Practice today was open to the media. Tons of good quotes. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Practice today was open to the media. Tons of good quotes.

Reaction Score
Obvious to anyone who watched this team in recent years before DH arrived. Yet another indictment of KO.

The evolution of Christian Vital's game from undisciplined chucker to heady leader is the best evidence we've seen of this on the court.

Hearing the players confirm it in their own words shows the message has really gotten through.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
“This is a team where everybody is together and everybody is on the same page,” Whaley said. “You don’t have people going against what the coach is saying and stuff. Coach Hurley, as soon as he came in, his main thing was working on the culture. We have a strong culture now where we hold each other accountable.

“... We didn’t have that back in the early years where if somebody took like four messed up shots in a row, nobody would hold them accountable. Nobody would say anything. Now we’ve got a team where we’re all close and call each other out.”

THIS!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I’m just trying to be quicker and more explosive,” Carlton said. “Be able to move and react quicker on defense. … I’m trying to find a weight that’s comfortable for me.”

#thinjosh

CL82

Reaction Score
Did you read the quote from Whaley in the article I posted from the New London Day above? That was an obvious shot at Ollie.
This one too, in a low key kind of way:

“I was always the young guy, the guy in the background, just trying to learn things myself,” Whaley said. “Now I know everything. Coach is on me to try to get everybody else together. It’s a big adjustment.”

Reaction Score

Saw he was listed as that on the official roster and asked the Boneyard about it. Got no response. THANKS FOR NOTHING GUYS.

But seriously, I like it. Javonte Brown-Ferguson takes too long to say and we haven't had much luck with hyphenated guys in the past (Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel, Makai Ashton-Langford...obviously never actually became a Husky. I may be missing others).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gonna miss this crew of seniors. They’ve been through hell and still stuck with the University. And now have to deal with the covid mess when things start to turn positively for the program. All good dudes who have put their heads down and improved their games immensely over the last few years. Never put up a fuss, just worked.

Tyler Polley, Josh Carlton and Isaiah Whaley deserve everything and more in their last season here.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
But seriously, I like it. Javonte Brown-Ferguson takes too long to say and we haven't had much luck with hyphenated guys in the past (Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel, Makai Ashton-Langford...obviously never actually became a Husky. I may be missing others).

Don't forget about Uri Cohen-Mintz! :D

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
“This is a team where everybody is together and everybody is on the same page,” Whaley said. “You don’t have people going against what the coach is saying and stuff. Coach Hurley, as soon as he came in, his main thing was working on the culture. We have a strong culture now where we hold each other accountable.

“... We didn’t have that back in the early years where if somebody took like four messed up shots in a row, nobody would hold them accountable. Nobody would say anything. Now we’ve got a team where we’re all close and call each other out.”

Dayum that is not cool. KO was obviously not focused. He had something going on in his life that was affecting his job and we will never know exactly what happened. Who knows, maybe someday there will be a documentary about KO when he is like 70 years old and he will break the silence ‍♂️

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

How long of a delay would they need on a broadcast of JC coaching with no fans? Every curse would be very audible. The bleeping person might get carpal tunnel.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Also clearly there was a leadership issue with the other guys ... he said "guys going against the coach" and no one calling them out. All issues for the coach, ultimately, but seems telling. Big leadership/culture void in multiple important places.

Reaction Score
This one too, in a low key kind of way:

“I was always the young guy, the guy in the background, just trying to learn things myself,” Whaley said. “Now I know everything. Coach is on me to try to get everybody else together. It’s a big adjustment.”
I’m not sure fans understand what an extremely intelligent player Whaley is. He is also a high character person which is great as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not sure fans understand what an extremely intelligent player Whaley is. He is also a high character person which is great as well.
He seems like a great kid who kept his head up and kept working even when struggling to get minutes. What's not to like?

CL82

Reaction Score
Josh Carlton drops a lot things, tho.
Well before he lost the palm weight, sure. That's a thing of the past now though.

#thinjosh

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't have agreed with this statement after Hurley's first year. Kid had no concept of team defense and frequently broke offensive plays. But those things are hard to actually master, and those mistakes are typical of freshmen. I'll always respect this kid: he stuck with it, worked hard, and last year showed incredible growth. While I am skeptical, I hope these three kids all get a chance to ride off into the sunset.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
According to coach Mike Javonte has a measured standing reach of 9’4! That’s wild.

Reaction Score
I think Carlton’s quote illustrates another bonus of our new frontcourt depth. Players will be challenged in practice more, which should presumably help them improve as individuals and better prepare them for tough competition.

“Having a deep frontcourt makes everybody better,” Carlton said. “Increases the competition in practice, pushes the older players, helps freshmen to learn things from the older players.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom