Pre-Season Prediction Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pre-Season Prediction Thread

Reaction Score
Without question. I think we'll play hard and be a team to be reckoned with night in and night out, at the very least.

Last year, it felt like we were walking into the ring with a heavyweight champ every game, just waiting to get knocked out.

We got knocked out by some featherweights too

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
  • It is almost universally true that college players improve over their careers. It's why senior laden teams with lower level talent can still be very strong (see: Wichita State)
  • Gilbert's surgery was entirely different. A permanent fix this time. Not sure why people aren't aware of this.
  • Gilbert was a 5*, J Adams a 4-5*, Wilson a 4*, Diarra a 4*
  • Carlton, Vital and Polley are solid 3* players so far.
Go count the 4* players on other teams in the conference. Memphis has 3 coming in, Houston one.
In 2017 there was one, to Cinci (Cumberland)
In 2016 UConn had 4 (3 transferred out), Cinci 1. No others.
In 2015 UConn had a 5* and a 4* Memphis had 3 4s, SMU had 2, USF 1, Temple 2, Cinci 2. (good year, right after UConn won a NC)

UConn and Memphis have the most talent in the league by recruiting metrics. Wichita State brought in 7 3* players last year. That's what they win with. Veteran 3* guys. Guys like Vital, and Smith and Yawke.

Ollie's subpar classes were still outpacing the rest of the conference. There's no reason Hurley shouldn't be able to experience success with the players he inherited, although maybe not to the degree some here are predicting.

Reaction Score
Ollie's subpar classes were still outpacing the rest of the conference. There's no reason Hurley shouldn't be able to experience success with the players he inherited, although maybe not to the degree some here are predicting.

What a balanced and reasonable take!

pj

Reaction Score
We’re starting with a team that, for the past two years hasn’t been able to score, defend or rebound.

But nevertheless won 16 and 14 games.

Now they have better talent, better coaching, and they'll score, defend, and rebound.

So 20 wins should be easy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to a twenty five win season and students camping out in front of Gampel.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
5 games over .500

The impossible question. I'm really hoping for 20 wins....and whatever amount of losses that equals.

I'll be satisfied with 5 games over .500 though, after finishing as we did last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't we have 31 regular season games? By my count I'll guess 21-10 in the regular season

Right, the schedule I was counting based off doesn't have the 2nd tournament game because there is no opponent yet. I'll say 20-11.

Reaction Score
I meant to pin the original, but I saw a spider or something, got distracted, and the thought was gone until a few minutes ago.
They say you’re always within 3 feet of a spider, might be a little less for you.

Reaction Score
28-3.

Finish season Top 10

AAC Regular season champs and Tourney runner-up, tho.

#5 seed in NCAAs

Win championship over Duke...80-76
I love how in your mind we cant win our conference tourney but we can winn the NCAA tourney and beat Duke while we`re at it.

Reaction Score
At first I was like “what are ya’ll smoking?” with some of the 20+ wins... but the thing is when I looked at who you had the wins against, there is no reason NOT.

I go back to last Thanksgiving when we beat Oregon and I got really excited - and then the first half against Michigan State, we looked like maybe a good team. That second half is when the wheels came off and no one could find the lug nuts.

But we were really good against Oregon.

We’re freaking UConn and we win 20 games a year. We don’t lose to Lafayette. I don’t even think we lose many applicants to schools like that anymore academically! We certainly don’t lose to them in men’s basketball.

I want to go back to when it was cute when we deigned to play them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom