Post play | The Boneyard

Post play

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have a couple of questions regarding post play. I'm not looking to pick a fight just curious why Dolson/Stokes play the way they do - particularly Dolson. It seems as if UConn bigs are spending 90% of their time at the top of the key, setting screens and looking for cutters. They spend very little time deep in the paint. I can't remember any (Lobo - Charles) post players in the past playing that way. At least not to that extent.

When a 6'5" player sets a screen at the high post shouldn't they do something else after the screen is set? Like maybe head toward the basket?

On defense shouldn't a post be playing closer to the basket looking for a rebound? Last noight it seemed as if the guards were playing in the paint and Dolson was standing around near the 3 pt line.

Is this a coaching decision or something the player chooses?

Reaction Score
I have a couple of questions regarding post play. I'm not looking to pick a fight just curious why Dolson/Stokes play the way they do - particularly Dolson. It seems as if UConn bigs are spending 90% of their time at the top of the key, setting screens and looking for cutters. They spend very little time deep in the paint. I can't remember any (Lobo - Charles) post players in the past playing that way. At least not to that extent.

When a 6'5" player sets a screen at the high post shouldn't they do something else after the screen is set? Like maybe head toward the basket?

On defense shouldn't a post be playing closer to the basket looking for a rebound? Last noight it seemed as if the guards were playing in the paint and Dolson was standing around near the 3 pt line.

Is this a coaching decision or something the player chooses?
I've noticed it too. And it puzzles me (and makes me scream at the TV as well, as in yest.'s game :rolleyes:
Things look backwards and awkward when your 6'4" center is at the top of the key instead of being underneath the basket.
I know we have great rebounding guards but I prefer seeing Dolson and Stokes/Buck underneath the basket, controlling the paint, blocking shots, rebounding, getting fouled when scoring or trying too, going up for put backs.

Reaction Score
The reason is that UConn is a limited team with it's current personnel (which will change dramatically when B. Stew and Tuck are in the fold) as it's not balanced between the guards and post players ability to produce points...UConn's advantage in almost any game are the quicker guards who can cut and get a pass from a very good passer like Dolson. The higher Dolson is, the more space there is for players to cut and get a lay-up. Unfortunately at this point it does not look like Dolson is strong enough to play exclusively in the low post and Kiah doesn't have a go to move on offense so her points come more from putbacks. So in other words, IMO Geno plays this way, as this is the most efficient way to utilize the personnel and their abilities.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We run alot of plays with our post players. Some plays are from up high other down low. Its worked pretty good so far. Againest Baylor well youve got Griner and ND Stef was getting mugged even up top and we still lead in both games and shouldve won. Yes I too would like to see them down low scoreing but every time the ball goes down low Stef is mugged. She cant get a shot off. So the question becomes how do you get the defenders away from underneath. One thing I would like to see is Stef and either Kiah or Heather in the game at the same time with Stef shooting from the line or passing it down low for a layup. Clear it out and let the post players score.

Reaction Score
The reason is that UConn is a limited team with it's current personnel (which will change dramatically when B. Stew and Tuck are in the fold) as it's not balanced between the guards and post players ability to produce points...UConn's advantage in almost any game are the quicker guards who can cut and get a pass from a very good passer like Dolson. The higher Dolson is, the more space there is for players to cut and get a lay-up. Unfortunately at this point it does not look like Dolson is strong enough to play exclusively in the low post and Kiah doesn't have a go to move on offense so her points come more from putbacks. So in other words, IMO Geno plays this way, as this is the most efficient way to utilize the personnel and their abilities.
God forbid anyone disagrees with GA. He's won a bunch of championships. But I believe he is in love with with this 4 guard lineup and wants to prove it can win.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think we may finally be reaching the point where Geno decides that Kiah has developed enough intensity in her play that it makes sense to go to "two bigs" as the basic offense. He always recognized the limitations of the 4-guard concept, but didn't think that either Kiah or Heather would contribute as much at both ends of the court as the 4th guard. (The four guards, not to mention KML, are all pretty good, in case you haven't noticed.)

Nonetheless, if the last two games are an indication of Kiah's current ability to perform, then we may see her replace Caroline (sad to say) in the starting lineup, or at least in minutes. We may not get much "first-shot" low post offense even with that line-up, but we should control the boards at both ends and get many putbacks.

This would also allow each of the guards to reduce their minutes, since the five of them (4 current starters + KML) are largely interchangeable and could spell each other and save more for the end of close games.

I was particularly impressed with Kiah's rebounding in the ND game. That (indeed her play in general) was the biggest "silver lining" in the loss. I assume that Heather did not play either because Kiah was playing well or because her injury still hasn't really healed, but when it does, Geno should be able to keep two bigs on the floor for as long as necessary despite potential foul trouble. Kiah's development (if it lasts) will mean that this team really is deeper than last year's, and has therefore overcome the fatal weakness of last year's team.

Reaction Score

Agree, the reason Geno runs a four guard offense is because our guards are the only ones who can score, not because he prefers it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think we may finally be reaching the point where Geno decides that Kiah has developed enough intensity in her play that it makes sense to go to "two bigs" as the basic offense. He always recognized the limitations of the 4-guard concept, but didn't think that either Kiah or Heather would contribute as much at both ends of the court as the 4th guard. (The four guards, not to mention KML, are all pretty good, in case you haven't noticed.)
I agree.

Nonetheless, if the last two games are an indication of Kiah's current ability to perform, then we may see her replace Caroline (sad to say) in the starting lineup, or at least in minutes.
I disagree. I think he will continue with the current line-up (unless injury precludes it). But we may see more Dolson/Stokes together time. If he is not moving KLM into the starting line up for Doty, he's not moving Stokes in there for her.

Reaction Score
I am really interested to see how it all shakes out. I still believe the championship is up for grabs. Tournament time is a long way off. Look at the men, Jim is making a lot of lineup changes looking for the right combination. There is a lot of talent. 16 games before BE touney. Lot's of time

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to me this seems to be a really good analysis and probably as good a reason as any as to why Geno has been running the offense this way. having said that, against a smaller ND team the last 8 minutes of the first half, why NOT post up Stef every time down the court?

i watched UNC's Shay Chegog play like a black hole in the post - not only did she post up every time down the court, but when she got the ball, it NEVER came back out. even if she was double teamed, she'd attempt a shot backwards or over her head hoping to draw the foul.

i'm not suggesting Stef do that, but i'm puzzled why they don't put her in the post more for posting up. is it really cuz she's not strong enough? i'm hoping one of our resident analysts can really explain it - cuz i agree with the OP...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It seems as if UConn bigs are spending 90% of their time at the top of the key, setting screens and looking for cutters. They spend very little time deep in the paint.

I just watched the first half of the WV game and charted the possessions vs paint for Dolson. UConn, in the half court offense had the ball 17 times. Dolson was in the paint 12 times. This includes many times where she starts at the key setting screens but rolls to the basket.

People hear the announcers talk about it and all of a sudden, it's 90%, or they never play in the post. It's just not true.

Reaction Score
Dolson did position herself a lot in the paint - appeared very deliberate in the WV game. Also deliberate, me thinks, is Dolson and Kiah, playing off the high high post. I think Geno is working on something for much later when Uconn will need it against ND and perhaps Baylor. Geno could have also wanted to see how available the lanes were for driving guards.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Right now our opponents know about Stef's abilities in the low post. So defensively they are sagging their guards to cut off the passing lanes. Number two, Stef is getting hammered down low and not getting the calls she should. Not complaining, it's the way it is.

To open up the lanes, you bring your post up to the top of the key. This allows your guards/ forwards to cut through the lane. And don't forget, Stef can hit the foul line jumper.

Third, Maya is not here and this allows other teams to double Stef down low. Now if Kia can develop her offensive portion of her game, there is the strong possibility of a twin towers set up.

As to Geno being we'd to this four guard set up, he is putting his best lineup on the floor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In one of Rich's blogs, there's a very long quote by Geno that completely addresses this and echoes what several fans already said.

“I would say 12 shots a game for Stefanie, at least,’’ Auriemma said. “And some games it might be a lot more depending on how the game’s played. But here’s a little bit of the dilemma you have with getting Stefanie shots … She’s never going to be played 1-on-1 like she was last year a lot. So what happens is you forget that it was so easy to get her the ball because every time Maya (Moore) ran off a screen or went some place two guys went with her. And that means only one guy’s left to guard Stefanie and our perimeter players. Now they don’t double team anybody but her. So wherever Kelly (Faris) is on the floor they trap Stefanie and that leaves Kelly open all the time.

That’s why she was so open in the beginning of the (Notre Dame) game. They’re just going to trap her and she’s going to be wide-open the whole game. So you end up with a lot of 3 attempts by Kelly and not enough shot attempts by Stefanie. That’s why we’re moving her high post, low post, mid post trying to find a way to get her moving so they can’t find her as easily. But by doing that, our guards aren’t finding her when she’s open. So there’s a little bit of a disconnect right now. When she’s open, we’re not finding her. When we’re looking for her, she’s not open. So we made a few things happen (Monday). She’ll touch the ball a lot more (tonight). No question about that.’’

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me make a couple of points. Caroline needs minutes to get back on track . Shes been out of the lineup for a long time. Shes earned it. However Geno must be careful bringing her back as not to reinjure her acl. Stokes wasnt ready early on. Was not in shape from what I read. Well now shes getting more pt. You cant play both Caroline and Kiah at the same time until theyre both up to speed, unless we have a big lead.

Stef is double teamed alot and many times leaving Kelly open. Well Kelly hit her first 2 shots and she was guarded. Im sure when Kiah is up so speed or we have a big lead in the game Geno will play Kiah and Stef.

Im reading alot of second guessing since we lost to ND. We had the lead at the ND and Baylor games and didnt put them away. Alot of things couldve been done at different times in the game put when you come down to it we lost both games late. Why? Thats what Geno has to figure out. As the season progresses and we gain more experience and Caroline gets back then we will be a much improved team and at the end of the game we will put those teams away. Until then we need to be patient. Hey for being such a young team we've done really well. Kinda looking ahead at where we were at the beginning of the season when many posters thought Bria should sit, Caroline should start with KML and that UConn would have 5-7 losses we've come a long way. Now one set back, which we are not used to and some of us are looking to change something to try to make it better. Yes we can improve and changes can be made but not until everybody is up to speed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But by doing that, our guards aren’t finding her when she’s open. So there’s a little bit of a disconnect right now. When she’s open, we’re not finding her. When we’re looking for her, she’s not open. So we made a few things happen (Monday). She’ll touch the ball a lot more (tonight). No question about that.’’

Exactly what I have been saying. It has less to do with Stef than with the guards finding her in rhythm and in places useful for the offense.

Reaction Score
Tony C and I have talked about this over the past 2 years till we are "Blue In The Face"..... As a 6'3" small forward I was fortunate enough to be able to elevate the elbow above the basket, so I scored a ton of points .... all done where Dolson hangs out...top of the key or the foul line...when in motion I elevated with the ball over head I was actually shooting downward, the only way a defender could stop it was to go up with me or foul....Steph at 6"4" with a standing over head jump shot at the 10 foot level would be impossible to stop.. Get the ball ..turn..go up...Ripppppp !!!!! I only know of 4-6 girls in the country that could get that high ...... Time for a new shot..but maybe she already has it..?? She should watch EDD elevate....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom