Post Game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Post Game thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Carlton shot an air ball from 6 feet away from the basket. I would rather have the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in the middle.

Polley has received way to much credit on this board this year. If he doesn't hit his 3 point shot, he should not be on the court. He's weak, doesn't rebound, can't play D and does not make his teammates better.

Cobb is better than Carlton and should be playing 25 minutes per game even though he should be a backup.

Jalen Adams is not the reason why we lost last night. He is still our best all-around player but just not the next Shabazz/Kemba like we all hoped. He is not a leader. Let's accept him for what he is.

AG is a solid man on man Defensive guard but has a long way to make a difference on the offensive side of the ball. Out of control and quite honestly, his size is a liability.

Love Vital's heart and desire and his game has improved all 3 years. Something Adams can't say.

This is the softest, weakest team I have ever seen at UConn. These are Ollie's players and not Hurley's. We'll go .500 or a little better in the conference but that is pathetic for UConn basketball. It's not going to happen but I would be happy if next year the only returning players are Gilbert, Vital, Wilson, Polley (off the bench shooter). Everyone else is replaceable. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting!!!

Wow. A rational take. Who expected such a thing on the Boneyard.

At this point, I'm going to suggest something I didn't think I'd need to. As he has shown for four years now, Jalen is a point guard. He can score around the rim, but isn't much of a shooter. He's out of position off the ball. Time to play him and PG and move Al to SG. Al has been fairly effective shooting 3s on kick-outs.

Vital needs to shoot whenever he has an open catch and shoot opportunity.

Sid needs to start over Polley until Polley figures out why he can't make anything. I don't expect much from Sid either, but at least he can get some game experience. If Brendan Adams shows any ability to shoot in practice, he needs to play. The 4 spot is a complete and utter black hole of nothing right now, and the 5 isn't much better.

The moment Diarra can play he needs to be the 4. This team needs rebounding and toughness.

The moment Yawke is back he needs to start at the 5 over Carlton. Same reason we need Diarra.

Reaction Score
If you want to avoid examining the coach’s performance, “Fit and balance” are a conveniently subjective explanation for how a far less talented team whips a far more talented team. But if you want to go there, do you really think USF has that much more “fit” and “balance”? They play 3 guards, we play 3 (more talented) guards. They have a bunch of raw bigs (except for Yetna), we have a bunch of raw bigs. So your ridiculous subjective argument, to the extent you even thought about it and aren’t just throwing words around, boils down to the fact that they have Yetna. Nice player but doesn’t nearly make up for the raw talent differences everywhere else on the floor. And btw, we also had a decent big yesterday but he found himself glued to the bench despite 7 rebounds in 15 mins.

So what you saw as “fit and balance” was actually Brian Gregory getting the most out of his less talented (and much younger!) roster. Can’t say the same about us and that’s on the coach. Love Hurley and acknowledge he does have a flawed roster, but he’s not beyond reproach.
No one avoiding anything. Is Coach Hurley perfect? No. Is he the problem and the reason we lost last night? No. Our players stink that’s why we lost. You and other posters have this weird assumption that we are so much more talented than this USF team. Show me all of our talented players. Guys like Polley, Carlton, Cobb, Whaley, Smith, brenden Adams, and Yakwe are USF level players. Our “talented” players are very young and inexperienced in Sid and rique. That leaves CV and an unmotivated Jalen. Are we slightly more talented? Yes. Enough to automatically beat this USF team? No. We aren’t that friggin talented. That’s the problem. And when there isn’t a big discrepancy in talent, fit and roster balance matter and even make the difference in most occasions

Reaction Score
What is comical is believing that USF has more talented guards and over all players than UConn.
What is your definition of talent? When everyone is undersized and can't compete against big guys, all the "talent" in the world won't make a difference. By the time the first half ends, and you are being beaten up by bigger, stronger guys, who may be less "talented", you don't have the strength to continue. All the conditioning in the world may make it better, but you have to get bigger and stronger players to compete. AG looks like a peanut out there. The rest of the sticks can't fight these big guys.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just caught up with this thread "Memento"-style, scrolling backwards through the pages. My impressions:

Grateful for my chicken wing-induced mercy coma and not seeing this game.

Good to see that @AntG168 and @Jay-Bone finalized their divorce.

Whoever said that if CV was going to be putting up big numbers this year it would mean that we weren't very good (@superjohn?) may have been onto something.

I don't ever want to watch a directional game: beating ECU, USF, or UCF adds nothing, and losing is a horror. I know this is a pathetic attitude & demonstrates disrespect & emotional immaturity, but I can't shake it. I hope & pray that good coaching turns these games into automatic, hard-played beat downs. I am currently incapable of providing more than bulletin board fodder for the other team. I am sorry for this. That's my part in this mess I've been reading.

I also need a plan to gain access to CBSSN games. Not even a free 7-day trial link to fubo.tv from the CBS Sports app could motivate me last night, and I see about a half dozen more games on the horizon. Can anyone gently walk this sick & suffering man through a strategy to bridge this gap?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Theyre are 4 guys worth there scholarships next year(rique, CV, Sid, and Polley). EVERYONE else can kick rocks

You're a terrible fan, and you deserve last night's loss.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn frontcourt, meet UConn football defense. You guys are going to get along just fine.

"Ken, Lonny, l'd like you to meet Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton. Grab a seat and make yourselves at home. Don't be shy about helping yourselves to punch and cookies."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just caught up with this thread "Memento"-style, scrolling backwards through the pages. My impressions:

Grateful for my chicken wing-induced mercy coma and not seeing this game.

Good to see that @AntG168 and @Jay-Bone finalized their divorce.

Whoever said that if CV was going to be putting up big numbers this year it would mean that we weren't very good (@superjohn?) may have been onto something.

I don't ever want to watch a directional game: beating ECU, USF, or UCF adds nothing, and losing is a horror. I know this is a pathetic attitude & demonstrates disrespect & emotional immaturity, but I can't shake it. I hope & pray that good coaching turns these games into automatic, hard-played beat downs. I am currently incapable of providing more than bulletin board fodder for the other team. I am sorry for this. That's my part in this mess I've been reading.

I also need a plan to gain access to CBSSN games. Not even a free 7-day trial link to fubo.tv from the CBS Sports app could motivate me last night, and I see about a half dozen more games on the horizon. Can anyone gently walk this sick & suffering man through a strategy to bridge this gap?
cannabis. and better internet skillz. stress kills, so please try to remember it's just a game to be enjoyed for your entertainment...did I mention that stress kills?

Reaction Score
They at least had that drive earlier in the year. Adversity against big boy teams seems to have completely and totally erased that.
Yes, I think reality has sunk in. Being throttled by the "big boys" will do that to you. It's taking a little longer to sink in to the fan base.

Reaction Score
Just stop him. Just you know, go out there and do that. Just like that.
Staying between him and the basket would have been beneficial. He's a one dimensional player. You ever guard anyone?

Reaction Score
Missed the game, but just absorbing the first BY headlines I see, gotta ask: is the season over already??

Reaction Score
The only adjusment he made was going to rim once they saw how the game was being called the 2nd half. I’m not sure I would say USF was a far less talented team than us based on the last 25 minutes of this game. This team is not showing it is that much better than the past couple of teams as far as talent goes.

They didn't adjust -- they were doing it in the first half as well. USF didn't change anything. They mixed up defenses, crashed the offensive boards relentlessly, and drove to the basket at every opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom