Praise for UConn from other members of the American. | The Boneyard

Praise for UConn from other members of the American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Take a look at this article from the Courant. It helps to put our current situation in prospective:

Kelvin Sampson: “Our bell cow school won the national championship,” Sampson said. “For every member institution in this conference, it's huge for us. And we sell that. What league are you in? Before I tell them what league, I tell them who's in it. We're in the league with Connecticut.”

Mick Cronin: “When you hear people talk about power this and power that … it's propaganda by others,” Cronin said. “They talk about power athletic departments and brand name programs. Look at what [UConn] has done. That's power.”

Mike Aresco: “The magnitude of the UConn's men's and women's basketball accomplishment last year and over the past two decades is nothing short of remarkable. One of the supreme accomplishments in not only college sports, but sports period.”

Dick Vitale: Connecticut has set a standard, when you look at both sports, it's just incredible what they've achieved in men's and women's basketball in this day and age. Just incredible.”

Okay Vitale's not in the AAC and he probably followed up that quote with a Duke story, but you get the point. Sure everyone else benefits from pumping up UConn, but the narrative that we stand out among G5 schools is out there. It's something to keep in mind when the football team craps the bed or we miss out on a recruit.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never liked Cronin--at all--but that quote from him gave me chills. Good stuff.

He's one of those guys I love to hate. He was absolutely correct with the beef he had with Valentine. Ted was out of line and never would have done what he did to Mick to a taller guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Doyle is from Mars on a lot of this stuff.

Our "model" is not to focus on basketball - we're basically strong across the board, but we happened to suck at football at exactly the wrong time. (Of course, when we were relatively good at football, our maroon neighbors s--- their drawers and starting singing the Pitt fight song, so maybe we can't win.)

We're great at hoop. We got f---ed by realignment.

It's not a model, it's a travesty.

And f--- those coaches. I don't care what they think about anything.

Someone post a picture of their cat before I lose it.

Reaction Score
cat2.jpg

Reaction Score
He's one of those guys I love to hate. He was absolutely correct with the beef he had with Valentine. Ted was out of line and never would have done what he did to Mick to a taller guy.

I definitely love to hate him but not maybe in the same way. I feel like we've had a decent level of success lately against Cinci, but I would characterize them as one of the tougher teams out there every year and every game, so wins against them always feel better. Most of the games we've played against them, when we make a run and put some distance between us and them I instantly start calling for the TV cast to cut to a shot of Mick after a questionable foul call. The anger that he shows makes me so freaking happy I cackle with laughter.

So thanks for the kind words Mr. Cronin, I hope I get to see you sneer for the cameras a handful of times this season

Reaction Score
Take a look at this article from the Courant. It helps to put our current situation in prospective:

Kelvin Sampson: “Our bell cow school won the national championship,” Sampson said. “For every member institution in this conference, it's huge for us. And we sell that. What league are you in? Before I tell them what league, I tell them who's in it. We're in the league with Connecticut.”

Mick Cronin: “When you hear people talk about power this and power that … it's propaganda by others,” Cronin said. “They talk about power athletic departments and brand name programs. Look at what [UConn] has done. That's power.”

Mike Aresco: “The magnitude of the UConn's men's and women's basketball accomplishment last year and over the past two decades is nothing short of remarkable. One of the supreme accomplishments in not only college sports, but sports period.”

Dick Vitale: Connecticut has set a standard, when you look at both sports, it's just incredible what they've achieved in men's and women's basketball in this day and age. Just incredible.”

Okay Vitale's not in the AAC and he probably followed up that quote with a Duke story, but you get the point. Sure everyone else benefits from pumping up UConn, but the narrative that we stand out among G5 schools is out there. It's something to keep in mind when the football team craps the bed or we miss out on a recruit.

The AAC coaches elevate themselves & their TEAM by attaching themselves to UConn. None of this would be said at their Neighbor's BBQ.

I think we just have to think that we are going to get out of this conference at some point. We can bitch ... but it's mostly just one poor bit of luck after another at this point. And BC being completely devious & stupid. IMO - there is not one piece of their AD wouldn't be elevated if they had a strong State U. in New England playing them yearly. Their territoriality was just crazy. Like the Eagles of Phila. not being better because the Redskins & Giants come regularly. It just seems so primitive & petty today.

It is what Vitale says too. Pretty unprecedented stuff. And, I NEVER discount the Brand's advancement because of Geno Auriemma (thought I rarely watch their games).

Reaction Score
Don't believe the hype! Calhoun in 99 said dook was the best team in the Universe. Its a trap I tell you!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If a dog lies on one of your pillows, you should shoot the dog and burn the bed.

That's like letting it put its ass on your face.

You sick bastards.
A dog's ass is cleaner than a human's ass. Fact.

Reaction Score
Shabazzkets said:
I've never liked Cronin--at all--but that quote from him gave me chills. Good stuff.

Cronin is one of my favorite non husky coaches ever. He's a scrappy Irishman with an us against the world mentality and has no fear of saying something that is not PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom