Pre-season Message to Natalie B | The Boneyard

Pre-season Message to Natalie B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And... Please... (title says it all)...

Touche' Bigbird....well done!. I sincerely hopes she takes your cue. :)

Reaction Score
Hey, I don't EVER remember Kaili McLaren's feet leaving the ground (her "running" stride had an EXTREMELY abbreviated flight phase), yet she was a handful to deal with, had the best court vision of any UConn player EVERY (yes, better than Bird or DT), could pass like nobody's business, and a 15 footer was well within her range.

She will find HER way to contribute. Yes, a 36" vertical would be a good start, but if wishes were wings, pigs would fly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey, I don't EVER remember Kaili McLaren's feet leaving the ground (her "running" stride had an EXTREMELY abbreviated flight phase), yet she was a handful to deal with, had the best court vision of any UConn player EVERY (yes, better than Bird or DT), could pass like nobody's business, and a 15 footer was well within her range.

She will find HER way to contribute. Yes, a 36" vertical would be a good start, but if wishes were wings, pigs would fly.
Oh so not fair. Not far off the ground but her feet did leave the ground-bareLy.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
C'mon guys, I wasn't ripping anybody. It's an observable thing that the coaches have surely mentioned to her. This is Nat's year to really step up, and I am guessing (admittedly) that she thinks so too. I hope so.

We have Gabby, who plays way above her height, which helps the team. Playing below your height, well...

We won't have quite the same length at the rim this year, but UConn won't be playing small ball either. Can't wait to see their chemistry evolve!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There are too many posters on to this board who seem to think that Butler will report to practice no better than she was when last season ended. Barring injury, I believe she will be a major contributor this season. I believe she has been working very hard to improve her game because she can see the opportunity to play more and start is even greater than it was last season. There is no way she has not improved if she is as determined as she was before last season started. I believe she will surprise many of you in a good way. This team needs her to play at least as well as she did when she was a freshman.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Oh so not fair. Not far off the ground but her feet did leave the ground-bareLy.

Can't remember having so much fun watching a set of UCONN highlights as I did with that video!

So many plays with just outstanding ball movement. Yes, they are called 'highlights' for a reason, but as Geno might say, the ball movement on display throughout was really, really, really good.

Reaction Score
The Natalie nay-sayers forget that at this time last year, pre-thumb injury, everyone from coaches to players said Natalie is playing great and looks great and has made huge strides and all indications were she would be starting at Center! That thumb injury at that time completely destroyed her season!
Reading her comments of about a month ago, she wants to be a force on this team very badly and has put in many, many hours with CD and Marissa over the summer to make the coaches decision an easy one!
I truly feel that if Natalie can stay healthy she will start at Center and be a force in games her last 2 years!
IMO the starting lineup Nov, 1st and early season will be:
Natalie Butler C
Napheesa Collier PF
KLS SF
Kia Nurse PG/SG
Saniya Chong SG/PG

Gabby Williams will be the 1st off the bench to add a spark of speed and athletic defense to the lineup. She brings something most other teams don't have, the best athlete he's ever coached!
The 3 freshmen will be added as they get experience.
Mid-season Crystal Dangerfield may get in the starting lineup as PG as she gets the hang of the college game. Remember Geno expects more from his PG than anyone else! He tells the new PG's "they have to know EVERYONE's position and if anyone messes up it's the PG's fault!"

Reaction Score
Gabby should be the starter instead of Saniya. Never know which Saniya shows up and it has been 3 years of this. I hope she is more consistent. She can be instant offense like John Gwynn was for the men off the bench.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just some thoughts and comments on Natalie. She can shoot, score rebound and makes her foul shots. Lets not compare her to Stewie or Tuck or anybody else. Shes Natalie Butler and she will be fine. Remember all the comments about Steph Dolsen? Remember when Tina couldnt make foul shots. Well imo Natalie is better right now then theur was her freshman and soph seasons. The coaching staff brought Steph and Tina around and they will bring Natalie around. Dont worry about it. Shes 6'5 and we need her height against most teams. The only questions I would worry about is she healthy. As far as her contribution to the team and a starter. If shes developed like the coaching staff wants her to be developed and she works hard she will start if not then she wont. Plain and simple. She either starts or she doesnt start. I think she starts and will be a threat.

Reaction Score
Natalie now begins as a 2 year project as she continues to feel her way into the starting role, still transitioning into being an essential piece of the most storied program in WCBB. I suspect that wasn't something she was realistically thinking about in high school and she probably still needs time to grow into that self-realization. The challenge to be a leader on the court among more highly touted players will be as much mental as physical. It's like a rookie catcher suddenly having to manage the game of a Cy Young winner. CD will be patient; so should we.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel good about Butlers contribution this year. Like others have noted she was injured after having sat for a year and joined the team after roles had been established. That's tough to do. I do think that her speed is an issue, only because the rest of the returning team (not to mention Crystal) can get up and down the court very quickly. The comparison to Steph early in her career is a good one. She often lagged behind her teammates.

That said I have faith in Butler and in Geno and CD's ability to maximixe her contribution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just some thoughts and comments on Natalie. She can shoot, score rebound and makes her foul shots. Lets not compare her to Stewie or Tuck or anybody else. Shes Natalie Butler and she will be fine. Remember all the comments about Steph Dolsen? Remember when Tina couldnt make foul shots. Well imo Natalie is better right now then theur was her freshman and soph seasons. The coaching staff brought Steph and Tina around and they will bring Natalie around. Dont worry about it. Shes 6'5 and we need her height against most teams. The only questions I would worry about is she healthy. As far as her contribution to the team and a starter. If shes developed like the coaching staff wants her to be developed and she works hard she will start if not then she wont. Plain and simple. She either starts or she doesnt start. I think she starts and will be a threat.

Well said, Tonyc. I agree….Natalie will be Natalie…let’s not compare.

I think she will fit well in the big plan.

The following is not meant to compare….I just want to illustrate her potential.

Some interesting numbers from last year

Min played --- stats

Top 3 --- Points per min
…………………..Min…PTS….P/Min
Stewart……….811…548…(0.676)
Butler………….253…127…(0.502)
Williams……..552…273…(0.495)

Top 3 --- Rebounds per min
…………………..Min…Reb…R/Min
Butler…………253…..85…(0.336)
Collier…………523…166..(0.317)
Williams……..552…169..(0.306)

Top 3 --- Blocks per min
…………………..Min…Blk…B/Min
Stewart……….811…97...(0.119)
Collier…………523….41…(0.078)
Butler…………253….18…(0.071)

1st in Rebounds per minutes played
2nd in Points per minutes played
3rd in Block per minutes played

For the critics…

Yes…some of these minutes were against opponents 2nd sting. But, some weren’t,…

Plus…remember…she was recovering from a serious hand injury that needed surgery.

Some interesting freshmen stats from Georgetown….

2013-14
Category ------------------National Ranking-----Big East Ranking
Rebounds (13.3pg) -----5th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Double Doubles (24) -- 9th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Blocks (1.84pg) --------- 55th-8th Fresh--------2nd--1st Fresh
Field-Goal % (49.1) ----78th 5th Fresh---------3rd--1st Fresh

Just a little note…2013-14 Georgetown’s coaching/training staff was in shambles....She now has the best of the best to work with her.

I think she will contribute.

Reaction Score
Because our Board is, after all, a booster forum and not primarily a place for objective basketball analysis, even the most sober and well-reasoned commentary about certain UConn players tends to be frowned upon if it is not couched in the most glowing terms. They are interpreted as ad hominem attacks whether so intended or not. Like all fans of our favorite team, I would like nothing more than to see Natalie emerge as the player so many of you are confident that she can be. I regret to say that based upon what we have seen up to now, whether injury-related or otherwise, she has yet to give evidence that she belongs in the starting lineup, and I remain somewhat skeptical...hopeful, but skeptical. If that makes me a "naysayer," that's ok by me. She has to prove she can run consistently in this high tempo offense, has to prove that she can be a force on the boards, and has to demonstrate improved hand skills to handle the assist opportunities that will inevitably come her way. I am ardently hopeful that she will succeed. Those who seem so certain that she will, thus far, do not have much objective evidence that she can...sorry!

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Well said, Tonyc. I agree….Natalie will be Natalie…let’s not compare.

I think she will fit well in the big plan.

The following is not meant to compare….I just want to illustrate her potential.

Some interesting numbers from last year

Min played --- stats

Top 3 --- Points per min
…………………..Min…PTS….P/Min
Stewart……….811…548…(0.676)
Butler………….253…127…(0.502)
Williams……..552…273…(0.495)

Top 3 --- Rebounds per min
…………………..Min…Reb…R/Min
Butler…………253…..85…(0.336)
Collier…………523…166..(0.317)
Williams……..552…169..(0.306)

Top 3 --- Blocks per min
…………………..Min…Blk…B/Min
Stewart……….811…97...(0.119)
Collier…………523….41…(0.078)
Butler…………253….18…(0.071)

1st in Rebounds per minutes played
2nd in Points per minutes played
3rd in Block per minutes played

For the critics…

Yes…some of these minutes were against opponents 2nd sting. But, some weren’t,…

Plus…remember…she was recovering from a serious hand injury that needed surgery.

Some interesting freshmen stats from Georgetown….

2013-14
Category ------------------National Ranking-----Big East Ranking
Rebounds (13.3pg) -----5th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Double Doubles (24) -- 9th---1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Blocks (1.84pg) --------- 55th-8th Fresh--------2nd--1st Fresh
Field-Goal % (49.1) ----78th 5th Fresh---------3rd--1st Fresh

Just a little note…2013-14 Georgetown’s coaching/training staff was in shambles....She now has the best of the best to work with her.

I think she will contribute.
The problem with those stats is that for the most part Butler played late in the game often against the opponents bench. BTW McLaren is the last person I would use as an example of fitness or rebounding. She may have been one of the most talented under achievers to ever wear a UConn uniform.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It wasn't until years later, when McLaren was dominating on her Greek team, that it came out she played her last two years at UConn with very serious feet and ankle problems. Why did we not know this? Most likely because she would not release any medical info, which is private. So I would not say she under achieved. I think she did as well as she could given the circumstances. Sometimes we don't have the facts, jack. Sometimes we just judge on what we see at the time...(present company included).

Reaction Score
No way Saniya starts. Crystal will start because she has much more upside, but also so they can have the same starting five for the tournament. Gabby starts because she is a better player than Napheesa at this point.
Gabby should be the starter instead of Saniya. Never know which Saniya shows up and it has been 3 years of this. I hope she is more consistent. She can be instant offense like John Gwynn was for the men off the bench.

Kia Nurse is not going to be the starting point guard. Like Mo, Crystal will be a game changer on D. She will wreak havoc on the opposition.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No way Saniya starts. Crystal will start because she has much more upside, but also so they can have the same starting five for the tournament. Gabby starts because she is a better player than Napheesa at this point.

Kia Nurse is not going to be the starting point guard. Like Mo, Crystal will be a game changer on D. She will wreak havoc on the opposition.
Do you have evidence that Gabby is a better player at this point or are you going by last year's play? Have you been watching the players practice this Summer? If so, please let the board know what you have seen. Upside won't be the deciding factor for who starts early on. Will Crystal know the system well enough to start?

Reaction Score

I said that only because Saniya should not start, Since Crystal signed all my post has her starting right away at point. I dont think Butler starts either unless she improves dramatically. Uconn won 3 NCs in a row with one player at 6 ft. 3in. and Collier is a lot better than you think. With the big 3 gone, Uconn has the Core 4 with Kia, Gabby, Napheesa and Lou.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Nobody I know is pulling for Saniya and Natalie more than I am. They are my kind of athletes. Each has had unexpected hurdles to rise above, and both can be very strong contributors before the smoke clears. Both have shown a glimpse of what they can be, but from here on it's a matter of developing confidence and consistency. Unfortunately, the fan base cannot help them much at all, no matter how much we'd like to.

Reaction Score
The problem with those stats is that for the most part Butler played late in the game often against the opponents bench. BTW McLaren is the last person I would use as an example of fitness or rebounding. She may have been one of the most talented under achievers to ever wear a UConn uniform.

Yes…I agree…that is why is stated my comment after the stats.

Please don’t think I was trying to take anything away from the other players. Not my point on this post.

My point was…she didn’t do so shabby considering her circumstances, recovering from surgery, and working to gain her confidence back. I’m sure it was very deflating, going from Big East Freshmen of the year, sitting out the next (redshirt), than missing part of the season due to the injury.

I’m sure Nat’s working hard to get herself ready. Geno & co. will bring out her best.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have always been impressed with Natalie, especially after the Mississippi game. In the game against Mississippi she made that move to the basket, and you could see that CD liked what she seen. I believe Natalie will be fine, because over the summer according to reports she has been in the gym working with CD. Natalie remind me of Kara Wolters in some ways.

Reaction Score

Optical illusion. Gravity bending light.

:D

JUST KIDDING!!! Thanks for the post. Loved watching her pass the ball. Most fun this side of Taurasi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin