Post Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Well someone on UCONN's staff is reading the boneyard because all of my suggestions were carried out to perfection today. We played through our bigs and Brimah was a monster today with Facey having his best game of the year. Hamilton playing the point as a point forward is another suggestion that I saw carried out perfectly today with 11 points and 11 assists. Boatright was solid all around and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

Amida and Hamilton leading us to number 5 this year.

Reaction Score
love your enthusiasm, i really do... but do you know that we beat Coppin St, right? They are quite possibly the worst team in D1 whose only win is against Goldey-Beacom Lightning. And while we scored at will, we also gave up 85; a season high for them.

Reaction Score
Why didnt we just feed brimah in the yale game. I know this team is shorter but still yale had no one who could guard brimah

Reaction Score
Well someone on UCONN's staff is reading the boneyard because all of my suggestions were carried out to perfection today. We played through our bigs and Brimah was a monster today with Facey having his best game of the year. Hamilton playing the point as a point forward is another suggestion that I saw carried out perfectly today with 11 points and 11 assists. Boatright was solid all around and a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

Wow, you are narcissistic.

Reaction Score
Why didnt we just feed brimah in the yale game. I know this team is shorter but still yale had no one who could guard brimah

This was one of the worst frontlines I've ever seen... Probably 1/2 of his points occurred b/c our guards beat their guards off the dribble and their big men have no idea how to play d. We didn't beat Yale off the dribble; hence, no 'oops for AB.

Reaction Score
Our defense just gave up 85 points to Coppin State. This game does not have me feeling good looking forward. I am likely in a small minority, but we give up up too many easy points. Run and gun against Puke, with little to no D may not work. I would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Coppin St. is probably in the bottom 1% of NCAA...not sure how much we learn other than build confidence. We hung with TX who is a legit top 10 team without Purvis...learned more from that game.

UConn has good & great players but our depth is a problem. Our top 5 players...Boat/Hamilton/Brimah/Facey/Purvis...when healthy can play with anyone in the country. What we end up getting out of Cassel/Calhoun/Nolan/Samuel is the concern. Hoping Calhoun can be our secret "Spearchucker Jones" at some point soon in 2014-2015.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ollie is reading the Boneyard as I write this awaiting your next coaching strategy for the Duke game.:)

Reaction Score
Our defense just gave up 85 points to Coppin State. This game does not have me feeling good looking forward. I am likely in a small minority, but we give up up too many easy points. Run and gun against Puke, with little to no D may not work. I would love to be wrong.

coppin state was 15/32 from three at 46.9 percent. If they shoot say 11/32 that's still damn good considering most of their shots were contested, but that makes the margin of victory much larger. they had a great shooting night. It wasn't the defense.

Reaction Score

Many things went well. The ally up was left wide open. Facey was better no doubt but you also said run the offense through him right? Did you watch him pass the ball at all? If you're not holding your breath almost every time he looks for someone you're not watching the same guy as me. A long way to go passing it, but he was aggressive on the boards and going to the hole. Our best offense is the alley oops to those guy but it's not going to happen against a real good team that much or close. Nonetheless exciting to see the young bigs be involved in the pay on both ends. Even Rock showed his face!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's Coppin State, but still a step forward for Brimah, Facey, and Hamilton. Boat found himself and the shaky guards all looked a little better.
Now they need to cut down on turnovers and improve perimeter defense. But this was as a good step forward.

Reaction Score
coppin state was 15/32 from three at 46.9 percent. If they shoot say 11/32 that's still damn good considering most of their shots were contested, but that makes the margin of victory much larger. they had a great shooting night. It wasn't the defense.

Normally I would say you're right but much of it was on the defense. They had a fast guard/guards, faster than anyone could run with and we never changed. The fact they beat Boat and Samuel back easily all the time led to help defense and wide open 3's. While many of them were "hey nice shot" at least half was crappy defense and not thinking, going for steals in the back court on guys who were already blowing by you. Run to half court and defend them from there where they can't go full speed ahead. It was actually tough to watch.

You give Duke that many open 3's they will win by 30 or more!

Reaction Score

You watched a different game than I did. I did not see all of the contested shots you did. Again hope I am wrong, but this is not a good defensive team at this point. We play like this and we lose to Duke by 10+.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'd give the team a B- today.

The offense was great. I wouldn't say A+ because of some sloppiness, but you can't say too much when the scoreboard says 106.

Defensively, not good. OK, and for stretches very good, but overall way too many open shots. I know we were running & gunning, and I know Coppin was hitting everything from deep, but they were all wide-open 3's. Of their 32 3-point attempts, I'd say 25 were essentially wide open. Not good.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They had moments of swarming defense like 1990. And long periods of just letting them shoot. They will have to play better D against Duke. But it was good to the improvements they made.

Reaction Score
my perception of the 3s were that most of them were either contested or were deep 3 point shots at least a few feet behind the line in order to avoid being contested. How many were wide open shots taken right behind the 3 point line? Coppin state came into the game shooting 28.3% from the 3 point line as a team. They happened to have a great shooting night. If you want to talk about fast break layups being given up, then that is a different story. there were some stupid turnovers that led to layups on the other end.

Reaction Score
my perception of the 3s were that most of them were either contested or were deep 3 point shots at least a few feet behind the line in order to avoid being contested. How many were wide open shots taken right behind the 3 point line? Coppin state came into the game shooting 28.3% from the 3 point line as a team. They happened to have a great shooting night. If you want to talk about fast break layups being given up, then that is a different story. there were some stupid turnovers that led to layups on the other end.

I mean no doubt they shot it real well and when you think about it how much better can Duke shoot than that? Problem is if Duke shoots that good and they play 100 times better defense than CSU we're in trouble! But again, I agree they shot the ball extremely well and confident for a 29% shooting team.

Reaction Score
Stinger92860 said:
You watched a different game than I did. I did not see all of the contested shots you did. Again hope I am wrong, but this is not a good defensive team at this point. We play like this and we lose to Duke by 10+.

We tried to play 94 feet of defense, trap more than we usually do, and got a little stretched out. It was working like a charm - we had 38 points 10 minutes in, but we definitely lost our attention to detail for the rest of the half (and Coppin would bomb away after they broke pressure and before we got organized, and made a bunch) Then Coppin annoyingly shot 100 percent in the last four minutes to make the final spread 20 instead of 30.

Against Duke, we will probably try to play more like we did against Texas - lock in on D in the half court and not get stretched. We might still lose by 10+. Duke might make shots Texas missed (or get the put backs Texas didn't).

Almost nothing we did today will translate against Duke - we turned Coppin over easily and scored at the rim constantly. But we won't be as stretched out defensively either.

Reaction Score
Think about what our defense looked like in the 2014 NCAA tournament and where it is now. It is light years apart. That's not to say we will not improve, but we need to shoot light puts out to win against better competition at this point in time.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I felt like CS was so quick to shoot 3s at the rate they were making them it was tough to fault the defense for every make.

Reaction Score
I counted the made 3 point baskets through the first 35 minutes. It was 91-64 at that point with 5 minutes left. If you want to over analyze garbage time, then you can do that.
here is what I got.

contested: 4
uncontested, but defender on him and would have been contested if normal range: 2
uncontested: 3

I can count every basket if you want including misses, but I was able to quickly go through the replay and see each time coppin state made a 3 point basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom