Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford women finishing regular season without senior guards Sniezek, Romano

Potentially Marta Sniezek to grad transfer? This article suggest Haley Jones will be the Stanford PG.

Haley Jones will most certainly be in the starting lineup next season. Don't know if she'll be the primary ball handler (Tara's got more than a few current options and more coming in...), but that's one less slot left on the floor for some Cardinal players.

I could see Sniezek graduating and possibly playing one year a little closer to her McLean, Va., home for a team that could use a PG for a season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Haley Jones will most certainly be in the starting lineup next season. Don't know if she'll be the primary ball handler (Tara's got more than a few current options and more coming in...), but that's one less slot left on the floor for some Cardinal players.

I could see Sniezek graduating and possibly playing one year a little closer to her McLean, Va., home for a team that could use a PG for a season.
When she was recruited by Stanford her other offers/options were Harvard, Princeton and Georgetown. I don't see her grad transferring to State U just to play. Unless someplace like Georgetown or George Washington could use a PG next season (and I don't follow either team well enough to know), I don't see her going someplace random for a random grad degree. She seems too motivated.

Also, per Tara's recent interview for the PAC-12 network podcast, and my own suspicions, I suspect she'll pursue coaching. She has tremendous basketball IQ and drive that is hampered by somewhat average athletic ability and her small size. But those downsides are irrelevant as a coach, and she's been a great captain and team leader on our team, so I think she'd make an excellent coach, if not soon, then one day down the road.

And yeah, I could see Jones sharing the point duties by mid-season, but Tara generally doesn't entrust even the best frosh with running the point from day one, especially given the complexities of her Princeton-predominant offense. I see her being used the way Lacie Hull is - she can share point duties for some sets but isn't the default ball handler. Between Williams (a natural 2 but a darned good 1), Wilson, and Jenna Brown (the most natural 1 of our returning players), there's little need to rely on Jones to run the point.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
When she was recruited by Stanford her other offers/options were Harvard, Princeton and Georgetown. I don't see her grad transferring to State U just to play. Unless someplace like Georgetown or George Washington could use a PG next season (and I don't follow either team well enough to know), I don't see her going someplace random for a random grad degree. She seems too motivated.

Also, per Tara's recent interview for the PAC-12 network podcast, and my own suspicions, I suspect she'll pursue coaching. She has tremendous basketball IQ and drive that is hampered by somewhat average athletic ability and her small size. But those downsides are irrelevant as a coach, and she's been a great captain and team leader on our team, so I think she'd make an excellent coach, if not soon, then one day down the road.

And yeah, I could see Jones sharing the point duties by mid-season, but Tara generally doesn't entrust even the best frosh with running the point from day one, especially given the complexities of her Princeton-predominant offense. I see her being used the way Lacie Hull is - she can share point duties for some sets but isn't the default ball handler. Between Williams (a natural 2 but a darned good 1), Wilson, and Jenna Brown (the most natural 1 of our returning players), there's little need to rely on Jones to run the point.
I thought that Tara didn't have room for Marta next semester. Is there a scholarship available?

And I never thought of Jones as a PG. But then again, Jackie Young brings up the ball often for Notre Dame, especially against the press, and Jones is a special talent.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I thought that Tara didn't have room for Marta next semester. Is there a scholarship available?

And I never thought of Jones as a PG. But then again, Jackie Young brings up the ball often for Notre Dame, especially against the press, and Jones is a special talent.
You’re correct - we’re full for next year, which is why folks are speculating she will grad transfer. My view is I doubt she will do so just to play another season, unless it’s at a “good school” for a “good” program, where the degree would be independently useful to her.

Reaction Score

what's going on with Jenna Brown? I thought she was quite a good point guard/leader in high school..........

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
what's going on with Jenna Brown? I thought she was quite a good point guard/leader in high school.....
Good question - most Cardinal fans aren't sure either. She's had some flashes of brilliance on court, and she drives to the basket about as well as anyone on our team, but she sometimes seems a little lost on court, and she's shown a surprising reticence to shoot from outside the paint. TBH, her skillset so far has very much resembled Sniezek's - great ball distributor and ability to take it inside, but almost total refusal to take outside shots, which then lets defenses sag off and close down the lanes that neutralize much of said driving ability. I'm hopeful she will develop more confidence with her jumpshot, because I think that's what's holding her back from being on the court more.

This is the first season in 3-4 years where we've had offensive threats at the 1-5 (Williams, Carrington, Hull x2, Smith, Dodson/Fingall), and it's done wonders for our offense. Kaylee Johnson, our 5 for the past few seasons, and Sniezek, our 1, made important contributions in their own ways, but neither could generate reliable offense on their own, and it made it too easy for the defense to collapse or double-team our few offensive threats. It's part of why I think Smith has soared this season - other teams can't afford to constantly double-team her and leave a Hull or Carrington open. For this reason alone, I'll remain in wait-and-see mode with Brown until she demonstrates a propensity for taking (and making) shots from the elbow and behind the arc.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Good question - most Cardinal fans aren't sure either. She's had some flashes of brilliance on court, and she drives to the basket about as well as anyone on our team, but she sometimes seems a little lost on court, and she's shown a surprising reticence to shoot from outside the paint. TBH, her skillset so far has very much resembled Sniezek's - great ball distributor and ability to take it inside, but almost total refusal to take outside shots, which then lets defenses sag off and close down the lanes that neutralize much of said driving ability. I'm hopeful she will develop more confidence with her jumpshot, because I think that's what's holding her back from being on the court more.

This is the first season in 3-4 years where we've had offensive threats at the 1-5 (Williams, Carrington, Hull x2, Smith, Dodson/Fingall), and it's done wonders for our offense. Kaylee Johnson, our 5 for the past few seasons, and Sniezek, our 1, made important contributions in their own ways, but neither could generate reliable offense on their own, and it made it too easy for the defense to collapse or double-team our few offensive threats. It's part of why I think Smith has soared this season - other teams can't afford to constantly double-team her and leave a Hull or Carrington open. For this reason alone, I'll remain in wait-and-see mode with Brown until she demonstrates a propensity for taking (and making) shots from the elbow and behind the arc.

Interesting to follow how Jenna Brown and Jordan Nixon have not really gotten into full gear this season. As an Irish fan, I keep an eye on Brown because, of course, she initially committed to ND (somewhat out of nowhere), then de-committed and very shortly committed to Stanford. ND then went great guns to find another PG and focused on Jordan Nixon. Both made McDonald's All-American. However, both seem to have gotten into a situation where there are a lot of options ahead of them.

You've described Brown. Nixon actually was starting this year while Mabrey was nursing a quad injury. She was finding her way, which is daunting considering you're walking into a a lineup with Ogunbowale and Young. Then she suffered a concussion, just as Mabrey came back.
Didn't quite seem like the same player and confidence was in question. Was splitting guard-spelling time with her roommate, Abby Prohaska, then pulled/strained a hamstring. Hasn't been on court since.

Hope she hangs in there because next year, to say the least, will offer tons of possibilities for virtually all Irish subs, particularly if Young goes pro.

But I'll be linking point guards Nixon and Brown for their collegiate careers. Stay tuned.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting to follow how Jenna Brown and Jordan Nixon have not really gotten into full gear this season. As an Irish fan, I keep an eye on Brown because, of course, she initially committed to ND (somewhat out of nowhere), then de-committed and very shortly committed to Stanford. ND then went great guns to find another PG and focused on Jordan Nixon. Both made McDonald's All-American. However, both seem to have gotten into a situation where there are a lot of options ahead of them.

You've described Brown. Nixon actually was starting this year while Mabrey was nursing a quad injury. She was finding her way, which is daunting considering you're walking into a a lineup with Ogunbowale and Young. Then she suffered a concussion, just as Mabrey came back.
Didn't quite seem like the same player and confidence was in question. Was splitting guard-spelling time with her roommate, Abby Prohaska, then pulled/strained a hamstring. Hasn't been on court since.

Hope she hangs in there because next year, to say the least, will offer tons of possibilities for virtually all Irish subs, particularly if Young goes pro.

But I'll be linking point guards Nixon and Brown for their collegiate careers. Stay tuned.
It's interesting that you point out the link between Brown and Nixon, but there is another highly ranked PG that is linked as well. Notre Dame was actively recruiting both Destanni Henderson and Jenna Brown and a day or so after Brown committed to the Irish, Henderson then committed to the Gamecocks. I'm not sure if (1) Destanni had told Muffet she was not interested, (2) Muffet chose the first one to commit, or (3) Destanni committed to South Carolina after Notre Dame made their choice. What we DO know is that once Brown reneged, Muffet was left scrambling.

Reaction Score

I’d take Marta at UVA in a minute. Great school... and really needs a point guard. Hurt with some key injuries this year, but almost everybody comes back next year. Barring injuries next year, they should be an NCAA tournament team and in the top 1/2 of the ACC.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's interesting that you point out the link between Brown and Nixon, but there is another highly ranked PG that is linked as well. Notre Dame was actively recruiting both Destanni Henderson and Jenna Brown and a day or so after Brown committed to the Irish, Henderson then committed to the Gamecocks. I'm not sure if (1) Destanni had told Muffet she was not interested, (2) Muffet chose the first one to commit, or (3) Destanni committed to South Carolina after Notre Dame made their choice. What we DO know is that once Brown reneged, Muffet was left scrambling.

Thanks for that....and to keep it going: As you, me and denizens of McGraw's Bench will attest, the name Dara Mabrey was always lurking in and around the proceedings that year. All this watching/following/analyzing keeps me (us?) looking at many box scores throughout the school year. ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Haley can play all the positions, but I don't see her starting over Williams, nor do I see her playing primarily PG.
She's a wing, and that's where she'll have most of her success in WCBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
6'2 post player but she is a tremendous rebounder and is very mobile. She has a nice outside game but LSU doesn't utilize it much. Her free throw shooting is probably her biggest problem.
well that and choosing to play for Nikki :rolleyes:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Mariela Fassoula, from Athens. Formerly of Boston College. Very familiar with her from her BC (and, hence, ACC) days when she was (by far) the best player on that BC team.

I don't know if she'd want to go to (yet) another school, but if she does: be forewarned, MM needs and wants another post for the Irish. MM has said she'll look at grad transfers. Fasoula would work very well in the modified Princeton offense. ;)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mariela Fassoula, from Athens. Formerly of Boston College. Very familiar with her from her BC days when she was (by far) the best player on that BC team.

I don't know if she'd want to go to (yet) another school, but if she does: be forewarned, MM needs and wants another post and has said she'll look at grad transfers. Fasoula would work very well in the modified Princeton offense. ;)
If MM is making that statement publicly, what kind of message does that send to Cosgrove, Vaughn, Patterson, and the young lady from VA?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If MM is making that statement publicly, what kind of message does that send to Cosgrove, Vaughn, Patterson, and the young lady from VA?

She made it following the same exact turndown that UConn got from one Ms. Boston. (UConn wasn't the only team that perhaps had too many eggs in one center.).

Note I said post. Vaughn is a post. Patterson and Brunelle are forwards. Cosgrove is a work in progress...a post defensively who shoots 3s!

BTW, MM was in the stands last night watching Brunelle. That sends a great message :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well done!
Retorical Question.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She made it following the same exact turndown that UConn got from one Ms. Boston. (UConn wasn't the only team that perhaps had too many eggs in one center.).

Note I said post. Vaughn is a post. Patterson and Brunelle are forwards. Cosgrove is a work in progress...a post defensively who shoots 3s!

BTW, MM was in the stands last night watching Brunelle. That sends a great message :D
I don’t necessarily distinguish between post and forward. If ND brings in a graduate transfer capable of starting as a post/forward, that’s 30 mpg that one or more of ND’s returning & committed post/forwards won’t be on the floor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t necessarily distinguish between post and forward. If ND brings in a graduate transfer capable of starting as a post/forward, that’s 30 mpg that one or more of ND’s returning & committed post/forwards won’t be on the floor.
ND is still in "slightly" better shape on the front line than UCONN will be next year. Cosgrove, Vaughn, Patterson & Brunelle vs. Walker, Camara, ONO, Irwin. I don't know what Mariela Fassoula intentions are but UCONN would seem to be the better option if she desires minutes.

Reaction Score
Sharpshooter Destinee Walker from UNC is also eligible. ND flirted with her when she was a HS senior (ranked 17th by Olson/Hoopgurlz), but she has only shot 30% from 3pt range in college: LINK.
Destinee Walker will in fact be grad transferring.

Reaction Score
Suspect she'll be returning to a Florida school. Home is Orlando. UCF?
I could see UCF. She seems to kinda be past her prime. Had a good freshman season but darn injuries have really held her back. I really hope she makes a strong return. UCF would be nice. Stay home in Orlando and make the AAC a little more competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom