Potential Blockbuster trade....Sox-Dodgers?? | The Boneyard

Potential Blockbuster trade....Sox-Dodgers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per MLB Trade Rumors...

4:52pm: Boston would send some cash to Los Angeles if the sides complete a deal Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports. Morosi confirms that the sides are close to a trade (Twitter links).
4:34pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are closing in on a trade that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports (on Twitter). Hurdles remain, but the sides continue working toward a deal.

Reaction Score
That is a lot of salary for the Dodgers to absorb even if the Sox send some cash.

Reaction Score
Per MLB Trade Rumors...

4:52pm: Boston would send some cash to Los Angeles if the sides complete a deal Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports. Morosi confirms that the sides are close to a trade (Twitter links).
4:34pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are closing in on a trade that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports (on Twitter). Hurdles remain, but the sides continue working toward a deal.
"Loney and Gonzalez were scratched from Friday's games" Sure sounds like these two are packing their bags.

Reaction Score
Crawford and Beckett have to waive their no trade clauses, which many have reported is not going to be an issue, and MLB has to sign off on the deal.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Boston Flee Party!

Reaction Score
According to Yahoo the deal is for Allen Webster, Rubby de la Rosa, James Loney, Ivan DeJesus, and Jimmy Sands. Doesn't look to me like a great deal for the Sox, but admittedly, they are trying to do addition by subtraction at this point.

Reaction Score
According to Yahoo the deal is for Allen Webster, Rubby de la Rosa, James Loney, Ivan DeJesus, and Jimmy Sands. Doesn't look to me like a great deal for the Sox, but admittedly, they are trying to do addition by subtraction at this point.
It is full blown case of dumping bad contracts and re-starting and getting some prospects back to do that. Loney is a filler. Webster is a top shelf prospect...the others not bad guys but not high end. But overall a good deal if they can re-spend smartly. Felix Hernandez (after 2014)? Josh Hamilton (of course his 'issues' may not work in Boston)...?

Reaction Score
SATURDAY, 7:52am: The deal is "pretty much done," reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that both Beckett and Crawford have agreed to waive their no-trade clauses while Rosenthal adds that both clubs have signed off on the medicals.

Reaction Score
You have to be brain dead to think this isn't a good deal for Boston.

Magic appears to be as bad an owner as he is an analyst. And for that, I thank him!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
De La Rosa is supposed to be awesome. I have never seen him and he did just come back from an injury I think.

Meanwhile, I just saw that Michael Pineda was arrested for DUI last Monday. Oy!!

Reaction Score
Some speculation in the Boston press that Lester and Ellsbury may be next.

Reaction Score
According to Sean McAdam thinks Ellsbury will be moved in the winter.

Reaction Score
If Jacoby gets TRADED.. I think I'll become a Yankee fan!! (been a sox fan since 1967)
The problem with Jacoby is not that the Sox don't want him. With Boros as his agent there will be a bidding war after next year. If a bidding war ensues it is likely that he will go somewhere else and the Sox will end up with at best a draft choice. If they can package him up with someone and get back a Felix Hernandez or similar I would be very happy and you would still be a fan.

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like a great deal for the Sox? Are you nuts or in denial?
The Dodgers are taking 260 of the 270 mil off the books AND they're giving up two pretty good pitching prospects? If they just took the contracts that would be a huge plus. The fact that Ben got them to throw in De La Rosa and Webster (who the Dodgers refused to send to Chicago for Dempster) is pretty damn impressive.

De La Rosa coming off TJ surgery, but just came back to the majors this week. Had decent numbers last year with LA dodgers as a SP at the age of 22. He's back now throwing 96/97 already.
Webster is being compared to a Derek Lowe type, 1 HR allowed this year in AA in 122 IP. Has control issues but strikes out 8.9/9 INN. Another kid, 22 years old.
He'll be in the top 5 prospect list probably going into the offseason. DeLaRosa would be as well, but he may be considered a major leaguer now, not sure.
Regardless, huge, franchise changing move. Best day for Sox since 2007 quite frankly.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Magic appears to be as bad an owner as he is an analyst. And for that, I thank him!
Have to agree. Bad deal by the Dodgers. Beckett and Crawford are not worth what they are being paid and Gonzales has peaked.

Reaction Score

Only if you begin from the assumption that Red Sox management / ownership is incapable of dealing with anything but self-motivated saints on their roster. I think Mattingly and his staff are falling all over themselves with laughter at the idea of picking up Gonzalez and Beckett for this year and adding Crawford next year. The Dodgers improved quite a bit with this deal.

They aren't paying these guys out of your pocket, so stop crowing about bad contracts. The same people that GAVE THEM those bad contracts are still running things in Boston, so there is no reason to think they would suddenly learn how to spend money wisely now.

Reaction Score
Only if you begin from the assumption that Red Sox management / ownership is incapable of dealing with anything but self-motivated saints on their roster. I think Mattingly and his staff are falling all over themselves with laughter at the idea of picking up Gonzalez and Beckett for this year and adding Crawford next year. The Dodgers improved quite a bit with this deal.

They aren't paying these guys out of your pocket, so stop crowing about bad contracts. The same people that GAVE THEM those bad contracts are still running things in Boston, so there is no reason to think they would suddenly learn how to spend money wisely now.
The Sox did what they had to do but any team that gets Adrian Gonzalez is automatically better. Those bad contracts were given to outstanding players (Crawford and Gonzalez). In Crawford's case it didn't work out but how many would say picking up Carl Crawford was a bad deal at the time it was made?
This Sox team had a lot of talent on paper and even with unprecedented injuries it was Beckett and Lester who were primarily responsible for this bad season. They got bombed early and often putting too many innings on the bullpen. The replacement players played well and the bullpen was outstanding for most of the year but right now the bullpen looks shot.

Reaction Score
Both teams did fine. Sox got rid of big dollars and a problem and rec'd in return some real nice prospects with one seemingly a stud to be. Loney's a nice player but they will again need to replace some real big numbers offensively. Dodgers pick up a hitter who is hot and pitcher who's good enough to win in the NL now.......maybe a change of scenery will help the idiot.........

Reaction Score
Both teams did fine. Sox got rid of big dollars and a problem and rec'd in return some real nice prospects with one seemingly a stud to be. Loney's a nice player but they will again need to replace some real big numbers offensively. Dodgers pick up a hitter who is hot and pitcher who's good enough to win in the NL now.......maybe a change of scenery will help the idiot.........

It hurt to lose AGon but that was cost to get rid of other awful contracts---especially Crawford. And to get some prospects back is a plus--Loney is a filler and no answer. They dropped huge bucks but on paper, LA just got alot better--I'll bet Beckett is good in NL and with those big ballparks in that division. At this moment, the Sox got worse but big picture-wise, if they make right moves and spend money right in future, they can get better. It is TBD. I hope they can turn the pieces they got into a trade for Felix Hernandez---now THAT would be great.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I hope they can turn the pieces they got into a trade for Felix Hernandez

tumblr_m4n1a232qi1r44q7k.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics