Practice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was wondering why Rodney was much more serious this season. His god brother was the Oklahoma State kid who died. That's why he's wearing #15 this season - to honor his brother. Sorry to hear about your loss Rodney. Do him proud Rodney.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he "could" play the three in the same way Brimah can play the four and Purvis can run the point. But I don't think it's best for the team, though if he's the next Durant I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
I could be wrong here but I think after he committed here the consensus was that he would be playing the 3, at least some of the time, in college. Maybe it's not best for the team once it happens, but that seemed to be the plan for him

Reaction Score
I'm sure he "could" play the three in the same way Brimah can play the four and Purvis can run the point. But I don't think it's best for the team, though if he's the next Durant I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
I see whatcha mean, but the way he explained it to me is that he's just a tall 3, but prefers being a stretch 4. I agree with you that it's probably best if he doesn't play be 3.

Reaction Score
I see whatcha mean, but the way he explained it to me is that he's just a tall 3, but prefers being a stretch 4. I agree with you that it's probably best if he doesn't play be 3.
Yeah exactly, I don't want him playing the 3 a lot. I was just trying to come up with some crazy lineup to throw out for 2 minutes one game and see what happens

Reaction Score
He's not playing the 3. He's more likely to spot up at the 5. I will bet you every like I have on this forum ;)Ollie is ALL ABOUT DEFENSE. He has no shot of guarding a college 3. Many kids talk about playing a position lower than they should because of the small ball prevalence.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but I think after he committed here the consensus was that he would be playing the 3, at least some of the time, in college. Maybe it's not best for the team once it happens, but that seemed to be the plan for him
I don't recall that being the consensus at all, I see him playing more minutes at the 5 over his career than minutes at the 3, and personally I would be shocked if he ever plays 1 minute at the 3.

Reaction Score
He's not playing the 3. He's more likely to spot up at the 5. I will bet you every like I have on this forum ;)Ollie is ALL ABOUT DEFENSE. He has no shot of guarding a college 3. Many kids talk about playing a position lower than they should because of the small ball prevalence.
He's also not a 5. Told me specifically when I asked if he was a 5

Reaction Score

OK, but can you think of a single player in the NBA, much less college, that is as tall as Durham and plays the three? Even Durant - a generational talent - plays most of his minutes at the four.

6'10 guys don't play the three in today's game, no matter how good they are at doing small forward things. It's a waste of resources.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't recall that being the consensus at all, I see him playing more minutes at the 5 over his career than minutes at the 3, and personally I would be shocked if he ever plays 1 minute at the 3.

Yeah, this is actually the first time I've heard it. How many 6'10 college threes are there really?

Reaction Score
He doesn't have 3 skills. His best attributes are his shot blocking and 15 foot jumper over the defense. Why would you put that one the perimeter guarding 6'5 guys.

We also run a guard dominant system. 6'4 in shoes Rodney purvis plays a good chunk of time at the 3.

I don't care what "he said." He's 18 years old. 18 year olds can say a lot of things, especially when bragging about themselves to random strangers.

Facey played some center when he was 6'9 and 200lbs soaking wet. I also would bank on him playing SOME--but not much--time at the 5. If brimah is in foul trouble and Enoch hasn't improved, we don't have much else.

Durham is a very skilled stretch 4. He will play at the 4. He is not and will not ever be a 3. In college a 3 is your other ball handler, someone who can 3-4 dribble drive and draw some fouls. NOT durhams strength.

You are making a foolish argument. Quit it.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have 3 skills. His best attributes are his shot blocking and 15 foot jumper over the defense. Why would you put that one the perimeter guarding 6'5 guys.

We also run a guard dominant system. 6'4 in shoes Rodney purvis plays a good chunk of time at the 3.

I don't care what "he said." He's 18 years old. 18 year olds can say a lot of things, especially when bragging about themselves to random strangers.

Facey played some center when he was 6'9 and 200lbs soaking wet. I also would bank on him playing SOME--but not much--time at the 5. If brimah is in foul trouble and Enoch hasn't improved, we don't have much else.

Durham is a very skilled stretch 4. He will play at the 4. He is not and will not ever be a 3. In college a 3 is your other ball handler, someone who can 3-4 dribble drive and draw some fouls. NOT durhams strength.

You are making a foolish argument. Quit it.
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what he said buddy

Reaction Score
I honestly don't care what position he plays, if Ollie puts him in anywhere then cool. I'm just posting what Juwan told me. Don't shoot the messenger.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying what he said buddy
I'm glad to hear the he sees himself having a broad range of skills. I expect he can do a lot of things on the court, but guard a smallish 3 on the perimeter is probably not one of them. But, hey, if he can move like that at 6'10", damn, he is going to be really good!

Reaction Score
Me: Hey Juwan are you a stretch 4 or a 5?
Juwan: stretch 4
Me: you think you could play the 3?
Juwan: yeah, I'd be oversized though
Me: so not a 5?
Juwan: nah

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear the he sees himself having a broad range of skills. I expect he can do a lot of things on the court, but guard a smallish 3 on the perimeter is probably not one of them. But, hey, if he can move like that at 6'10", damn, he is going to be really good!
Haha yeah I'll take it!!

Reaction Score
In before tenspro gives us his thoughts on playing an oversized 3.

I mean, do you disagree with my thoughts? Durham is the ideal stretch-4 that Ollie has been looking for since Daniels was successfully re-cast from a 3 to a 4.

In the NBA you can get away with having a 6'8-6'9 guy at the 3, because he has the requisite skills (shooting, handle) -- though even the NBA is going away from that and playing guys like Durant and LeBron at the 4.

In college, if you play a guy with that kind of size, but without skill, at the 3, you kill your offense. The defense keys on the two guys who can actually do something with the ball, and their driving lane is clogged. Fortunately KO went away from this after the offensive disaster that we had in 2012 with Roscoe-Oriakhi-Drummond at the 3-4-5.

I don't see what's so controversial about this.

Reaction Score
I mean, do you disagree with my thoughts? Durham is the ideal stretch-4 that Ollie has been looking for since Daniels was successfully re-cast from a 3 to a 4.

In the NBA you can get away with having a 6'8-6'9 guy at the 3, because he has the requisite skills (shooting, handle) -- though even the NBA is going away from that and playing guys like Durant and LeBron at the 4.

In college, if you play a guy with that kind of size, but without skill, at the 3, you kill your offense. The defense keys on the two guys who can actually do something with the ball, and their driving lane is clogged. Fortunately KO went away from this after the offensive disaster that we had in 2012 with Roscoe-Oriakhi-Drummond at the 3-4-5.

I don't see what's so controversial about this.

I'm busting your chops because I have seen that argument from you so many times, which I do fully agree with.

Reaction Score
The best possible case with Durham is if he can hang defensively at the 5.

Reaction Score
It's possible I'm thinking of someone else, I didn't really see him as a fit at the 3. I'm trying to think of who else it could have been, maybe I'm thinking of Wenyen Gabriel who is more of a 3 than Durham.

Again since it seems like everyone misunderstood my post, NOT saying he should be playing any minutes at the 3, but was coming up with an absurd lineup that would never actually play but I would like to see for a few minutes for my own personal enjoyment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom