Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Reaction Score
I’d take Marta at UVA in a minute. Great school... and really needs a point guard. Hurt with some key injuries this year, but almost everybody comes back next year. Barring injuries next year, they should be an NCAA tournament team and in the top 1/2 of the ACC.
"they should be an NCAA tournament team and in the top 1/2 of the ACC".....Remember those words next year - believe you are right, and it'll be Coach Thompson's time to prove she's head coach material. This year, outside of a couple of good, late season wins (Ga Tech, BC), we didn't see much. So, let's hope next year's a turn around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
“Luck is the combination of hard work and opportunity” — Vince Lombardi

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey
1553431103796.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Holly stays I bet we see 1-2 LVs leave. Any of Westbrook, Collins, Davis or Green would be a terrific addition to UCONN's returning roster. Especially if they were granted immediate eligibility ala Jess Shepard.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If Holly stays I bet we see 1-2 LVs leave. Any of Westbrook, Collins, Davis or Green would be a terrific addition to UCONN's returning roster. Especially if they were granted immediate eligibility ala Jess Shepard.

A player could be from Storrs and coming home to help raise her twelve younger siblings because her parents died in a horrific accident, and the NCAA wouldn’t grant her a hardship waiver one-time transfer exception to play at UConn.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A player could be from Storrs and coming home to help raise her twelve younger siblings because her parents died in a horrific accident, and the NCAA wouldn’t grant her a hardship waiver to play at UConn.

I'd say that's a bit extreme....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Word is from a sports talk show in TN that Fulmer will make an announcement today?

Reaction Score

None of them good for UConn. Only ND gets special treatment for immediate eligibility for a player who made public statements that they left b/c they wanted to win and not go thru a rebuild, etc,,,, Reasoning in public statements in no way, shape or form meet criteria of hardship eligibiity. They clearly concocted some BS or most likely they NCAA just changed the rules for 1 school. They did that allowing ND have a player go on a tv show & get paid. The biggest BS nonsense from NCAA, worse than Cam Newton statements, "Ogunbowale can receive prize money from the show. As the prize money would be for her dancing achievements, because they are unrelated to her NCAA "basketball abilities." LOL! Got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if this is unrelated to basketball activites, she's on the show b/c of bball. Every NCAA student athlete should have filed a class action lawsuit based on this nonsense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
biggest BS nonsense from NCAA, worse than Cam Newton statements, "Ogunbowale can receive prize money from the show. As the prize mowould be for her dancing achievements, because they are unrelated to her NCAA "basketball abilities." LOL! Got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if this unrelated to basketball activites, she's on the show b/c of bball. Ever NCAA student athlete should have filed a class action lawsuit based on this nonsense.
didn’t know NCAA allowed she to keep that money! ND must be special, that will certainly attract top high school athletes to attend ND

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A player could be from Storrs and coming home to help raise her twelve younger siblings because her parents died in a horrific accident, and the NCAA wouldn’t grant her a hardship waiver to play at UConn.

None of them good for UConn. Only ND gets special treatment for immediate eligibility for a player who made public statements that they left b/c they wanted to win and not go thru a rebuild, etc,,,, Reasoning in public statements in no way, shape or form meet criteria of hardship eligibiity. They clearly concocted some BS or most likely they NCAA just changed the rules for 1 school. They did that allowing ND have a player go on a tv show & get paid. The biggest BS nonsense from NCAA, worse than Cam Newton statements, "Ogunbowale can receive prize money from the show. As the prize money would be for her dancing achievements, because they are unrelated to her NCAA "basketball abilities." LOL! Got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if this unrelated to basketball activites, she's on the show b/c of bball. Ever NCAA student athlete should have filed a class action lawsuit based on this nonsense.

Everyone needs to get caught up on the lingo and the new criteria rule changes (post Jessica Shepard and pre AEH)) for immediately eligibility from the NCAA meeting April of 2018.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/April2018DICouncil_Report_20180427.pdf

Specifically: Immediate eligibility maybe granted if the he transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.

A coaching change is definitely beyond the circumstance of the student athlete.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to get caught up on the lingo and the new criteria rule changes (post Jessica Shepard and pre AEH)) for immediately eligibility from the NCAA meeting April of 2018.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/April2018DICouncil_Report_20180427.pdf

Specifically: Immediate eligibility maybe granted if the he transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.

A coaching change is definitely beyond the circumstance of the student athlete.

Here is the phrasing in that document that I think is the problem:

"Specifically, immediate eligibility may be provided to a transfer student-athlete..."

I'll go back and edit my post to reflect current terminology, but as long as "may" is part of the clause, no one may transfer to UConn without sitting out a year. However, I'll be more than happy to eat crow if a center or strong post player magically shows up on our doorstep next year and is granted one of these magical passes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is the phrasing in that document that I think is the problem:

"Specifically, immediate eligibility may be provided to a transfer student-athlete..."

I'll go back and edit my post to reflect current terminology, but as long as "may" is part of the clause, no one may transfer to UConn without sitting out a year. However, I'll be more than happy to eat crow if a center or strong post player magically shows up on our doorstep next year and is granted one of these magical passes.
I think you are focused on the wrong phrase there. Focus on this part: "impact the health" and process it this way:
THEY fired my coach.
I AM DEPRESSED.
NCAA YOU NEED TO LET ME PLAY NOW
. :eek:

Reaction Score
There was word about Rennia Davis potentially graduating two years early since she graduated high school with an Associates Degree. Not sure if that rumor is true or not.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think you are focused on the wrong phrase there. Focus on this part: "impact the health" and process it this way:
THEY fired my coach.
I AM DEPRESSED.
NCAA YOU NEED TO LET ME PLAY NOW
. :eek:

So they may let you transfer — and they may not. It could be that they fired my coach, it could be that my coach all but fired me (not naming names... :rolleyes:), but you’re right — if you’re sad, apply for a waiver, and if you’re going to the right team, you’re good to go. Until they lay out a concrete, black and white plan, one-time transfer exceptions will always be a joke.

Reaction Score

A coaching change is definitely beyond the circumstance of the student athlete.[/QUOTE]

Haha - not if Evina Westbrook and her mother have anything to say about it!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So they may let you transfer — and they may not. It could be that they fired my coach, it could be that my coach all but fired me (not naming names... :rolleyes:), but you’re right — if you’re sad, apply for a waiver, and if you’re going to the right team, you’re good to go. Until they lay out a concrete, black and white plan, one-time transfer exceptions will always be a joke.

Having reread this I'm not sure we are on the same page or getting closer.

No school (TN in this case) has the power to stop a student athlete from transferring. To transfer all a student has to do is put their name in the transfer portal and they become free to contact other schools and other schools are free to contact them until a match is made.

Graduate Transfer-those that have completed BS degree requirements are free to contact other schools once they have diploma in hand or can contact prior to receiving a diploma with the permission from the current school. Eg. Natalie Butler

Immediate eligibility is a separate matter over which the departing school has "input" and ultimately decided by the NCAA. If the departing school support the application for immediate eligibility it increase the chances of the waiver being approve. Eg., difference between Jessica Shepard and T'ea Cooper

Release from a signed NLI is yet another separate matter because the student has not enrolled in school yet therefore is not a transfer. Release from a signed NLI is required prior to contacting any other school and the NLI is enforceable for 1 year after signing. Eg., EDD back in the day and Kate Cain (Delaware) from a years ago.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dozens
Shepperd got special treament solely b/c it was ND. There is no denying it, did not meet the criteria and the articles of her public quotes are easily found.
I'm sure there are those theories exists somewhere on the dark web. Jessica has never been quoted as saying anything other than her reason for applying for the waiver are personal and will remain so. ND applied for the waiver and they got it-good for them.

Reaction Score
I would think the last coach the powers that be in the NCAA want to tick off is Geno.................he has more access to the national press then any other coach in WBB and I don't think the NCAA is looking for any more bad press these days...........

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Having reread this I'm not sure we are on the same page or getting closer.

No school (TN in this case) has the power to stop a student athlete from transferring. To transfer all a student has to do is put their name in the transfer portal and they become free to contact other schools and other schools are free to contact them until a match is made.

Graduate Transfer-those that have completed BS degree requirements are free to contact other schools once they have diploma in hand or can contact prior to receiving a diploma with the permission from the current school. Eg. Natalie Butler

Immediate eligibility is a separate matter over which the departing school has "input" and ultimately decided by the NCAA. If the departing school support the application for immediate eligibility it increase the chances of the waiver being approve. Eg., difference between Jessica Shepard and T'ea Cooper

Release from a signed NLI is yet another separate matter because the student has not enrolled in school yet therefore is not a transfer. Release from a signed NLI is required prior to contacting any other school and the NLI is enforceable for 1 year after signing. Eg., EDD back in the day and Kate Cain (Delaware) from a years ago.

I understand all of that and am not quite sure where it may have seemed like I didn’t. My frustration is with the process of the one-time transfer exception (using the terminology from the NCAA document). For that option, it’s 100% based on whims.

If you graduate, go wherever you want. Congratulations.

If you want to transfer because you’re just over that program, you’re free to do that, too, but everyone should sit a year or every should play immediately. It shouldn’t be about finding a warm and fuzzy excuse to pull at the heartstrings of officials.

If your coach gets canned, unless that’s the only reason you chose that university, I think it’s a cop out to leave your teammates, but sometimes I get it. But, again, too gray. Either say that a program getting a new coach will or won’t allow players to transfer without sitting.

Make concrete rules and stick to them or throw the rules out.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are those theories exists somewhere on the dark web. Jessica has never been quoted as saying anything other than her reason for applying for the waiver are personal and will remain so. ND applied for the waiver and they got it-good for them.

Look up her reason, she stated them a bunch of times in interviews and they are all the same...no issues with Nerbraska just she wanted to go somewhere to win & develop for WNBA. Not criteria at all for immediate eligibility.

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

Said Shepard: “Coach Williams and the whole staff have been very supportive of me, and I thank them for giving me some time after the season to make my decision. I also want to thank the University of Nebraska and all of my teammates for the support they have given me the past two years, but I feel like I have to do what I think is best for me and my future at this time.”

I want to play for championships. And I want to get pushed every day in practice to get the development I need to get to the next level (WNBA).”

"I really enjoyed my time there, but they were going in a different direction by rebuilding and I wanted a bigger challenge," Shepard said over the summer when she was at the Under-23 USA Basketball camp. "I wanted a chance to compete for championships and thought I had that at Notre Dame."

I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships,” Shepard said

“I think the biggest reason why Notre Dame was the right choice is the coaching staff and the players,” Shepard told the Tribune in a phone interview Thursday night. “Their staff’s ability to develop players, to get them ready for the next level and compete at this level, it’s not really comparable to any other coaching staff.

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

“Ultimately what it came down to, at the end of the day what I want to accomplish in college and the opportunities I wanted to have after college I didn’t feel I was on the right track,” she said.

“One of my friends said, ‘Sometimes you have to do what’s scary to grow.’ When she said that, I thought, ‘Yeah I need to do what’s scary rather than what I’m comfortable with.’

“The scary part wasn’t Notre Dame. The scary part was deciding if I was leaving Nebraska or not. Obviously, I grew up here. I have family here, friends here. I’m comfortable. Sometimes you have to venture out a little bit to see what’s out there.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look up her reason, she stated them a bunch of times in interviews and they are all the same...no issues with Nerbraska just she wanted to go somewhere to win & develop for WNBA. Not criteria at all for immediate eligibility.

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

Said Shepard: “Coach Williams and the whole staff have been very supportive of me, and I thank them for giving me some time after the season to make my decision. I also want to thank the University of Nebraska and all of my teammates for the support they have given me the past two years, but I feel like I have to do what I think is best for me and my future at this time.”

I want to play for championships. And I want to get pushed every day in practice to get the development I need to get to the next level (WNBA).”

"I really enjoyed my time there, but they were going in a different direction by rebuilding and I wanted a bigger challenge," Shepard said over the summer when she was at the Under-23 USA Basketball camp. "I wanted a chance to compete for championships and thought I had that at Notre Dame."

I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships,” Shepard said

“I think the biggest reason why Notre Dame was the right choice is the coaching staff and the players,” Shepard told the Tribune in a phone interview Thursday night. “Their staff’s ability to develop players, to get them ready for the next level and compete at this level, it’s not really comparable to any other coaching staff.

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

“Ultimately what it came down to, at the end of the day what I want to accomplish in college and the opportunities I wanted to have after college I didn’t feel I was on the right track,” she said.

“One of my friends said, ‘Sometimes you have to do what’s scary to grow.’ When she said that, I thought, ‘Yeah I need to do what’s scary rather than what I’m comfortable with.’

“The scary part wasn’t Notre Dame. The scary part was deciding if I was leaving Nebraska or not. Obviously, I grew up here. I have family here, friends here. I’m comfortable. Sometimes you have to venture out a little bit to see what’s out there.”

Great synopsis of why she left Nebraska and why she chose ND!
Has NOTHING to do with why she applied for a waiver request or why it was approved. !
YOU GET AN INCOMPLETE! Nice try though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom