Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Simmons Cut by NY Liberty
Prahalis cut by Atlanta Never quite met the hype coming out of HS
Nicole Powell cut by Tulsa. Hired as Asst Coach @ Oregon
April Sykes & Alexis-Gray Lawson by Phoenix

WNBA Transactions: http://www.wnba.com/transactions/ At the time of this post today's transactions not listed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Prahalis and Simmons were both fiery, talented and athletic kids who required exemplary coaching at their respective U's, if not earlier.
in order to make them real useful on the college and especially professional level.

Unfortunately they didn't get it.

Reaction Score
would have gone to a program in which she had to be disciplined in her game, she probably would have more success in the WNBA. Simmons is a very talented player who was slow to learn how to play in a team setting. Maybe she'll get better with that in Europe.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not necessarily surprising, but I'm sure disappointing for the fans of those players (mainly Tennessee and OSU fans)...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let me steal a page from TonyC's book about the importance of coaching in player development.

My recollection (subject to affirmation or denial by others here) is that, coming out of high school, Hartley, Prahalis, and Hartley were of similar size and skills. All were heavily recruited and went to different programs. After four years, only Bria, the one with two NC rings, is still playing. There can be no doubt but that Geno's coaching made the difference. Geno reminds us constantly of what Bum Phillips said of Don Shula:

"He can beat your'n with his'n, and he can beat his'n with your'n."

I believe that Meighan and Samantha would still be playing had they been coached by Geno for four years.

Just ask Bria.

Ot Stef and at least a dozen others.

Natalie, Asia, Katie Lou, are you listening?

Reaction Score
Simmons getting cut by NY is a surprise to me. They need someone to back up Poindexter as a scoring guard. I like what I saw with Anna Cruz though so maybe she won Bill over but there's still cuts to be made.

Asia Taylor looks like she may do well with the Lynx. I was kinda worried when I saw she was going to such a strong team.

I'm crossing my fingers that Tiffany Bias and Maggie Lucas make the Phoenix Mercury.

I didn't think Prahalis had much of a chance since they had signed the French point guard and drafted Shoni.

Reaction Score
I am sad for those who didn't make the cut, particularly Simmons..... she has gotten a lot of flack...... a bunch by me also..... in her tenure at UT....... she always seemed like a good person..... I just never liked her team game..... I hope you land well Meighan

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sad about Nicole Powell, a longtime favorite. But she was always really a complimentary player, and of course a bit long in the tooth as they say. I read an article a while back (she was mentioned in it) about rapid decreases in production from guards as they age, I suppose partly from a loss of quickness but the article was focusing on the shooting ability.

Reaction Score
Sad about Nicole Powell, a longtime favorite. But she was always really a complimentary player, and of course a bit long in the tooth as they say. I read an article a while back (she was mentioned in it) about rapid decreases in production from guards as they age, I suppose partly from a loss of quickness but the article was focusing on the shooting ability.

I think part of it is that the younger players are developing into better and better players. It seems like more and more very young girls are getting into the game. I'm starting to see girls walking around in basketball shorts and t-shirts like the guys so they're probably spending time on the courts honing their game.

It's only a matter of time before we see a girl a little taller than Jewell Loyd who can dunk with any of the guys.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Her time may be coming soon. Her name is Gabby Williams.

bilde

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn players do the Fosbury Flop. ND players do the Referee Baiting Flop.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Prahalis cut by Atlanta Never quite met the hype coming out of HS

My recollection (subject to affirmation or denial by others here) is that, coming out of high school, Hartley, Prahalis, and Hartley were of similar size and skills. All were heavily recruited and went to different programs. After four years, only Bria, the one with two NC rings, is still playing. There can be no doubt but that Geno's coaching made the difference. Geno reminds us constantly of what Bum Phillips said of Don Shula:

ASGR:
Prahalis - #12 (Class of 2008)
Hartley - #3 (Class of 2010)
Simmons - #14 (Class of 2010)

ESPN/Hoopgurlz:
Prahalis - #30 (Class of 2008)
Hartley - #14 (Class of 2010)
Simmons - #24 (Class of 2010)

Blue Star:
Prahalis - #25 (Clas of 2008)
Hartley - #6 (Class of 2010)
Simmons - #11 (Clas of 2010)

Coming out of high school, Prahalis was a flashy passer with great court vision, but limited strength and an inconsistent shot; Hartley was an a great slasher who could also shoot the three with good handles and passing instincts. Simmons could drive to the hoop but also had good range on her shot, but definitely with a shooter's mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom