Post On The Summit Has Hollivay Down To Ut And Ru | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post On The Summit Has Hollivay Down To Ut And Ru

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
what are you talking about? we play the #1 team in the big east (notre dame), the #1 team in the big 12 and the country (baylor), the #1 team in the acc (miami), the #1 team in the pac-12 (stanford), and the #1 team in the sun belt (mtsu) to boot.

of all of our out-of-conference games, only 4 of them are not ranked: virginia (on going series), old dominion (very old rivals, i'm sure this series will end soon), chattanooga and mtsu (in-state teams).
While I agree with your post, it's starting off a message by saying "what are you taking about" that comes off with an attitude. You can just simply present your facts. They stand by themselves.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I just read above that Tennessee has been "dreadfully terrible the last 3 seasons". I hate defending a program that isn't mine, but the statement might have been correct only when referring to 2008-2009.

For the last 2 seasons, Tenn went 66-6, won 2 SEC tourneys, and made the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Disapointing perhaps to a Tenn. fan, maybe - but dreadfully terrible - NO.

By those standards, UConn was dreadfully terrible in 1998 and 1999, going 63-8, winning 2 BE championships and finishing in the Swet 16 and Elite 8. Um, I was a Rutgers fan and personally thought UConn was one of the most outstanding teams in the country in 1998 and 1999. I don't think the RU staff thought UConn was dreadful either.

And finally, Rutgers had a 9-20 season one year (the year we recruited Cappie I think, and then she couldn't play). That was dreadful. And terrible. And we have done quite well since.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
@ tnvolfan...tonyc has a history of being somewhat...provacative with his statements regarding UCONN and their rivals. I certainly respect the enthusiasm, but I take the posts as rhetoric most of the time.

I love the rivalry between our two schools. I love how heated it gets. I love how we have used each other as the benchmark for success. WCBB needs this rivalry and I think both of our fanbases need it as well. Can you imagine how dull life would be without it?

I have said it before, but I will reitirate, I admire the UCOON program, coaches, and players for what they have accomplished. It's tremendous. I would like to think that most UCONN fans could say the same for the Lady Vols.

In regards to the original topic, the coaches are really high on Hollivay. We definately need the post depth for next season, but if we miss out on her, I think we stand a very good shot of landing Russell who appears to be a game changer. Recruiting is a very fluid process, though...anything can change in a New York minute with 15-18 year old girls. :)

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
While I agree with your post, it's starting off a message by saying "what are you taking about" that comes off with an attitude. You can just simply present your facts. They stand by themselves.

I'm replying to a post with 0 facts in it...I realize it can come across rude in an Internet post, but i was coming from a light-hearted, joking place. Every person on this board knows just as well as i do that the kind of stuff tony posts is uconn biased to the utmost degree. My post was of comic disbelief and I apologize if it came across rude.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm replying to a post with 0 facts in it...Every person on this board knows just as well as i do that the kind of stuff tony posts is uconn biased to the utmost degree. My post was of comic disbelief and I apologize if it came across rude.

All of which make replying to his posts like shooting fish in a barrel. If that's what you enjoy, then have at it. But the replies are often as tedious as the original posts. Just sayin'...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
This is just like the other day when I went onto the UT forums to talk about Hollivay. And I got upset when UT fans were saying that Rachel shouldn't come to RU because she would have to carry the team for her four years, because UT has far better players then RU does. While I might think(know) otherwise, there's no point in arguing with another school's fans on their own forums, because your way out numbered.

That being said I've always thought Tennessee has had a very good team year in, and year out. As a die-hard RU fan that holds grudges, and yes Tennessee has gotten under us Rutgers fans skins alot. So I'd root for UConn if the two programs were to play. :p

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
i'm not arguing...i do enjoy the banter sometimes, but as i said, i was coming from a joking place.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm replying to a post with 0 facts in it...I realize it can come across rude in an Internet post, but i was coming from a light-hearted, joking place. Every person on this board knows just as well as i do that the kind of stuff tony posts is uconn biased to the utmost degree. My post was of comic disbelief and I apologize if it came across rude.
It's a bulletin board and you are expecting facts? You will be sorely disappointed if you keep holding on to that expectation.

Reaction Score
Regarding Spani and Kelly, I will bet that if both played for either team, Kelly would be starting and Spani would be coming off the bench and playing fewer minutes. Nothing against Spani, she was recruited by UConn. But, Kelly is really a unique player and will be scoring more this year with fewer minutes.

What makes Kelly really special is her ferocious determination and drive. Geno once took her out of a game because he could see that she was about to run herself to death. I watched the Geno show with Maya, Tif and her. The first thing that struck me was how pretty she is when she isn't wearing her "game face." She was also very still, thoughtful and watchful. There was something about her that struck a cord; but, I couldn't put my finger on it at the time.

What I see in her, is what I saw in team I was a member of decades ago in Southeast Asia. There are many reasons why I don't think women should ever be placed in combat infantry units; but, I have no problem picturing Kelly as a member of my squad, quietly cleaning her rifle. I see that in Doty also. That is why I think Caroline will be this year's team leader and Kelly will assume that role.

Concerning recruiting classes, only valid judgment is results in college. Tenn classes have taken hits with injuries and transfers- but so has UConn. A series of top recruiting classes should have resulted some Final Fours. I don't know how Tenn can continually bomb in the NCAA's and rise again, phoenix-like, in pre-season polls the following year.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
It's a bulletin board and you are expecting facts? You will be sorely disappointed if you keep holding on to that expectation.

no...message boards are full of speculation, opinions, and attitude...i expect that. but i was called out for my attitude when it was said all i needed were the facts and i just wanted to point that out.

i realize though that this is a uconn board, and as a tennessee fan i expect a little more animosity or criticism than other posters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rachel called Rutgers the most "family-based" program she visited. She & April Sykes are very close. She would be a huge get for us. :cool:
Yeah, the coach and all her Goddaughters. :)

Actually, just Laney.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
All of which make replying to his posts like shooting fish in a barrel. If that's what you enjoy, then have at it. But the replies are often as tedious as the original posts. Just sayin'...
Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
no...message boards are full of speculation, opinions, and attitude...i expect that. but i was called out for my attitude when it was said all i needed were the facts and i just wanted to point that out.

i realize though that this is a uconn board, and as a tennessee fan i expect a little more animosity or criticism than other posters.
I thought you were being funny. Not looking for facts.

Seriously, I am having trouble buying that you were look for facts in a Tony post. What it looked like to me was you were saying was "what are you taking about?" and then countering all of Tony's opinion. I read your post again and didn't see anything funny about it.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
it's funny that someone would say or imply that we have a weak schedule.

i could have said "you're crazy" instead of "what are you talking about" and it would have had the same effect. it can be misunderstood on a message board, but if i was saying that to a friend who i was going back and forth with, no one would give it a second thought.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you look at the team TN put on the floor the past 3 seasons and all the talent and a much weaker schedule then previous seasons and watched the way they struggled to win againest teams with much lesser talent come on. Maybe my adjectives were a little strong, but with that talent and their schedule they shouldve pretty much run over most opponets. Thats like Tiger Woods playing short golf courses and shooting great scores and then in the majors not showing up. TN is an assemblage of talent, UConn plays as a team.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
we did run over most opponents.

we lost 3 games. we won 34. 31 of those were by 10 points or more. of the 3 wins that were by less than 10 points, we won by 9, 8, and 6 points over marquette (home), vandy (away), and kentucky (away), respectively.

the only game that i would have expected a larger margin of victory would have been over marquette. the other two are conference rivals on the road. if we can only win by single digits in 2 of those games, that's fine by me.

but we did beat vandy by 12 at home and kentucky by 25 in the sec tournament.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
i would say we had superior teams on paper when compared to GT and ND, but they exploited our biggest weakness: perimeter defense. and they exploited them all the way to a win.

baylor is a tough matchup for anyone in the country.

JS

Reaction Score
And you've handled it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99