Power not Finesse. | The Boneyard

Power not Finesse.

Reaction Score
One glaring take away from Final Four is that around the rim you need to power it, not finesse it. I hope Sanogo was watching and learning that lesson.
That's why I hope Donovan works on dunking everything.

Reaction Score
Just for fun, number of dunks made/attempted this year from the Final Four teams and Sanogo

Adama Sanogo 29/32
David McCormack 32/37
Armando Bacot 67/74
Mark Williams 96/101
Eric Dixon 10/13

Reaction Score
Sanogo went one on one with the National Defensive Player of the year and dropped 30. He struggled finishing the last few games but I dont see this as an ongoing issue. The real issue is learning to pass out of a double or triple team and not launching deep jump hooks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sanogo just needs to make move faster or kick it out.
Knowing the difference between being in the lane and 5 feet outside the lane before making any move would also help.
Dunking is a distant third on the list, the guy has legit post moves. Maybe too good as he thinks every possession is good one.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think our shooters need to also anticipate (see) the double team and put themselves in a better position for Adama to pass

Reaction Score
Lots of straight up and dunking from the Duke center. He was impressive.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sanogo went one on one with the National Defensive Player of the year and dropped 30. He struggled finishing the last few games but I dont see this as an ongoing issue. The real issue is learning to pass out of a double or triple team and not launching deep jump hooks.

How many he shots he take that game to get 30?

Ill answer that for you he took 25 shots. He made 12 of them. that's 48%.

If you are using that as an example of his upside, I feel like we are going to be in for a long year next year.

30 points looks great on paper. He took almost 30 shots (if you add his misses that ended in trips to FT line) to get there.

If you combine that inefficiency with his shot selection, and real hard time making passes out of post, it is not a winning formula.

Can he be a centerpiece? I think so. He's got the talent, the footwork, and most importantly the motor. He has to be MUCH better for us next year than he was this year for us to do anything.

Does anyone ever want an under 50% close range two point shooter taking 25 shots a game?

You cant win that way. Auburn game notwithstanding.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You need both. McCormack, Bacot have both power and finesse. And then you need the smart, quick judgment of when to use which one depending on the situation.

Reaction Score

If you are using that as an example of his upside, I feel like we are going to be in for a long year next year.

30 points looks great on paper. He took almost 30 shots (if you add his misses that ended in trips to FT line) to get there.

If you combine that inefficiency with his shot selection, and real hard time making passes out of post, it is not a winning formula.

Can he be a centerpiece? I think so. He's got the talent, the footwork, and most importantly the motor. He has to be MUCH better for us next year than he was this year for us to do anything.

Does anyone ever want an under 50% close range two point shooter taking 25 shots a game?

Let me ask you one question. Do we beat Auburn without Sanogo? Let me answer that for you NO. He didn't miss easy bunnies as he did towards end of year. Watch the game again as I did. You will see him against Kessler one on one a bunch of times and he destroyed him. He took ill advised deep jump hooks and forced shots against double teams which accounted for the 25 shots.

Averaged 15 points and 9 boards a game. Shot 50 percent from the floor. Yes that needs to be 58 to 60 for a center but once he learns to not force it against 2/3 guys and lose the deep jump hook that will go up. Not concerned at all.

"If you combine that inefficiency with his shot selection" - That's one and the same and doesn't make any sense. With better shot selection comes better FG percentage and better efficiency.

"He took almost 30 shots (if you add his misses that ended in trips to FT line) to get there." You want to count times he fouled and missed against him??

Reaction Score

I guarantee the coaching staff has gone over this with him as a point of emphasis for improvements next year. Most important things that will naturally increase his shooting %, if he & his teammates work on this -

1 - Quicker reaction to double/triple teams and making a better decision on passing out vs. forcing a bad shot
2 - Getting better position closer to hoop to receive the ball (and having passers not force a pass to him in bad position
3 - Using the glass more and better shot angles

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

If you think that was only a good game for Sanogo on paper you’re not remembering what it looked like. As someone else already said , he dominated the defensive player of the year… tail between his legs, get him off the court because he is completely lost, dominated. Sanogo changed the entire way Auburn played defense against us because at one point they weren’t sure if they’d be able to stop him from getting 50.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Let me ask you one question. Do we beat Auburn without Sanogo? Let me answer that for you NO. He didn't miss easy bunnies as he did towards end of year. Watch the game again as I did. You will see him against Kessler one on one a bunch of times and he destroyed him. He took ill advised deep jump hooks and forced shots against double teams which accounted for the 25 shots.

Averaged 15 points and 9 boards a game. Shot 50 percent from the floor. Yes that needs to be 58 to 60 for a center but once he learns to not force it against 2/3 guys and lose the deep jump hook that will go up. Not concerned at all.

"If you combine that inefficiency with his shot selection" - That's one and the same and doesn't make any sense. With better shot selection comes better FG percentage and better efficiency.

"He took almost 30 shots (if you add his misses that ended in trips to FT line) to get there." You want to count times he fouled and missed against him??

No it does make sense. He is inefficient on GOOD shots (see nova and Hall games in BET and all season long bunnys missed that should've been dunked) the ill advised 12-15 foot hooks compound that.

And yeah I just watched the Auburn game again Sunday. We almost pissed it away except for Polley and Hawkins being unconscious from 3, which were way more timely (especially Polley late) than 30 shots 30 points.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If you think that was only a good game for Sanogo on paper you’re not remembering what it looked like. As someone else already said , he dominated the defensive player of the year… tail between his legs, get him off the court because he is completely lost, dominated. Sanogo changed the entire way Auburn played defense against us because at one point they weren’t sure if they’d be able to stop him from getting 50.

12-25 is NOT domination for a center. LOL.

He had two games this year much better than that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sanogo 2 games agains Creighton combined 9 for 26.

Guess he has a hard time dominating Kalkbrenner and forcing McDermott to change the way they play.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
12-25 is NOT domination for a center. LOL.

He had two games this year much better than that.
Oh yes it is if you are dropping 30 and entirely changing the way the other team plays defense. It’s not some random coincidence that Polley and Hawkins had monster games from the perimeter. How many times do you need to see the difference in perimeter player stats when Sanogo is out to understand that every opposing coach’s defensive scheme was massively focused on how to deal with Sanogo??

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Oh yes it is if you are dropping 30 and entirely changing the way the other team plays defense. It’s not some random coincidence that Polley and Hawkins had monster games from the perimeter. How many times do you need to see the difference in perimeter player stats when Sanogo is out to understand that every opposing coach’s defensive scheme was massively focused on how to deal with Sanogo??

The best lineup offensive efficiency of the season did not include Sanogo on the floor. Ill grant you that.

If you are saying our offense was better because he was focused on, you are flat out mistaken.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Guess he has a hard time dominating Kalkbrenner and forcing McDermott to change the way they play.
Got it. Creighton did a good job slowing him down so he was not dominant against Auburn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Got it. Creighton did a good job slowing him down so he was not dominant against Auburn.
I dont consider 12-25 at Center position dominant. Auburn made a high use center shoot 48%. Job well done. Thats why it went to OT. You want to fight me on that? I dont care. Glad we won the game. He was a part of it. Next year hopefully its 17/25.

Reaction Score

Foul trouble and Whaleys man doubling him. Plus he missed bunnies which cost us the game I said it at the time. So you want him to dominate a double team so McDermott can change defenses?

We don't win Auburn without him. He opens up the outside unless you're Whaley.

Not worried about Sanogo. You seem to have something against him not the first or 2nd time I see you rail against Sanogo. When you see his name and praise you have to respond to try and tear him down. We have so many more things to complain about for next year.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The Sanogo blasting is insanity. People are literally complaining that he’s killing us because he’s not passing well out of a triple team. He obviously needs to work on his passing but let’s take a step back and realize teams are scheming in a way that sends three defenders at sanogo at times. Literally a pass fake to him at any point will move three defenders a step out of position. If he entered his name in the portal how quickly do you think musselman and nearly every other coach in America would be on the phone with their boosters to bend over backwards to get him on board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom