Post game news conference Hurley and Whaley | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Post game news conference Hurley and Whaley

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here. Being in the Big East is a pretty big advantage in recruiting that coach Hurley has and coach Ollie did not have.
F recruiting. He sucked when he had superior talent in the AAC. Before the march run he under achieved with Bazz and Boat as well. He wasn't a great coach. He had some great isolation scorers who caught fire and made him look better then what he was. KO was never the answer. And i was a KO guy. But sure being in the AAC we shouldve expected a drop off, but we didnt drop off, we collapsed. And that's all on KO

Reaction Score
They got dominated by a team that dictated tempo and style of play. The advantages that UConn had going into this game were not even marginally exploited. Acting like it’s some sort of fluke that they lost because they missed a bunch of layups is wild.

40+ rebounds, but we didn’t exploit our advantages. The stupid runs strong here.
We missed easy shots. Full stop.

Reaction Score
I agree with the uptempo pace. All season in fact. Even JC mentioned it in that interview. It's my biggest complaint on Hurley. If we are going to recruit athletes like AJax, we need to turn them loose a little. I think Hurley thought he could manage our poor shooting by playing a slow, low scoring style and play defense and rebound. Kind of how an NFL teams tries to play ball control and run the ball a lot to hide a mediocre QB and keep their defense off the field. Problem is it made our margin for error razor thin and we just didnt have the shotmakers to play that style. We would inevitably have stretches or in this case entire games where we just couldnt score. We are just too easy to defend in the half court. We have 2 threats. Bouk and Adama. Sanogo is always in foul trouble. Teams can also converge on him and have little fear of our 3 point shooters. Bouk gets their best defender and help. Teams are aware of him always. They also dare him to shoot the 3 and he was subpar from there this season. The only thing I disagree with is I dont think we are good enough to have the luxury to throw our C game out there against any 10 seed and expect to win. Maybe we could squeak one out but Maryland, while not world beaters, played a tougher schedule, beat better teams. They had wins against Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Mich St. We beat USC 4 months ago. It was a 7/10 game. The spread was like 3.5.
Agree with all of that. We might have the most athletic wings in the country in Bouknight and Jackson, Martin ain't too shabby and yet Hurley refuses to run. It's so evident we are a different team when we run. Our halfcourt offense gets completely bogged down against good teams, it's not too hard to defend a team in the halfcourt when they don't have outside shooting threats. Hurley's inability/refusal to run and make in game adjustments is a troubling trend. Coaches like players can and should improve, he still has a lot to work on.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of that. We might have the most athletic wings in the country in Bouknight and Jackson, Martin ain't too shabby and yet Hurley refuses to run. It's so evident we are a different team when we run. Our halfcourt offense gets completely bogged down against good teams, it's not too hard to defend a team in the halfcourt when they don't have outside shooting threats. Hurley's inability/refusal to run and make in game adjustments is a troubling trend. Coaches like players can and should improve, he still has a lot to work on.
I was critical of Hurley in the game, but they absolutely tried to run against Maryland. You could hear the coaches yelling to push it. But there was nowhere TO run, because as expected, Maryland made a lot of effort to get back on D with 4 guys on every possession.

Reaction Score
I was critical of Hurley in the game, but they absolutely tried to run against Maryland. You could hear the coaches yelling to push it. But there was nowhere TO run, because as expected, Maryland made a lot of effort to get back on D with 4 guys on every possession.
Seriously. Just watch the game. By the time a rebound was in hand there were 3-4 Maryland guys already back on D. That's what Maryland always does, and they were extra careful about it this game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't vote for zone either, but at least a zone might've prevented those three massive dunks from MD with no one in the lane. So there's that.
I’ve been saying this to myself all season. I hate the way we just refuse to change up the defense sometimes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don’t understand what people here expect. He took a dumpster fire of a program that was recruiting kids off YouTube and put that program back into the national spotlight to be respected again. We had a successful season. It’s going to get better
I don't expect a team to have two poor games in a row in their two most important games of the season to date. This team beat nobody who was ranked (except a UCS victory very early in the season) and merely won games they should have. I know KO and he wasn't recruiting off of YouTube. After the Maryland game, based on the national commentators and newspapers, UConn has not earned any respect, it's "star" fizzled and the HC looked like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming semi.
Should KO have been sent packing - yes. Did we intend to hire a HC who could recruit athletes and roll the ball out and just let them play? Hopefully not but right now it sure looks like it may be.
I've said it several times, nobody is beneath having a mentor, and DH really needs an experienced HC who has coached in the big conferences and wants to sit next to him on the bench to offer guidance as an assistant coach.
I'm all for allowing him to have a go at getting it done, he deserves it, but in 3 seasons nothing has shown me that DH has adequately prepared a unit for battle against the big boys. This has to be a priority as well as recruiting positional players with specific skill sets.
These things can be fixed and DH can be successful but he needs to change many things - some are easy fixes

Reaction Score
Make layups at even a remotely reasonable rate and they win.

Hurley can do a lot, but he cannot make a layup for them.
But he can have them practice what to do on offensive rebounds. Bring it back out, set it up and make Maryland play defense again. It's not like UConn hasn't had a problem with layups all year (look at 1st Creighton game shooting stats and this game, the Pips (i.e. anyone not named Bouknight) shot the same).

Problem is that was the "normal" UConn inside shooting %. Martin shotputs putbacks, this hasn't changed, Whaley shoots like he is looking and aiming the wrong direction (he actually doesn't shoot the layup he flings it). How about practicing layups?

Watched parts of most all games to date and UConn looked the most ragged offensively in virtually every aspect.

UConn passes the ball without purpose and often one handed and with less oomph than Sister Jean would use.

What coach would have a 2 for 16 three point shooter like Jackson think it was ok to take even one 3 in an NCAA tournament game? In the history of UConn basketball if it weren't for Terrance Samuels he would be the worst 3 point shooter of all time.

Why not start Polley and Gaffney instead of Cole and Martin? Why not prepare for isolation offense by opponent (Creighton and Villanova did it) against Cole, Martin and Bouknight and have a strategy other than hope opponent misses the layup?

Very poor team offensive performance, that's on the coach. As for defense, Maryland shot 51%, hold them to 40% and would have won the game (so offense was not the only poor performance).

Boneyard fans laugh at Boehiem as a coach, seems like he's done a better job with less talent than Hurley.

Reaction Score
I don't expect a team to have two poor games in a row in their two most important games of the season to date. This team beat nobody who was ranked (except a UCS victory very early in the season) and merely won games they should have. I know KO and he wasn't recruiting off of YouTube. After the Maryland game, based on the national commentators and newspapers, UConn has not earned any respect, it's "star" fizzled and the HC looked like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming semi.
Should KO have been sent packing - yes. Did we intend to hire a HC who could recruit athletes and roll the ball out and just let them play? Hopefully not but right now it sure looks like it may be.
I've said it several times, nobody is beneath having a mentor, and DH really needs an experienced HC who has coached in the big conferences and wants to sit next to him on the bench to offer guidance as an assistant coach.
I'm all for allowing him to have a go at getting it done, he deserves it, but in 3 seasons nothing has shown me that DH has adequately prepared a unit for battle against the big boys. This has to be a priority as well as recruiting positional players with specific skill sets.
These things can be fixed and DH can be successful but he needs to change many things - some are easy fixes
Are you gonna listen when every time you say this people tell you he has Tom Moore for that role? My guess is you still won't

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here. Being in the Big East is a pretty big advantage in recruiting that coach Hurley has and coach Ollie did not have.
Not according to some people on here. I won't point out again who those posters are.

Reaction Score
While you're on your monthly defend KO by muther-ding DH why don't you take up a collection or start a go fund me page on Facebook to help finance KO 's lawsuit against UConn and try and help him get his old job back so he can complete the total destruction of our once proud program..... seriously

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom