Pre-Season All-American team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pre-Season All-American team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It will be very hard to put 3 from same school on first team.

Excellent point! My sportswriter friend defended the omission of Hartley last year partly because, after all, he already named two UConn players (Stewie and Kaleena) to his pre-season AA team. He implied a maximum "quota" of two AA players per any team.

One reason I am challenging him (privately and in a friendly spirit) to exceed this "quota" this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It will be very hard to put 3 from same school on first team. There are better scoring points than MoJeff, but in the UConn scheme she doesn't need to score. She just doesn't turn the ball over and creates more defensive chaos then any point I've seen in today's wcb.

If KML is left off, it should be very motivational.
And yet, last year Jefferson led the team in shooting percentage for starters. I was very impressed with her progression from freshman to sophomore year as I think every Uconn fan was, and while I do not expect quite such a dramatic jump this year, I think she remains highly motivated to improve.
FYI - Moriah missed being ranked in the field goal percentage category in the NCAA list because you had to make at least five per game, but the highest non-forward/center that did get ranked #44 Tori Niemann (W.Ill.) at 52.6%. Moriah at 57.5% would have ranked #14.

Reaction Score
MoJeff is more of a scorer than shooter. Her drives to the basket keeps her percentages up. She did increase her 3pt shooting but her ability to score with contact is her key. She will only be the first option though if she can beat her defender off the dribble or the defense sags in the paint to defend UConn's front line. I think there will be less paint sagging this year with Dolson's departure, unless of course Kiah blossoms on the offensive side.

Reaction Score
1st: Mitchell, Loyd, KML, Stewart, EWilliams
2nd: Moriah, Harrison, Bria Holmes, Courtney walker

Other honorable mention AA last year:
Alleyne, Oregon
Banham, Minnesota
Boyd, Cal
Ham by, Wake Forest
Hrynko, DePaul
Kaplan, Tulane
Logic, Iowa
Martinez, Iona
ONeil, Kentucky
Theriot, Nebraska
Welch, SoCar

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
My top 4 would be:

Breanna Stewart-No explanation needed
KML-she was injury plagued last year but she ended the season strong and her play in the NCAA was fantastic, 2nd only to Stewart
Jewel Lloyd-Obvious choice. Excellent scorer and the ND leader
Isabelle Harrison-Overlooked Tennessee post player. I think she can score and rebound. She could be Tennessee's best player not named Diamond. I think she will be a high draft pick, maybe higher then EWilliams and definitely higher than Ibiam from South Carolina

#5 stumps me somewhat. Could be any one of the following.

MoJeff-UCONN (hard to see 3 UCONN players on the 1st team)
Rachel Banham-Minnesota
Tiffany Mitchell-South Carolina (not even sure she will end the season as their best player)
Samantha Logic-Iowa (An underrated PG who could easily be a Lieberman finalist. If she has a great season I think she could be a high draft pick)
Elizabeth Williams-Duke (she needs to wow me this season in a statistic besides blocks. She may have a hard time scoring anything but rebound put backs this season as the Blue Devils will for all intentional purposes be without an elite point guard. I think Harrison is the better all around post player.

Let the season begin!!!

Reaction Score
I think Amber Orrange is going to put up some big numbers this year, but maybe not on pre-season list

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MoJeff is more of a scorer than shooter. Her drives to the basket keeps her percentages up. She did increase her 3pt shooting but her ability to score with contact is her key. She will only be the first option though if she can beat her defender off the dribble or the defense sags in the paint to defend UConn's front line. I think there will be less paint sagging this year with Dolson's departure, unless of course Kiah blossoms on the offensive side.
And yet she also led all scholarship players in 3 point percentage shooting. I agree she is not going to be the primary offensive option and she shouldn't be - having a PG be that person is never a good formula for a team. But her numbers last year prove that she was the most efficient scorer on the team and that is something a great PG should aspire to.

Reaction Score
Williams from Duke.... not looking at numbers now, but have her #s ever been that eye popping?

Is there any question after last year that MoJeff is a STUD??!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was talking with Cat last night about this thread. After reading and thinking more, I have a few more jet-lagged thoughts:

I like Scaife's game. I'm not sure if she'll be top 5 yet, but she's good.

Canada better than Caldwell? Could be. Caldwell's name was the one on the top of my head yesterday.

I like Amber Orrange and Lily Thompson. Orrange could be top 10, for sure.

Re Samantha Logic--as Mr. Spock would say, "It's perfectly logical."

I didn't see enough of the other players last year to comment. I know Harrison improved a lot, Coates was good, etc. But it's interesting in that the 2014 class was really good and the 2015 class looks quite weak (though KML has always been a star and Kiah could be one). As noted, Alexis Jones and Diamond DeShields would be in the conversation--if they were eligible to play. I'm sure there will be some surprises out there--players who are vastly improved or newbies who are unusually ready for prime-time. It'll be interesting to see who they are. Reflecting my true blue colors, I'll throw out 2 names of players who have been overlooked and could really impress--Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams. :)

Reaction Score
I was talking with Cat last night about this thread. After reading and thinking more, I have a few more jet-lagged thoughts:

I like Scaife's game. I'm not sure if she'll be top 5 yet, but she's good.

Canada better than Caldwell? Could be. Caldwell's name was the one on the top of my head yesterday.

I like Amber Orrange and Lily Thompson. Orrange could be top 10, for sure.

Re Samantha Logic--as Mr. Spock would say, "It's perfectly logical."

I didn't see enough of the other players last year to comment. I know Harrison improved a lot, Coates was good, etc. But it's interesting in that the 2014 class was really good and the 2015 class looks quite weak (though KML has always been a star and Kiah could be one). As noted, Alexis Jones and Diamond DeShields would be in the conversation--if they were eligible to play. I'm sure there will be some surprises out there--players who are vastly improved or newbies who are unusually ready for prime-time. It'll be interesting to see who they are. Reflecting my true blue colors, I'll throw out 2 names of players who have been overlooked and could really impress--Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams. :)

I think you also have to add Kiah Stokes to players being overlooked. Right now Kiah is one of the best centers in the country especially on the defensive end. If and this is a big if she can improve her offensive production by years end she will be an all-american.

Reaction Score
Pre season AA

Loyd
Scaife
Harrison
Williams
Stewart

Post Season AA

Loyd
Jefferson
Stewart
KML
Harrison

Reaction Score
In the recent Lindy's Sports College Basketball issue their Women's basketball section has their All-American Teams and TOP 25.

FIRST TEAM / SECOND TEAM / THIRD TEAM
G Jewell Loyd jr. ND/ G Marissa Janning jr. Creighton/ G Samantha Logic sr. Iowa
G Tiffany Mitchell jr. SoCar/ G Brittany Boyd sr. Calif/ G Rachel Theriot jr. Nebr
G Bria Holmes jr. WVU/ G Rachel Badham sr. MN/ G Courtney Walker jr. TXa&m
F Breanna Stewart jr. UCONN/ F Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis sr. UCONN/ F Jillian Alleyne jr. Oreg
C Isabelle Harrison sr. TN/ F/C Elizabeth Williams sr. Duke/ F Reshanda Gray sr. Calif

No MoJeff, T.Scaife, A. Orrange, K. Stokes,Kaela Davis, T. Hrynko?
E. Williams way overrated!
PG MoJeff, PF Stewart & SF KML will be on final AA 1st team as their stats will be the best at their positions!
Kiah Stokes will be at least 3rd team! If all 4 remain healthy the above 3 and Kiah Stokes should make FIRST TEAM but only 3 will make it!
Rachel Badham and Samantha Logic are hidden jewels in MN & Iowa respectively!

TOP 25
1. UCONN
2. So.Car
3. ND
4. Stanf
5. TN
6. No.Car
7. MD
8. Baylor
9. TX a&m
10. L'ville
11. Duke