Pre-Tulsa Positives | The Boneyard

Pre-Tulsa Positives

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I know we lost, so that I don't have to deal with posts telling me that already. There were some definite positives that I saw today that I hope will continue to gain steam into the Tulsa game and beyond:

1) Crowd - 15,600 strong even with the snow that was falling, and the energy was great. That was finally a UConn crowd and I hope to see some more of that going forward

2) Energy - the team's energy was so much better today. Night and day when compared to the Auburn game. Great defensive intensity and a nice job doubling and switching all day, as evidenced by the 12 steals against a top 10 opponent.

3) Jalen - a very nice performance by him, especially running the point for quite a large chunk of the game. Not perfect on every decision, but he played a hard-nosed game and gave us a chance to win. If he stays next year with the addition of Akinjo, Gilbert, and Wilson, 2018 will be extremely bright.

4) Larrier - made a lot of big buckets and looked to have a lot more spring in his step. Like Jalen, gave us a chance to win.

5) Youth - players like Whaley, Diarra, and Carlton showed a bit more today than they did prior. There's improvement there and if they continue their growth, the future is bright.

6) Ollie - quick timeouts, good switches to the 2-3 zone which was extremely active and pretty effective, and with the exception of the curious DO start, handled the subs pretty well to accommodate the large amount of zone we played.

Again, I wanted the win. But this was a much more UConn-like performance, and there was plenty improvement today to take into conference play and the future...

Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I know we lost, so that I don't have to deal with posts telling me that already. There were some definite positives that I saw today that I hope will continue to gain steam into the Tulsa game and beyond:

1) Crowd - 15,600 strong even with the snow that was falling, and the energy was great. That was finally a UConn crowd and I hope to see some more of that going forward

2) Energy - the team's energy was so much better today. Night and day when compared to the Auburn game. Great defensive intensity and a nice job doubling and switching all day, as evidenced by the 12 steals against a top 10 opponent.

3) Jalen - a very nice performance by him, especially running the point for quite a large chunk of the game. Not perfect on every decision, but he played a hard-nosed game and gave us a chance to win. If he stays next year with the addition of Akinjo, Gilbert, and Wilson, 2018 will be extremely bright.

4) Larrier - made a lot of big buckets and looked to have a lot more spring in his step. Like Jalen, gave us a chance to win.

5) Youth - players like Whaley, Diarra, and Carlton showed a bit more today than they did prior. There's improvement there and if they continue their growth, the future is bright.

6) Ollie - quick timeouts, good switches to the 2-3 zone which was extremely active and pretty effective, and with the exception of the curious DO start, handled the subs pretty well to accommodate the large amount of zone we played.

Again, I wanted the win. But this was a much more UConn-like performance, and there was plenty improvement today to take into conference play and the future...
Yup, lots of better things happened, but too many things didn’t. At least 2 illegal screens. If that is your offense, can’t have those lapses. Not sure why shooting is so bad so often. Not likely to change.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yup, lots of better things happened, but too many things didn’t. At least 2 illegal screens. If that is your offense, can’t have those lapses. Not sure why shooting is so bad so often. Not likely to change.

The shooting will improve as the shot selection improves. But today was uncharacteristically poor from the outside (12% lower than season average). We just couldn't afford to be that cold today. And Cobb probably didn't need to perform the "heat check" after his first make, either. But it will get better...

Reaction Score

Wow. I’m not there with you on 2 to 6. Hate to be a spoilsport and I’m not going to refute each point because it’s been done elsewhere but my eyeballs told me a different story.

Reaction Score
I didn't think JA had a great game. Those euro steps into 3 defenders needs to stop and he either needs to lob to a big man or kick it out. Sadly there are no big men in the paint and they're at the 3 point line and we wind up with Cobb shooting 3's. 50% on the day for him from deep :) . This team neeeeeeeeds to stop fouling. Every game before the 10 minute mark in either half the other team is in the bonus. Those free points are killing us. Luckily while Wichita St. is lights out from 3.. they can't shoot free throws worth a damn.. but take a few of those 1 and 1's off the board and it's a two/three possession game and we're fighting for something in the last 5 minutes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wow. I’m not there with you on 2 to 6. Hate to be a spoilsport and I’m not going to refute each point because it’s been done elsewhere but my eyeballs told me a different story.

Well, you're entitled to feel that way obviously. But let me add some numbers to what I said in 2 through 6:

Jalen - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals. That's a good game. There's no other way to slice that one.

Larrier - 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists. Not as good a stat line as Jalen, but he shot almost 50% from the field.

Energy - I'm not sure how someone could see it otherwise, but the energy was certainly much better especially considering that there were 12 steals and less lazy turnovers (11 TOs total).

Again, agree to disagree. Also, a shout out to Vital who had a nice game as well...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
How was energy the last 5 minutes? How was KO's second half coaching? His play calling out of time outs? The only thing I agree with is Larrier had a good game. Vital had some moments but also some head scratchers. End of the day, stats don't always tell how someone played. The true gauge is the eye test.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How was energy the last 5 minutes? How was KO's second half coaching? His play calling out of time outs? The only thing I agree with is Larrier had a good game. Vital had some moments but also some head scratchers. End of the day, stats don't always tell how someone played. The true gauge is the eye test.

Vital had 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 steals. That's much better than "some moments". So I'll rely on my own eye test as the barometer for how they played...

Reaction Score

I admire your continued positive outlook UconnDan97. You are a light in the darkness.

Reaction Score
Well, you're entitled to feel that way obviously. But let me add some numbers to what I said in 2 through 6:

Jalen - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals. That's a good game. There's no other way to slice that one.

Larrier - 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists. Not as good a stat line as Jalen, but he shot almost 50% from the field.

Energy - I'm not sure how someone could see it otherwise, but the energy was certainly much better especially considering that there were 12 steals and less lazy turnovers (11 TOs total).

Again, agree to disagree. Also, a shout out to Vital who had a nice game as well...
And we didn’t start down by 15 points
Ollie was active and vocal
Like most of Zona and MSU we played up to our competition (hope we stop playing down)
Defense was there as was a game plan, based on actual scouting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) I was shocked by the crowd. I didn’t think there’d be 9,000 people there.

2) The newest variation of a starting lineup was coaching malpractice. Stop playing games. If you don’t know what your best lineup is after 12 games, you’re the problem, coach. I can help - Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra and Cobb. Bring in Anderson, Polley, Carlton and Whaley off the bench. There.

3) Play Carlton, Diarra and Polley. Play them a lot because this season is done and you’re going to need these three going forward.

4) I give Larrier and Adams the benefit of the doubt because they’re working with nothing and the opposing coach has absolutely nothing to think about after setting his defense to stop those two.

5) Vital needs to stop the hero ball. Anderson stole the ball late in the first half and made the mistake of passing to Vital who took a long three after a two second possession. Two seconds. Long rebound to Wichita and Reaves hits a three at the other end. That sequence took about eight seconds. He just needs to relax - too focused on numbers. And, as Calhoun says, he is in love with his jump shot more than he should be.

6) I think the 2-3 zone fits this team. Carlton, in particular, seems to thrive in it. Stick with it, but have some other answers other than man when the opponent adjusts. As per usual, we were one answer short when WSU changed their zone offense in the second half.

7) Don’t lose to Tulsa.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
1) I was shocked by the crowd. I didn’t think there’d be 9,000 people there.

2) The newest variation of a starting lineup was coaching malpractice. Stop playing games. If you don’t know what your best lineup is after 12 games, you’re the problem, coach. I can help - Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra and Cobb. Bring in Anderson, Polley, Carlton and Whaley off the bench. There.

3) Play Carlton, Diarra and Polley. Play them a lot because this season is done and you’re going to need these three going forward.

4) I give Larrier and Adams the benefit of the doubt because they’re working with nothing and the opposing coach has absolutely nothing to think about after setting his defense to stop those two.

5) Vital needs to stop the hero ball. Anderson stole the ball late in the first half and made the mistake of passing to Vital who took a long three after a two second possession. Two seconds. Long rebound to Wichita and Reaves hits a three at the other end. That sequence took about eight seconds. He just needs to relax - too focused on numbers. And, as Calhoun says, he is in love with his jump shot more than he should be.

6) I think the 2-3 zone fits this team. Carlton, in particular, seems to thrive in it. Stick with it, but have some other answers other than man when the opponent adjusts. As per usual, we were one answer short when WSU changed their zone offense in the second half.

7) Don’t lose to Tulsa.

I'm actually favoring Carlton as the starting center over Cobb (and certainly over DO). And I want to see a healthy dose of Carlton, Diarra, Whaley, and Polley, but not because the season is lost. It's not lost until Selection Sunday if we aren't one of the teams chosen.

I agree with you that the 2-3 zone seems to really fit Carlton and the team in general. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of it going forward.

And yes... don't lose to Tulsa...

Reaction Score

Didn’t want to get into it but OK, Jalen was 7-20 and almost all of his points are drive and prayer. He’s a poor outside shooter 0-3 from 3 and not shooting good outside of drives, which by the way the defense was ready for. Larrier is 0-3 from 3 and while he converted jump shots inside the line, he has no handle. He can’t drive or he gets stripped. This is why he did not drive or go to the line. At all. They are our best players so for them to not convert some of those 3’s is huge. Three 3’s between those 2 players at minimum, 9 points. WS shot nearly 50%. Larrier needed to convert 5-6 foul shots at his size but he does not mix it up. They were decent players today but no more than that and this team needs them to ‘be more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to get into it but OK, Jalen was 7-20 and almost all of his points are drive and prayer. He’s a poor outside shooter 0-3 from 3 and not shooting good outside of drives, which by the way the defense was ready for. Larrier is 0-3 from 3 and while he converted jump shots inside the line, he has no handle. He can’t drive or he gets stripped. This is why he did not drive or go to the line. At all. They are our best players so for them to not convert some of those 3’s is huge. Three 3’s between those 2 players at minimum, 9 points. WS shot nearly 50%. Larrier needed to convert 5-6 foul shots at his size but he does not mix it up. They were decent players today but no more than that and this team needs them to ‘be more.

You're right...you shouldn't have gotten into it. Jalen and Terry combined for 36 points and slightly less than 50% from the field, along with the 8 boards, 5 steals, and 8 assists. They were certainly better than "decent"...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm actually favoring Carlton as the starting center over Cobb (and certainly over DO). And I want to see a healthy dose of Carlton, Diarra, Whaley, and Polley, but not because the season is lost. It's not lost until Selection Sunday if we aren't one of the teams chosen.

I agree with you that the 2-3 zone seems to really fit Carlton and the team in general. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of it going forward.

The only reason why I would not start Carlton yet is that he is still pretty foul prone.

Cobb is a smidge calmer and he shoots threes now.....

Reaction Score

You thought Jalen played well? No other way to slice it? This isn’t rotisserie basketball. Finally, your continual “ability” to find silver linings makes sense. Wow. That was a pretty costly 18 when you consider that he personally had an empty/scoreless 16 possessions of our 47 scoreless trips. On the flip side he was involved in 13 possessions in which we scored. Those are Carmelo Anthony-like stats

He was 7 for 20 (35%), 0-3 from 3 and had the world’s most generous turnover number (3). He may have regressed more than any UConn player in my 30+ years of following UConn. In the words of Danny Ainge today, “Adams makes some tough shots...because he takes very few good shots.”

Reaction Score

I’m curious what path you think is required for us right now to receive an at-large bid on Selection Sunday? Keep in mind we’re currently ranked about 125 and we are 1 game from .500.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The knockout punches from Michigan State, Zona, & today all came from a flurry of 3 point shots. Terrible defending it in critical stretches this year. They've come in bunches and have been daggers.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The only reason why I would not start Carlton yet is that he is still pretty foul prone.

Cobb is a smidge calmer and he shoots threes now.....

You could see Cobb was going to try the "heat check" the very next time he got the ball. ;)

In terms of foul trouble, I'll be honest; with this team, I think you let the best guy go for it until he fouls out and then you go to the next best guy. If Carlton doesn't pick up 5 fouls, you didn't use him enough IMO...

Reaction Score
Don't make it personal. Nobody is forcing you to post in this thread...
Relax. It’s not personal beyond you are the one who made the comments. I’m disagreeing. It wasn’t intended as a commentary on your decency and humanity. I genuinely am perplexed by your optimism, and in this case, your observations. I get being a loyal and passionate fan. I really do. But I cant figure out how you come to the
that list of positives from the game today or your continual defense of the program (and Ollie) game after game (I realize this is a generalization).

As for my choice to post btw, you seem to gladly accept the compliments by those who share your point of view. You probably need to be a bit thicker skinned by opposing points of view. It’s not your personal diary. If you aren’t OK with reactions to, and criticisms of your posts, you may want to refrain from putting it out there.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Relax. It’s not personal beyond you are the one who made the comments. I’m disagreeing. It wasn’t intended as a commentary on your decency and humanity. I genuinely am perplexed by your optimism, and in this case, your observations. I get being a loyal and passionate fan. I really do. But I cant figure out how you come to the
that list of positives from the game today or your continual defense of the program (and Ollie) game after game (I realize this is a generalization).

As for my choice to post btw, you seem to gladly accept the compliments by those who share your point of view. You probably need to be a bit thicker skinned by opposing points of view. It’s not your personal diary. If you aren’t OK with reactions to, and criticisms of your posts, you may want to refrain from putting it out there.

There are opposing points of view in this very thread, without issue. Again, if you don't understand me, you don't have to interact with me in this thread...

Reaction Score
There are opposing points of view in this very thread, without issue. Again, if you don't understand me, you don't have to interact with me in this thread...
You know that goes both ways, right?

Reaction Score
If you include Oregon as a good team, UConn is 1 and 6 against good teams, with the average margin in the losses of 19 points. We dont even have a starting lineup after 13 games and are last in all of Division 1 in assists. LAST as in DEAD LAST of 351 teams. Hero ball just won't work against talented well coached teams.

I see how you saw some positives today in terms of energy and some nice plays by Adams and Larrier, but it's almost all hero ball, which is just fool's gold against the tougher teams. And to put out a starting lineup where only 2 of the 5 guys score is baffling. I was proud that the kids competed hard today, but the low basketball iq is widespread. For example, when Larrier got hot, Vital launched a 28' three that killed the momentum. The team simply needs to play smarter if the want to get any quality wins.

I would argue that this team has plenty of talent to compete with ranked teams IF they play as a team and play smart. But without those things, we are likely to see more double digit losses against quality teams.

So yes, there were some reasons for optimism today, however, there are many reasons for concern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom