12 wins come from the best (highest rated) teams left on the schedule we’d have a resume of being 3-9 vs the top 50 and 7-9 vs the top 100 (and that’s not to get into the double-edged sword that when we win games vs the top 100 it drops the opponent’s rating and make our win vs them lesser in quality for us). But you think a team with wins over Villanova, Oregon, Houston, SMU, Temple (2x) and UCF is an at large team?

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Assuming this team finds some magic mojo (I don’t see it, but OK) and does go 13-5 the rest of the way, you really think an 11 loss AAC team with what would be our resume has any shot at an at-large bid? Where does that logic come from? 11 loss at large bids come from the ACC and the old Big East where 8 teams get bids. They don’t come from the American historically speaking. Show me a blind resume that, if the above 13-5 actually happened, would look like a tourney team.

As of this morning, we are scheduled to play 16 Top 100 games with 9 remaining. We’re presently 0-5 against the top 50 and 1-6 against the top 100.

If we win, as you suggest, 1 of the 4 games against the ranked teams (let’s say Villanova) and lose to WSU, plus home/away vs Cincy and then have the remaining 12 wins come from the best (highest rated) teams left on the schedule we’d have a resume of being 3-9 vs the top 50 and 7-9 vs the top 100 (and that’s not to get into the double-edged sword that when we win games vs the top 100 it drops the opponent’s rating and make our win vs them lesser in quality for us). But you think a team with wins over Villanova, Oregon, Houston, SMU, Temple (2x) and UCF is an at large team?

Yes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Powerball and Mega Millions exist for (and because of) people with your optimism.

I don't play either one of those, but thanks...

Reaction Score
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Reaction Score
Jalen did not have a great game. He put up fine numbers, but his usage is insanely high. There are 100 guards in D1 ball who can put up 18 points on 20 shots. he shot 7/20 from the field--that's atrocious. He MUST be more efficient if he expects to lead a team.

Reaction Score

And that’s a ridiculously BIG if.

Reaction Score
the crowd was fine. larrier was solid.

that was definitely not a very nice performance from jalen. no way
the team intensity was pretty good but our 'active' defense has too many holes. not questioning the effort yesterday but its just a poorly coached zone that doesn't understand all of the rotations and when to be aggressive. a smart team (wichita) can create open 3s at will against our 'scheme'. and they did

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) I was shocked by the crowd. I didn’t think there’d be 9,000 people there.

2) The newest variation of a starting lineup was coaching malpractice. Stop playing games. If you don’t know what your best lineup is after 12 games, you’re the problem, coach. I can help - Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra and Cobb. Bring in Anderson, Polley, Carlton and Whaley off the bench. There.

3) Play Carlton, Diarra and Polley. Play them a lot because this season is done and you’re going to need these three going forward.

4) I give Larrier and Adams the benefit of the doubt because they’re working with nothing and the opposing coach has absolutely nothing to think about after setting his defense to stop those two.

5) Vital needs to stop the hero ball. Anderson stole the ball late in the first half and made the mistake of passing to Vital who took a long three after a two second possession. Two seconds. Long rebound to Wichita and Reaves hits a three at the other end. That sequence took about eight seconds. He just needs to relax - too focused on numbers. And, as Calhoun says, he is in love with his jump shot more than he should be.

6) I think the 2-3 zone fits this team. Carlton, in particular, seems to thrive in it. Stick with it, but have some other answers other than man when the opponent adjusts. As per usual, we were one answer short when WSU changed their zone offense in the second half.

7) Don’t lose to Tulsa.
1) why would you be shocked its only losers on here that don't support the team and say fire Ollie
2) Cobb doesnt care about every possesion or any for that matter. He can't start or play for any large amt of time until he figures that out.
3) I agree but add Whaley
4) So does KO and that is why you want him fired because they just aren't that good yet. We are what these 2 players are. about 175th in the nation.
5) Agreed on Vital. We will be good when he knows his role as a tough defender and wide open 3 point shooter from a spot he knows he can make it from with 15 minute of playing time because everyone else is better.
6) hate zone because teams like WSU will always adjust and find wide open shots, but... we played much better defense with it.
7) This team is most likely going to lose to Tulsa, if they don't lose KO has helped coach his team and shown improvement.

Reaction Score
Your optimism in the face of reality is impressive. Unfortunately none of us on here can do anything about how the team plays the rest of the season. But maybe you could coach the team. Your attitude could be infectious.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Your optimism in the face of reality is impressive. Unfortunately none of us on here can do anything about how the team plays the rest of the season. But maybe you could coach the team. Your attitude could be infectious.

If I coached the team, do you know the first thing I would tell these kids?

To stay off this site.

Nope, I'm not kidding. That would be the most important message: stay away from the Boneyard and try to stay away from most forms of social media. Because most of the people out there criticizing you don't have the slightest clue what it takes to be a high level athlete or to put in numerous hours every day to get better at your craft. Plain and simple...

Reaction Score
If I coached the team, do you know the first thing I would tell these kids?

To stay off this site.

Nope, I'm not kidding. That would be the most important message: stay away from the Boneyard and try to stay away from most forms of social media. Because most of the people out there criticizing you don't have the slightest clue what it takes to be a high level athlete or to put in numerous hours every day to get better at your craft. Plain and simple...

I wholly concur.

They should be spending more time in the weight room, the film room, or the gym working on their horrendous shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom