Possible portal targets | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
This is for me where things will get real interesting going forward. We desperately needed the portal last year. We found guys who were 1 yr plugs and proved invaluable. We should always use the portal, but how does this staff going forward balance developmental work with quick fixes. I don’t have a great answer, but I do like the approach of getting portals w/lots of eligibility left (see mich TE) over quick fixes, going forward.
Well, yeah, but the portal is a double edged sword. It facilitates outbound too. And until UConn FB is more visible and highly regarded, the development route will not pay the dividends we would like it to. As soon they they get coached up, they can leave for P5. I think UConn will be heavily portal reliant until that day comes.

Reaction Score
No knock on a kid but just plain dumb. We need to be pulling P5 QB talent off benches.
Miss St had a couple former 4*s hot the portal past 2 days. New talent hitting all the time.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can pick up some portal talent after spring games are played and some kids want more opportunity.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Charlton probably knows his potential and sees something.
I’m not sold on Charlton by any means, nor his judgment. The last couple of outings were utter clown shows on O. We’ll see what happens next year.

Reactions: THC

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree about QB and OC. I also think that a big RB is a glaring need.

But we just signed two TEs, one high school, one portal. And we have very good depth returning at WR. Cam Ross looked terrific in South Carolina. Aaron Turner and Keelan Marion return and I think the staff still has high hopes for Dajon Harrison.

Mitchell returning helps the LB core quit a bit. There are lots of answers at DB.

Ultimately, we need either an upgrade from the outside at QB or for one of the roster QBs to make a HUGE jump.

Harrison is a disaster. He either needs to get quadruple better or not see the field. He couldn't block on WR screens, drops passes and couldn't function as a PR.

Reaction Score
UCLA also got the Kent State QB.

The gap between the haves and have nots will
Just grow with this unlimited free agency. Need some structure around this

You just described the structure. Yes, the freedom, overall, benefits players, but the only reason the players were granted the freedom was because the larger schools with the leverage realized this system would be in their interest.

This is exactly how I see it. Throw NIL money into the equation and it's hard to see how talent doesn't get concentrated with premier programs that can offer dollars. Sad.......

Reaction Score
I’m more optimistic. I think our approach to portal is really good right now. Find top FCS kids and young kids who were highly rated and are now buried on a P5 roster. Develop them here and build depth over time. Will we continue to develop a Nate Carter to see him leave, but I think net net, the portal will help us. It’ll kill a Maryland, who may never get to a playoff as there best players head to the bamas of this world, but I’m seeing more good than bad from it thus far ( of course, I will do a 180 when our top players leave for P5).

Reaction Score
I’m more optimistic. I think our approach to portal is really good right now. Find top FCS kids and young kids who were highly rated and are now buried on a P5 roster. Develop them here and build depth over time. Will we continue to develop a Nate Carter to see him leave, but I think net net, the portal will help us. It’ll kill a Maryland, who may never get to a playoff as there best players head to the bamas of this world, but I’m seeing more good than bad from it thus far ( of course, I will do a 180 when our top players leave for P5).
I agree. I think the Fagnano kid would be a good add. Has proven productivity and is a healthy body that can compete. Everyone thinking P5 guys are going to flock here in large numbers...why do you think that? And don't say "Mora". There are a ton of coaches with good track records getting kids to the next level.

Reaction Score
Harrison is a disaster. He either needs to get quadruple better or not see the field. He couldn't block on WR screens, drops passes and couldn't function as a PR.
The staff seems to believe in him. They designed plays for him. They see him every day. So who knows?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The staff seems to believe in him. They designed plays for him. They see him every day. So who knows?
He was a somewhat high profile recruit back in HS. I think they will continue to invest in him and try to unlock his potential in 2023. We shall see.

Reaction Score
He's very fast. Needs to catch the ball. His instincts on returns were not the best when given the chance. Speed like that, you hope it all comes together for the kid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still think the portal is a positive for those on the lower rungs. The big guys can't stockpile talent the way they used to. And titans already had pretty much all the best guys already. So they add a couple more.

Reaction Score
I still think the portal is a positive for those on the lower rungs. The big guys can't stockpile talent the way they used to. And titans already had pretty much all the best guys already. So they add a couple more.
Agreed. There are always going to be guys like Bembry and Bouyer-Randle looking for playing time. If you hit at a 50 percent clip on successes on the field, like Bouyer-Randle, you are crushing it. I don't think we are getting any all conference types out of the P5 to come here, though I would love to be wrong with a local kid like Bothroyd.

Reaction Score
I think our targets need to be the P5 highly rated guys who didn’t break into significant pt early. The Penn State qb is a good example though it is tough to evaluate him after an injury that early. He was good enough to be the backup as a freshman but likely got recruited over. One difference between UConn and say Penn State is we are going to spend time developing guys because we need to develop guys They don’t do they won’t. So we can take a shot on a kid with an upside who didn’t have the polish to step into a high P5 2-deep by his redshirt freshman year.

Reaction Score
That would be ideal, but I didn’t see any that fit that description on QB’s available. Do you have anyone in mind freescooter or are you hoping someone will make themselves available? I am more worried however about the lines than QB, but if someone came in to the portal that could help us than we need to make an offer.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just seeing that almost every coach is following this kid...and so is Jake Guidone. Expect the offer is coming. Hope the offer is coming.
Him and Guidone played at Dartmouth I think. I thought he was a tackle though.

Reaction Score
Looks like UVA moved him inside. Has he snapped?

2021: Second Team All-Ivy League selection … started all 10 games at left tackle … Dartmouth ranked No. 1 in the Ivy League and No. 21 in FCS with 193.7 rushing yards per game … Dartmouth went 9-1 on the season, captured the 20th Ivy League title in program history and ranked 23rd in the final FCS Coaches Poll.

Reaction Score

Our next center?
His Twitter shows lots of offers...but no offer from UConn. Do you know something Twitter doesn't know?
Just seeing that almost every coach is following this kid...and so is Jake Guidone. Expect the offer is coming. Hope the offer is coming.

Anything is possible and one positive is that On3 doesn’t have him 100% to UConn ;) but UConn offered Flores coming out of Dartmouth as a grad transfer last December before he chose UVA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom