Post-Game Thoughts: UConn v. Tulane | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Post-Game Thoughts: UConn v. Tulane

Reaction Score
Regarding the game, we’ve seen this often. No press and little fast break in the second half. More substitutions. We are really good in transition, but our half-court offense has been erratic this season. The change in Geno’s strategy explains much of the score differential.

I expected more of Megan this year, but look who is ahead of her in the rotation: 4 1st-team all-conference players, 1 2nd-teamer, and 1 3rd-teamer. I’m not sure any UConn frosh had to deal with that ever. I think she defers a little too much. Her job is to defend, rebound, and get the ball to the scorers. I’ll check her stats, but I don’t think they are all that different from those of Pheesa, Gabby, or Tuck in their first year. Meg’s best games were when Lou was out. She moves up the depth chart next year and makes a sophomore leap.

I think Kia started, after the Stanford loss, with four all americans. In fact, she started 99 of the next 100 games, until she sprained her ankle in the South Carolina game.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the Gabby thread but it obviously applies here also!

With Cincinnati beating Tulsa 66-65, while I'm thrilled for Jamelle to make the semi's, Geno doesn't have to play Gabby at all and Crystal Dangerfield for as little as possible, and still get to the Finals!
Why take chances with 6 huge NCAA games coming up soon! Rest one or both and squeak by Cincinnati if need be then play them vs SoFl most likely on Tuesday night!
Katie Lou, Kia, Pheesa, Azura, and Walker can handle the Bearcats. And starting will put some juice on Miss Walker to play at her best!
And it'll expand the bench Molly, Kyla, and Batouly will get some much needed minutes in pressure situations!

Reaction Score
Gabby should be shut down until the tournament begins. The team should be able to get through the AAC tournament without her. Crystal should get some rest tomorrow and play and few minutes on Tuesday because the team will need her then. The national championship is too close to be gambling

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder whether Walker fully realizes that C. Williams is a competitor and has her eyes on that 5th starting spot. If I was her watching Walker, I'd be like this summer I'm going to focus on defense and that spot is mine!

I am sure Megan is hearing all the Glowing words Geno has said about Williams being a competitor. I hope she responds accordingly

Reaction Score
I was reading somewhere that despite all the hand-wringing over the bench production, if you were to look at the other elite teams that played today you'd see that UConn's bench (which does include Stevens BTW) was more productive.

Team-bench pts
ND - 8
UL - 0
MSt- 10
S Car - 0 (Wilson came off the bench but played 33 min.)
Stan - 10
Org - 3

Kudos to the person who noticed this.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What more do you want from her?
1 - Keep space between her and the shooter, you cant block when too close
2 - when close then stay vertical - understand that she doesn't have to block every shot, just be disruptive.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
My take when the bench was in? They have found no way to work the ball inside. With the best 3 point shooters out, the options are really limited - especially when you run the clock down on the perimeter.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We won and we advance. That's the most important aspect of the game.

First half was pretty good. Crystal really ran the show as she should. Second half was okay. Gabby being out seriously hurt the offense and the high-low game. Don't forget, she leads the team in assists. When Crystal tweaked her ankle, then Lou went out towards the end of the 3rd quarter, the offense stalled. The bench is what it is no sense beating a dead horse.

Win tonight and advance.

Reaction Score
Was at the game. Really enjoyed the first half especially. Snagged a great seat near the UConn basket for the second half.
Felt so bad for Gabby. I didn't think she was moving well from the start and practiced her foul line jumper a lot in warm-up. We really don't know with her particular issue how much resting or playing will impact it. I wonder if she was afraid of a"Katie Lou" injury situation. Fortunately she was laughing with Lou later on.
I thought the bench players in general did not seize their opportunity. Walker played with both groups and looked tentative on offense. Late in the game I was yelling at her to cut, drive, get something done!
As long as everyone is "servicably sound" (horse term ) for the main tourney, it's all good.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What more do you want from her?
Through the 29 regular season games, Z has committed the most fouls on the team, while starting only 7 games but playing less minutes than any of the 5 starters. It does us no good for her to come into a game late in the 1st quarter or at the beginning of the second, only to end the half sitting on the bench with two or three fouls. In fact in one game, she had 3 fouls in less than 3 minutes of playing time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Live reactions to the game sitting 3rd row under the basket:

1. Crystal and Lou were amazing in the first half
2. Pheesa was amazing in the second half especially when we lost CD and GW due to injuries.
3. I don't fully understand Gabby Crying every time she tweaks her hip. Did you tear it and out for the season, then I get it, did you tweak it and are day to day? Then your going to be ok.. She's kinda been in her head a bit this year??
4. The coaching staff must scratch here heads with Megan Walker. She had a poor game and it was very evident when your in person. Turnovers, turning your head the wrong way and allowing a lay up on a fast break. I honestly don't see much out of her this year, sorry. I don't even expect it against the lousiville's or ND'S of the world but how about these crappy conference teams.. Sorry.
5. Z was awesome tonight. She is going to be so darned good next year. She will more than make up for Gabby graduating. It will certainly be more of a typical lineup with Z at the 5 and Collier at the 4....
6. I felt bad for Kyla, she's the best and she had a rough game. I root for her so hard, she is such a hard worker and bright kid.

Great crowd, band was awesome as usual, and the hula hoop competition was riveting. Those 2 kids were great.

One to the next round!!
Good post. But I would like to comment on points 3 and 4.
On 3, one of the things I learned coaching girls (under 18) was to understand their range of emotions are different then with guys. A girls can smile after making a poor play, but inside she cares as much or more as the guy who throws a fit. Also, I couldn't figure out the crying, so I just let them be them.

On 4, have you seen some of the freshman players playing for other teams. I was watching TN and while they can make some beautiful solo offensive moves, Geno would be apoplectic over their defense and passing. I think she will be fine.

Reaction Score
Meg knows Christyn and how good she is. But Meg’s one year at UConn gives her a huge advantage over Christyn. Crystal benefitted from playing and regular practices last year, so she got the nod as a starter this year over Azura. I think 75% of the BY were sure that Z was too good not to start and Crystal was inconsistent as a frosh. How do you like her now?
Not sure Crystal is the right comparison. I think it is more a Chong Nurse situation. I'm sure Chong thought the same way you do. As talented as Walker is, I just don't understand why she is not forcefully shutting that door of possibility.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's okay to talk about what happened in the game? Okay. My mommy told me if you can't say anything good, say nothing at all.
She heard that from Thumper's dad! :D

Reaction Score
Through the 29 regular season games, Z has committed the most fouls on the team, while starting only 7 games but playing less minutes than any of the 5 starters. It does us no good for her to come into a game late in the 1st quarter or at the beginning of the second, only to end the half sitting on the bench with two or three fouls. In fact in one game, she had 3 fouls in less than 3 minutes of playing time.

She leads the team in virtually every offensive category/minutes played. Playing tough post defense is new for her, you have to take the good with the bad, and with Stevens there is a hell of a lot more good. Honestly, they are a better basketball team with her on the floor! This is evidenced by the runs they have gone on recently when she enters the game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She leads the team in virtually every offensive category/minutes played. Playing tough post defense is new for her, you have to take the good with the bad, and with Stevens there is a hell of a lot more good. Honestly, they are a better basketball team with her on the floor! This is evidenced by the runs they have gone on recently when she enters the game.
I have no argument with what you are saying about Z WHEN she's on the floor. But that's also my point. If 2 of the starters are on the bench to stay, then we need Z to be able to stay on the floor. That's all. She's played games and not been in foul trouble and that should be the norm, not the exception.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I agree. I think people do not truly understand how difficult it is to play defense - especially Geno style. Z has exploded offensively. Some of her moves around the basket are surprising. But she is also showing some toughness on defense under the boards. She is grabbing rebounds a ripping them away. Watch her post defense. She is learning to brace herself and use her body to keep opponents from getting position down low. There is fight there!

I still think she will continue to be first off the bench. When she enters, she changes the game as you have stated.

Reaction Score
I am the most disappointed with Kyla. At her size she plays small, and will not shoot unless wide open on the perimeter. She constantly gets blocked in the lane. Meghan has improved her defense. She looked like a promising offensive player earlier in the season, but now looks to just " not do anything wrong ". Z has never seen a shot she doesn't like. Perhaps it's time for Geno to run some plays thru Meghan until she snaps out of it. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I was reading somewhere that despite all the hand-wringing over the bench production, if you were to look at the other elite teams that played today you'd see that UConn's bench (which does include Stevens BTW) was more productive.

Team-bench pts
ND - 8
UL - 0
MSt- 10
S Car - 0 (Wilson came off the bench but played 33 min.)
Stan - 10
Org - 3

Kudos to the person who noticed this.
But they aren't UConn and they don't have the number 1 recruit in the nation. The sophomores aren't lighting it up either. Texas and Baylor had production off their bench, knowing with injuries there are bench players starting....

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Its' not quite Voltaire but I believe I owe you a bit of pedantry, Bags: Lesley. ;)
Pedantry! Great word! :) And I bet that Pangloss would say that the BY is the best of all possible worlds. We get basketball and tutelage. And I like your dog,too.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Anyone else REALLY tired of the selection day commercial? Twist that knife a little deeper, ESPN.
I firmly believe that they play it for the other 63 teams that will play in the tournament. It gives them hope, and aggravates us. It's a twofer. ;)

Reaction Score
I am the most disappointed with Kyla. At her size she plays small, and will not shoot unless wide open on the perimeter. She constantly gets blocked in the lane. Meghan has improved her defense. She looked like a promising offensive player earlier in the season, but now looks to just " not do anything wrong ". Z has never seen a shot she doesn't like. Perhaps it's time for Geno to run some plays thru Meghan until she snaps out of it. Just my opinion.
Agree with some caveats. Have seen Kyla play in person in a few games, most recently SMU. What I saw was someone not afraid to shoot but primarily a stationary shooter without the ability to create shoots. As she has played more against better players, her skills and deficiencies have become evident. My view is she is playing as well as she can with minimal upside. Others, such as Meagan and Camara, still have consistency issues but great upside.

Reaction Score
Realistically, which members of the bench would see play against a round of sixteen or better NCAA tournament game? Certainly fewer players and fewer minutes because the games would be closer. So for those games Stevens and the starters would see substantial minutes leaving possibly a few minutes for another player or two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom