Post game news conference Hurley and Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post game news conference Hurley and Whaley

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley. I just want to see a better version of Dan Hurley.
Ok so you are good with him as coach and continuing to bring in better talent as we climb back up the mountain from the depths we were in. Cool.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Make layups at even a remotely reasonable rate and they win.

Hurley can do a lot, but he cannot make a layup for them.
I agree if we make those early easy shots we force Maryland to play a different style and it opens up the floor for us.

Reaction Score
He doesn't know, just likes crapping on Hurley.
I don’t like crapping on Hurley. But I’m not going to laud the guy for serving up prime rib when it’s a crap sandwich. The results in big games speak for themselves. Please don’t tell me the team was successfully prepped and ready to play tonight. I have a lot more confidence in the kids’ abilities than you and I believe a coach’s job it to get the best out them. Shooting 45% from the free-throw line ought to be a clue the team wasn’t mentally prepared for the moment.

Reaction Score
Ok so you are good with him as coach and continuing to bring in better talent as we climb back up the mountain from the depths we were in. Cool.
Definitely. He’s going to get there, but he has work to do. He really needs an quality assistant coach that can game plan and help with in-game management.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don’t like crapping on Hurley. But I’m not going to laud the guy for serving up prime rib when it’s a crap sandwich. The results in big games speak for themselves. Please don’t tell me the team was successfully prepped and ready to play tonight. I have a lot more confidence in the kids’ abilities than you and I believe a coach’s job it to get the best out them. Shooting 45% from the free-throw line ought to be a clue the team wasn’t mentally prepared for the moment.
you have been screaming about how he can't win a big game for two years now. Failing at the free throw line can only be in the players, cmon.

Reaction Score
They got dominated by a team that dictated tempo and style of play. The advantages that UConn had going into this game were not even marginally exploited. Acting like it’s some sort of fluke that they lost because they missed a bunch of layups is wild.
Our advantage was that we could outrebound the ____ out of them.

We did that. We had a ton more possessions and shots, we couldn't make them.

The one time we forced it to Sanogo he traveled. He was also embarrassed on D. Sanogo wasn't the answer.

Reaction Score
Hurley can’t make the bunnies and free throws go in during the game but he dang sure is responsible for preparing them while practicing to make them and fixing those issues. Practicing hard isn’t necessarily practicing smart. I am not in practices, so I don’t know what they do, but missing bunnies has been our nightmare all year.

Reaction Score
Dan nosweetsixteen Hurley
This board is odd. Is it split 50/50 ollie/ Hurley still? Who was the other northeast recruiting head coach option for us? I’m not being a jerk. I was into musselman and Oates and no too into Hurley but realized the Tristate recruiting he could bring. Add in Kimani and the staff. Who was your choice if not Dan nosweetsixteen Hurley? FYI- he has until this contract to get there.

Reaction Score
This board is odd. Is it split 50/50 ollie/ Hurley still? Who was the other northeast recruiting head coach option for us? I’m not being a jerk. I was into musselman and Oates and no too into Hurley but realized the Tristate recruiting he could bring. Add in Kimani and the staff. Who was your choice if not Dan nosweetsixteen Hurley? FYI- he has until this contract to get there.
KO had to leave, physically, because he checked out mentally in mid 2015 or so.

I like a lot of Danny, but man is he stubborn. Sometimes you need to properly use who you have on your team, not force them to play your way. Next year they’ll be all his (I really don’t see any seniors returning), and we’ll see if he can recruit the right guys to play his way. Hope they can shoot.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting in Calhoun's recent interview he made a point in saying Hurley does not have a young team. He seemed to not like that being used as an excuse because UConn was not young and they had the best player on the court usually (BOuknight).

10 seconds in and Hurley credit's Maryland's experience lol.
We did not have the best player on the court tonight. Not close.

Reaction Score
you have been screaming about how he can't win a big game for two years now. Failing at the free throw line can only be in the players, cmon.
Yeah, that’s the reason we lost tonight

Reaction Score
Damn. Love that young man. Not sure if the NCAA required a player to take questions or not, but kudos for him for being the man to step up.

He’s the guy, with CV, who helped accelerate the culture Hurley was trying to build by a year or 2.

He’s going to have a great professional career (basketball or otherwise). So much skill on the court, maturity and a true leader.

But if he wanted to put his professional life on hold for a year and come back for one more journey.... him and Cole as our Captains, we may just sail to a 5th ‘ship.

More Pork Chops, please.
I love the enthusiasm but right now I'd gladly settle for winning a game or two in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Our advantage was that we could outrebound the ____ out of them.

We did that. We had a ton more possessions and shots, we couldn't make them.

The one time we forced it to Sanogo he traveled. He was also embarrassed on D. Sanogo wasn't the answer.

I can’t even tell if this is intentionally addressed to me. We got whooped by a mediocre team. That’s about the long and short of it as far as I can tell.

Reaction Score
I can’t even tell if this is intentionally addressed to me. We got whooped by a mediocre team. That’s about the long and short of it as far as I can tell.
We are a mediocre team too. No different from the likes of Maryland. We were a very good team when Bouknight played like a lottery pick. Better teams have already lost in this tournament like Virginia, Texas and Ohio State to much lesser opponents than Maryland

Reaction Score
Calhoun lost in the first round in 2012 with a team far more talented than our current team.

Fans quickly forget that the reason Championships are so very enjoyable is because they are so freaking difficult to achieve. We are on the right track with Hurley and we will be better next year.

Onward and upward and we'll even take the spoiled cry baby fans with us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean in hindsight it does look like Oats would've been the better option. We saw how great he was at Buffalo and now the guy is in his second year at Bama of all places and has them as a #2 seed positioned for a legitimate shot at winning it all this year. He can recruit with the best of them as well, has the #17 recruiting class coming in next season including the #1 PG. Still have full faith in Hurley though, and hope we can keep building towards getting back to the promised land.

Reaction Score
I can't believe he said the quiet part out loud.

He knew our defensive system didn't match up with them and he did... nothing. He just rolled the ball out. I'm just kinda speechless.

You had over a week and 6 days since the pairings. How about a zone? How about any changes at all outside of personnel?

Reaction Score
We are a mediocre team too. No different from the likes of Maryland. We were a very good team when Bouknight played like a lottery pick. Better teams have already lost in this tournament like Virginia, Texas and Ohio State to much lesser opponents than Maryland
This.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Calhoun lost in the first round in 2012 with a team far more talented than our current team.

Fans quickly forget that the reason Championships are so very enjoyable is because they are so freaking difficult to achieve. We are on the right track with Hurley and we will be better next year.

Onward and upward and we'll even take the spoiled cry baby fans with us.
1616302596714.png

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Hurley can't make the layups for them, but all season long we've known that Whaley and especially Martin don't have soft hands at the rim. Could Hurley have coached them on how to get more bunnies to drop by using more finesse? I don't think that's a ridiculous assumption.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Make lay ups and free throws at a remotely reasonable rate and we win comfortably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom