Postgame quotes | The Boneyard

Postgame quotes

Reaction Score
UConn men fall at Wichita State on last-second shot
Hurley on Gilbert:
“That’s what the leader of your program should look like at the end of the game, playing himself through exhaustion. That obviously gives us tremendous hope, because he’s the leader of this program, the face of what we’re trying to build here moving forward. He’s got that ‘it’ factor. We’ve just got to keep him healthy.”

Hurley on BAdams: “That was good to see, because it’s there with him. We talked about the qualities Alterique has, Brendan has. The quality that helps you build a championship program, which we will. That’s the type of shooter he is. He’s had to develop under difficult circumstances as a freshman here at UConn.”

Hurley: “To develop a program as good as Wichita State’s has been, and Cincinnati and Villanova and Michigan State, (we’ve got to) recruit, develop, nurture 13 guys that have that type of heart. I think we’ve got some guys in the program (like that). If we can get everyone in the program to follow his lead, in terms of how he goes about his business in the program, we’ll be in great shape in short order. These games, very quickly, next year will have a much different feel if we can get 12 guys like him.”

Hurley: “We’re trying to break through to get a win, man — road win, home win. We’ll take a win wherever we can get one right now. We’re in a stretch where we’ve lost a bunch in a row. I don’t think there’s any psychology. I think we played a better, complete 40-minute game than we did against Cincinnati over the weekend. The home/road thing ... this was a raucous crowd. Some of the other road games where we haven’t played well, there were sparse crowds at the game. I just think it’s growing pains. There were a lot of young guys on the court in roles they’ve never been in. These are just the steps you take along the way.”

Reaction Score
“They just literally dribbled down to the right corner, to a spot, raised up on Christian and just buried a shot on him,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “We wanted to switch screens, any types of actions that didn’t involve the five. The five, we wanted to drag out the ball screen a little bit. But they just dribbled down the court and hit a step-back shot on Christian.”

I think Hurley is a little down on Christian? Starting to think CV might not be back................probably wrong but maybe CV is looking to make some money and he's talked to Hurley. Who knows but CV hasn't really filled the JA void the last few games like I thought he might.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really like that DH is so candid and not afraid to challenge all of his players - no matter their seniority, ranking, etc. Being willing to bench or not start your best players when they’re not playing to their max abilities ultimately creates a competitive winning culture. And at the same time, players can tell he’s real and sincerely cares about them. And he knows how to recruit and build a program; and it feels like just a matter of time before we’re back to being a top 25 power.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who knows but CV hasn't really filled the JA void the last few games like I thought he might.
I have no idea what's going on with CV and Hurley, but it was an unrealistic expectation if you thought CV was going to fill the void left by Jalen's injury. This is basically the Peter Principle in action.

Reaction Score
That's about as pointedly as you see a college coach criticizing his own players' toughness and heart (while praising Gilbert, deservedly).

You can tell how badly he wants to get his own players in here. He knows he did the right thing, morally/karmically, by bringing everyone back, but he's gotta be wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover.

Reaction Score
Still not cool.
I will add not discussing a UConn player leaving early to turn pro in some form to the off-limits topic list.

Once the G-league becomes more lucrative this will become a legitimate option besides Europe & once we start getting higher quality players again some of them may consider leaving early for the NBA you do realize?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just watched replay over and over of last shot. Vital was not prepared for how fast this dude was. This dude knew he wasn't getting to the rim so he sprinted to a spot in the corner for a good shot. We did nothing to slow him down.

The D wasn't terrible by Vital as he at least didnt let him get near the paint and it was sort of a fadeaway shot that he misses 9 out of 10 times but Vital should have been closer to him got caught flat footed.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I really thought vital forced him into a difficult look. Guess many don’t agree.

Well it was a difficult shot to make , but I just had a feeling the game wasn't going into OT before he took it. Even if it did go into OT, I doubt AG would be able to play much as he was barely walking.

Reaction Score
Watch the replay. Vital isn't within 3 feet of the guy when he goes up for the shot, doesn't contest or harass it at all.

Was it an easy shot? No. Did Vital defend it well? Also no.

Agree...vital or someone else in support, needed to cut him off/make him change direction. The offensive player was able to dictate his own shot.

Reaction Score
Agree...vital or someone else in support, needed to cut him off/make him change direction. The offensive player was able to dictate his own shot.
Vital will be an important complementary piece next year if this team has any shot at postseason play, but I’m happy to see Hurley turning the page on the current upperclassmen.

I presume that’s why he’s building up Gilbert so much - he wants all the young players and incoming freshmen to take notice and follow his example.

Reaction Score
I’ve never really been a fan of vital until this year. But I began to like him more this year. I kno he hustles and gives 110% all the time but that doesn’t give him the right to jack up crazy shots and force things on his drives. I wondered to myself last night why he wasn’t starting. Maybe he told Hurley he wasn’t coming back next year after he got benched from starting the previous game. He seems the sensitive type of kid who wouldn’t take kindly to a coach’s criticism or punishments. Maybe Hurley figures he’d start Brendan over him because he’s looking towards next year and Christian told him something we don’t kno. Either way, I think it’s a very telling sign that he didn’t start two games in a row now- especially with no Adams.

Reaction Score
Watch the replay. Vital isn't within 3 feet of the guy when he goes up for the shot, doesn't contest or harass it at all.

The guy got north/south on Vital because of his speed, so Vital changed angle to cut him off. The guy instead did a slight stepback into jump off right foot leaning out of bounds left hand runner from the baseline.

Vital didn't contest because the guy made space and surprised Vital by taking a much worse shot than he could have gotten. Vital was playing a pull up from 3 and when he blew by him, he was not able to contest. But he took away the more straightforward and easier shots. The guy made a 25%-er. He literally landed out of bounds.

Reaction Score

Agree with tthis 100%.

If folks watch the replay they can see the point where he goes by him not towards the hoop but to the basline and Vital chases to catch up and is never got close to him. Should have been up on him. The dude dribbled full speed from one baseline to the next and threw up a lucky shot but he got there unimpended is my point.

Reaction Score

Don't let @Stainmaster read this! How dare you question Vital's defense.

Reaction Score
I said it in the off-season that it wouldn’t matter or be very impactful big picture for this program if neither Jalen Adams or Christian Vital returned and people crucified me, looks like they might of been right, only on the opposite end. Although I still don’t believe it makes much of a difference in the big scheme of things, but you could make a case that Jalen Adams & Christian Vital have negatively impacted this season and the development of our youngsters, & haven’t help change the previous culture.

Again, like I made my point in the off-season, typically when a new leader comes into an environment a large percent of the people in the old environment are not going to mesh & workout in the new environment, add on a previous toxic environment you can bump up that percentage. I have a good amount of experience in going into different environments & having the burden to change the culture & identify the future leaders of that environment.

Enjoy the process & journey, I believe in Hurley, although many won’t think about these times if Hurley ever does raise banners in the future for this program, this time is crucial to lay down a structural & strong foundation.

Let’s go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
The guy got north/south on Vital because of his speed, so Vital changed angle to cut him off. The guy instead did a slight stepback into jump off right foot leaning out of bounds left hand runner from the baseline.

Vital didn't contest because the guy made space and surprised Vital by taking a much worse shot than he could have gotten. Vital was playing him for pulling up from 3 and when he blew by him, he was not able to contest. But he took away the more straightforward and easier shots. The guy made a 25%-er. He literally landed out of bounds.

Freeze it at 2.2 seconds left and you can see he has Vital beat and it was that same time he decided he was going to step back probably because of time left or seeing Carlton and Smith coming on. He could have kept going and threw a runner off the glass too. Tough shot either way. Tough loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom