Pratt & Whitney Excess Acreage To Be Listed (Updated) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pratt & Whitney Excess Acreage To Be Listed (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How so?

We pass around money for political purposes. A little here, a little there. Everyone gets a piece and then there’s no more to actually fund the transformative projects that need to be done.

I understand what your saying…our cities get a great deal of funding from the state, what I really meant is that in my opinion the funding is for all the wrong projects and programs. We need to do a better at our investments.

Every state that is booming has a dominate and dynamic center city…our cities have been decaying for sometime with the exception of Stamford. And Stamford success has nothing to do with the state but more to do with proximity to NYC.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We pass around money for political purposes. A little here, a little there. Everyone gets a piece and then there’s no more to actually fund the transformative projects that need to be done.

I understand what your saying…our cities get a great deal of funding from the state, what I really meant is that in my opinion the funding is for all the wrong projects and programs. We need to do a better at our investments.

Every state that is booming has a dominate and dynamic center city…our cities have been decaying for sometime with the exception of Stamford. And Stamford success has nothing to do with the state but more to do with proximity to NYC.
Got it, and agree. I really hope Connecticut representatives and senators have pushed for Hartford to get a big chunk of cash from the infrastructure bill. A theme of that bill was correct thing racial inequities in infrastructure. A classic example of that is the way interstate projects have split the cities, often into “have“ and “have not” sections. I-84 really did a number on the city of Hartford. It would be entirely consistent with the professed goals of the bill to have the federal government foot the bill for a “big dig“ in Hartford which would reunite the sections of the city that were split by I-84. If done thoughtfully, it could be an economic boon to the city.

I could not agree more that Connecticut, and certainly other states around the nation, make very flawed investments in their cities which only act as a Band-Aid and seem to perpetuate the challenges that these communities face. Fundamentally sound urban planning could go along way to fixing that, but it’s much easier to throw a little money around to select projects and pretend that they are actually working to correct the problems.

I could go on but I’ve already stepped over the line on political posts, or at least run right up to it.

Reaction Score
Got it, and agree. I really hope Connecticut representatives and senators have pushed for Hartford to get a big chunk of cash from the infrastructure bill. A theme of that bill was correct thing racial inequities in infrastructure. A classic example of that is the way interstate projects have split the cities, often into “have“ and “have not” sections. I-84 really did a number on the city of Hartford. It would be entirely consistent with the professed goals of the bill to have the federal government foot the bill for a “big dig“ in Hartford which would reunite the sections of the city that were split by I-84. If done thoughtfully, it could be an economic boon to the city.

I could not agree more that Connecticut, and certainly other states around the nation, make very flawed investments in their cities which only act as a Band-Aid and seem to perpetuate the challenges that these communities face. Fundamentally sound urban planning could go along way to fixing that, but it’s much easier to throw a little money around to select projects and pretend that they are actually working to correct the problems.

I could go on but I’ve already stepped over the line on political posts, or at least run right up to it.
Agree that getting -1-84/1-91 underground to recapture the city would be hugely beneficial by reconnecting the river properly with the city, eliminating the highway divide between downtown and its north and west areas. Massive savings in time and reduction in pollution would be building a bypass from Bridgeport to lower Long Island and then to Jersey to bypass NYC bottlenecks. If they can do it between England and France, we can do it here. I'd pay $25 way to circumvent NYC with a more direct bypass route.. Then build out the Ports in Bridgeport to become a major distribution hub.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree that getting -1-84/1-91 underground to recapture the city would be hugely beneficial by reconnecting the river properly with the city, eliminating the highway divide between downtown and its north and west areas. Massive savings in time and reduction in pollution would be building a bypass from Bridgeport to lower Long Island and then to Jersey to bypass NYC bottlenecks. If they can do it between England and France, we can do it here. I'd pay $25 way to circumvent NYC with a more direct bypass route.. Then build out the Ports in Bridgeport to become a major distribution hub.
Yeah, that Bridgeport to Long Island to New Jersey tunnel just seems logistically pretty challenging. If you want to bypass NYC, why not just take the Tappan Zee and then 287?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yeah, that Bridgeport to Long Island to New Jersey tunnel just seems logistically pretty challenging. If you want to bypass NYC, why not just take the Tappan Zee and then 287?

He's not wrong on the CT <--> LI side. It needs to happen to help both sides.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport to Tappen Zee to 287 to Port Jefferson (logical terminus for the Bridgeport to Long Island tunnel) is 120+ miles and takes, at least, two hours. And you will likely still hit traffic. A tunnel from Bport to Port Jeff would be about 18 miles long and take 20 minutes.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bridgeport to Tappen Zee to 287 to Port Jefferson (logical terminus for the Bridgeport to Long Island tunnel) is 120+ miles and takes, at least, two hours. And you will likely still hit traffic. A tunnel from Bport to Port Jeff would be about 18 miles long and take 20 minutes.
Why would you take the Tappan Zee if you were going to Long Island? That makes zero sense. But if you’re talking about a bypass that goes from Bridgeport to Long Island then to New Jersey, taking the Tappan Zee is far more sensible

Reaction Score
I really hope Connecticut representatives and senators have pushed for Hartford to get a big chunk of cash from the infrastructure bill. A theme of that bill was correct thing racial inequities in infrastructure. A classic example of that is the way interstate projects have split the cities, often into “have“ and “have not” sections. I-84 really did a number on the city of Hartford.
By definition, any highway that passes through an urban center will "split" a city. The placement of those highways were a matter of public debate concerning a multitude of issues. To assert that I-84 was built where it is on racial grounds is an allegation that requires proof. My recollection is that highway construction in the area was more a product of economics with little forethought given to future trends. Who in their right mind would recommend putting I-91 along the river thereby cutting off the downtown from one of its most valuable areas for commercial development. Imagine all the restaurants and entertainment venues that got squashed by lousy planning. The question is whether spending billions now to reroute major highways rather than expanding them would be the best use of the available funds.

Reaction Score
By definition, any highway that passes through an urban center will "split" a city. The placement of those highways were a matter of public debate concerning a multitude of issues. To assert that I-84 was built where it is on racial grounds is an allegation that requires proof. My recollection is that highway construction in the area was more a product of economics with little forethought given to future trends. Who in their right mind would recommend putting I-91 along the river thereby cutting off the downtown from one of its most valuable areas for commercial development. Imagine all the restaurants and entertainment venues that got squashed by lousy planning. The question is whether spending billions now to reroute major highways rather than expanding them would be the best use of the available funds.
Don't believe he said that the division was purposeful with regard to race; more like it was an unintended consequence. Intended consequences would be Robert Moses' bridges on the Long Island Expressway...

Reaction Score
Don't believe he said that the division was purposeful with regard to race; more like it was an unintended consequence. Intended consequences would be Robert Moses' bridges on the Long Island Expressway...
The Robert Moses story is actually made up and not true fyi. Parkways have low bridges everywhere

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Am I reading this right?

You want to build a tunnel from Connecticut to New Jersey?

Reaction Score
A bit more complicated than that: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
That article is also incorrect. They spoke with the guy who designed the bridges, Arnold Vollmer and he said the story is BS. In addition, you can still get to Jones Beach, the place the story is suppose to be about, by Bus and Train, as you always could. Pretty much everyone involved in spreading that information a few months back has retracted their story.

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn’t say that 84 was built “on racial grounds“. What I did say is that it’s impact is greater on minorities (due to the racial composition of Hartford vs the burbs).

I didn’t write the infrastructure bill, nor did I vote it into law, but if it is looking to address racial in equities in infrastructure, Hartford squarely meets that definition and the state should seek out and gain funding for remediating that issue (aka I-84 big dig.)

Connecticut taxpayers pay their share of taxes, and then some. This is one of those instances where we are entitled to get some money back. It would be foolish not to take advantage of that. If you have a minute, drop your senators and congressmen an email to let them know that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Robert Moses story is actually made up and not true fyi. Parkways have low bridges everywhere

It's a bad example of a true premise. It's the poorest example of Moses being a very likely racist, if not just opportunistic to extremes.

Better examples:

Riverside Park:
Below 125th St: Trains are smelly. Bury them!
Above 125th St: Who cares? Trains are important!

Highways:
Cross Bronx (mostly non-white): Ram that sucker through!
Northern State, intersecting with the gold coast, and a few problematic estates: Nope! Turn Right!
1638392170006.png

Reaction Score
That article is also incorrect. They spoke with the guy who designed the bridges, Arnold Vollmer and he said the story is BS. In addition, you can still get to Jones Beach, the place the story is suppose to be about, by Bus and Train, as you always could. Pretty much everyone involved in spreading that information a few months back has retracted their story.
Caro who wrote it years ago was criticized for that accusation at that time. I believe they both measured the bridges and bus height and determined that while slightly lower.....a bus could not pass under them on any parkways....and it was not supposed to.

If I recall there was a very good article in the Washington Post last month after the Transportation Secretary quoted from Caro's book. The book was excellent. But Caro's source would not let him use that material until the source died......???

Reaction Score
If you want less traffic on the road, you need to improve public transportation so that people get out of their cars.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How else are we supposed to recruit NJ?

It would sure be helpful, but I would estimate the cost at $78 trillion billion dollars.

Reaction Score
If I recall Mrs Auerbach of G Fox wanted exits of both I84 & I91 to empty out next to Hartford retail giant. Thus the original placement of the junction of the two highways and exits. They have been altered since but she had a lot of clout.

Reaction Score
If you want less traffic on the road, you need to improve public transportation so that people get out of their cars.
The Fairfield Train Station was built in the 1890s. At the time it was built, it took LESS time to take a train from Fairfield to Grand Central then it takes. today. Other than Northeastern U.S. infrastructure, is there anything in the world that hasn't been improved over the last 125 years?

Reaction Score
Caro who wrote it years ago was criticized for that accusation at that time. I believe they both measured the bridges and bus height and determined that while slightly lower.....a bus could not pass under them on any parkways....and it was not supposed to.

If I recall there was a very good article in the Washington Post last month after the Transportation Secretary quoted from Caro's book. The book was excellent. But Caro's source would not let him use that material until the source died......???
Wapo fact checked this afterwards and historians generally agree that Caro's entire story was BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom