Post Game quotes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Game quotes

Reaction Score
KO is playing victim. He taught his son the same act. He is in denial of who he really is and blames others for realitynot matching his vision of himself.

The reality is that KO is, or was and can be again, a hard working and persistent man. But he is not a leader and he is not a smart coach. He is great as part of a coaching "team" but he doesn't have what it takes to be the top dog. He has always been, and will always be, a role player. He needs to be an honorable man and strike a deal with UConn so we can move on and he can move on to an NBA assistant position, which is where he belongs and where he can contribute the most.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Ollie: “When they feel the ship is sinking, the rats jump off first. The scavengers jump off first. We’re not scavengers, we’re not rats. We’re staying right on the damn boat."
woof

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

Interesting part here -- someone asks if talent there to win the league. KO uses the team being 3-3 as proof we have the talent. If we had the talent to win this league we wouldn't be 3-3.

KO has such abysmal body language

Reaction Score
I hope Ollie isnt speaking for the players because I bet a bunch of them quit on him at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
KO has such abysmal body language
I was saying that over a month ago. But I agree. I would hate to have a teacher with similar characteristics in the classroom, why should it be any different on the court? The best coaches are teachers too, after all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So if the rats and scavengers stay on the sinking boat who is going to go for help and rescue the sinking boat?

Reaction Score
What we are seeing on the court is depressing.

The post game pressers when you just listen to Ollie are even more demoralizing somehow. I caught his coaches show on WTIC on the ride home from work the other night. He just says nothing insightful. It's just a blank slate of cliches in the same tone. It was the same when I listened to his off season podcast with Rothstein. Again I would feel better if I got any sense of genuine emotion or accountability going forward from him. I get nothing. It's disturbing.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of that quote from the guy who was running Apple into the ground right before Steve Jobs came back: "Apple is like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction"
My first thought was "to make it easier to salvage . . . . . . . . . when sunken".

Reaction Score
None of what coaches say to the public matters. Say the same stuff when you are winning an they think you are a genius. They never tell you anything win or lose.

I remember some slumps with Calhoun. All he ever said was we needed more intensity.

If we win, he will look at the stat sheet and say, "I like how we rebounded." or some other piece of nonsense a five year old could have babbled. What is he going to say after this blowout? We have a badly flawed and inferior team? If he does he is blaming the players. I'm glad he isn't doing that.

I hoped but didn't expect to beat Nova and I thought it possible we would get blown out. We simply do not have the pieces to compete against the best teams. So I don't care what he says. Let's see how the season plays out.

Reaction Score

Interesting part here -- someone asks if talent there to win the league. KO uses the team being 3-3 as proof we have the talent. If we had the talent to win this league we wouldn't be 3-3.

Observations on that 2 minute clip:

1. Coach is in denial
2. "Recruiting for UConn guys"; UConn guys are 10-9 which mediocre, they also lose a lot (past couple of seasons). Defacto, that's what and who he's recruiting.
3. "We see what we need and are out there recruiting"; Well that has been for 4-5 years and still no shooter(s) or stud (potential AA needed for Championship) or already developed beastly big.
4. 'Our players are getting better', well why isn't our record reflecting that? Hell why isn't our on-court performance reflect that. Are players' decision improving? Are we reducing our turnovers? Is our shooting getting better? Is our defense getting better. What the hell is he talking about and what does he mean?
Or he could be right but our opponent players are getting better'er much quicker and more superior than ours.
4. Admitted the ship is sinking. That's the most telling. If the ship is sinking its going down. Everyone who stayed on the Titanic drowned. Perhaps that's is the reason players were transferring; they felt the iceberg and they got off the Titanic.
5. While I admit it was a tough interview after another humiliating loss, Ollie was unemotional, unapologetic and seemingly indifferent. He also offered no solution for the next game(s) to prevent it happening again. It was as if he took a Valium before getting up to the podium.

Contrast that to the bad/angry attitude of Calhoun (who hated to lose, especially get embarrassed). He would throw tantrums, make snarky remarks, argue with reporters and basically intimidate them when he was pissed off. With Calhoun you could tell we lost bad, and he would never make it rosy and acceptable.

Guys this ain't a good reaction and certainly not hopeful looking forward.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The reality is that KO is, or was and can be again, a hard working and persistent man. But he is not a leader and he is not a smart coach. He is great as part of a coaching "team" but he doesn't have what it takes to be the top dog. He has always been, and will always be, a role player. He needs to be an honorable man and strike a deal with UConn so we can move on and he can move on to an NBA assistant position, which is where he belongs and where he can contribute the most.
I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it might be.

"Sometimes falling feels like flying for a little while."

"It's not how hard you fall, it's how high you bounce."

But an ocean floor?

Hey, I'm in. Never been there before and you folks are good company. Just keep making me laugh.

Reaction Score
Ollie: “When they feel the ship is sinking, the rats jump off first. The scavengers jump off first. We’re not scavengers, we’re not rats. We’re staying right on the damn boat."
Sorry KO, you should reread the old cliche..."The Captain goes down with the ship!" everyone else seeks the lifeboats.

Reaction Score
What we are seeing on the court is depressing.

The post game pressers when you just listen to Ollie are even more demoralizing somehow. I caught his coaches show on WTIC on the ride home from work the other night. He just says nothing insightful. It's just a blank slate of cliches in the same tone. It was the same when I listened to his off season podcast with Rothstein. Again I would feel better if I got any sense of genuine emotion or accountability going forward from him. I get nothing. It's disturbing.

The sad thing is when you realize that his in-practice and in-game coaching probably isn't much more than those same empty cliches.

Reaction Score
Did KO buy some ad space here?
There is some guy that keeps giving me the finger on top of the page

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I thought the quote at the start of this thread was a bad joke. When I realized Ollie actually said that... wow.

Reaction Score

It's temporary as long as he is coach.

Reaction Score
Just once I would like him to say after a blowout, “we are a lousy team, a lousy bad shooting shooting and defending team. I take all responsibility, the buck stops with me.” Tired of the trite sayings of elevators, ships and rats.

Yea, like the following:

The ship was taking on water, so the rat got on the ship's elevator to get above the flooding. But, alas, the ship sank anyways and made that effort irrelevant...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom