OT: - Possible ownership change in WNBA | The Boneyard

OT: Possible ownership change in WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
"LeBron James might be in the market for his own WNBA team

The Los Angeles Lakers star tweeted early Wednesday morning that he was interested in putting together an ownership group to purchase the Atlanta Dream from Republican senator and co-owner of the team Kelly Loeffler shortly after she was projected to lose her seat to Democrat Raphael Warnock in the Georgia Senate runoff on Tuesday."

Source: LeBron James suggests buying WNBA team from Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler after projected loss | Fox News

Please keep any discussion to WNBA and related basketball matters.

Reaction Score
If the interest is there and for the right reason, I do not see why a team of buyers can't be put together to purchase the Atlanta Dream. Big picture, you want owners that love the WNBA, the Atlanta Dream and the Atlanta area, willing to invest in the area and the team, and develop a solid franchise. I love seeing what the Seattle Storm ownership team of Force 10 have done with the Storm and their investment in the team and the community of Seattle.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Speak for yourself.
I assure you that you're neither omniscient nor typical as to others' interests.
Then why are you here?
Well said. It never ceases to amaze me how some people (in fairness just a few) pipe in on threads they don't like with "who cares", or some other comment. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you see a thread title you have no interest in, just skip it. Or better yet, click the "ignore thread" button and it will never show up on your feed again.

At any rate, good for Lebron. The more that the NBA can be involved (from a $$ perspective) with the WNBA, the better for the league IMHO. Early on, the WNBA had sister teams to all the NBA teams in each market (Timberwolves - Lynx, Sun - Mercury, etc). But as teams sadly failed and moved, they lost their links to the NBA.

I realize the WNBA will never be as lucrative - there just isn't the $ in it and players will never be paid anything remotely close to what even lower level NBA players make, but it's nice to see the support to hopefully continue to build the league.

Reaction Score
Bad deal, the WNBA has lost money every year it has been in existence. 2019 data indicated a net league loss of about 10 million per year. Now, with higher salaries, expect greater loses. I would gladly sell it to LaBron, he can afford the losses, and pay the women substantially more. Let him "walk the walk"!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
So LJ wants to buy out the ONLY team that is all female owned. I think that is a step backwards not forward.
The quote in the opening post spoke of "an ownership group". Who's to say it wouldn't be a majority female group? Regardless, the all-female team members would be delighted to see at least one prominent owner sever her affiliation with the team.

As to the ....ahemmm,... person who falsely stated "No one cares," that is a self-evident crock. Every other person posting in this thread cares enough to offer their opinion.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So LJ wants to buy out the ONLY team that is all female owned. I think that is a step backwards not forward.
Maybe the leadership group will be led by his wife so the Dream gain a Female minority owner: win-win situation! ;)

Reaction Score
Bad deal, the WNBA has lost money every year it has been in existence. 2019 data indicated a net league loss of about 10 million per year. Now, with higher salaries, expect greater loses. I would gladly sell it to LaBron, he can afford the losses, and pay the women substantially more. Let him "walk the walk"!

Why would you say let him "walk the walk"? LeBron is a decent person. Not a fan, since I'm a Knicks fan, but he's willing to help the WNBA by purchasing the Atlanta Dream.

Reaction Score
I actually do.
What does that mean? All Duke fans don't think the same thing. I think the Bluedevil comment was resoundingly rebuked here. Rather politely too if I do say. I've called for Geno pressing before and gotten a far worse treatment by the BY.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What does that mean? All Duke fans don't think the same thing. I think the Bluedevil comment was resoundingly rebuked here. Rather politely too if I do say. I've called for Geno pressing before and gotten a far worse treatment by the BY.

I actually care about the WNBA and the possibility of a new part owner of the Dream to replace Loeffler. Wish we still had a franchise in Charlotte.... but Atlanta is the nearest team... and would consider driving down there for a game.

Reaction Score
LeBron would be a great co-owner. His wife Savannah and Gabrielle Union among others would be great female owners! BTW, whoever says they don’t care, I don’t believe that for a moment. Bluedevil what’s your agenda? Not happy with life? Ummmmmm....try posting positive for a change or just don’t post. I think that is a really good New Years Resolution, don’t you?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
LeBron would be a great co-owner. His wife Savannah and Gabrielle Union among others would be great female owners! BTW, whoever says they don’t care, I don’t believe that for a moment. Bluedevil what’s your agenda? Not happy with life? Ummmmmm....try posting positive for a change or just don’t post. I think that is a really good New Years Resolution, don’t you?
I agree, LeBron can help create interest. and don't post if you don't care.

Reaction Score
LeBron can work with Stephen Curry and other people who are interested to buy Atlanta Dream and makes it a great WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Just for reference, LeBron’s 2020 NBA salary ($39 million, and not the largest part of his income) is more than double the combined salary caps of all 12 WNBA teams ($16 million). He probably spends more per year on clothes than the Dream’s annual losses.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok so basically according to Lebron and some people... Kelly Leoffler is evil.

well its more than some people

Lemme quit now... my 10th anniversary of being on the BY is coming up later this year... and I aint trying to get banned before then :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NO POLITICS
How many times do I have to say it? People who insist on posting political screeds - left, right, or center - are getting a time out. Permanent bans are next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom