Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No worries. I saw Sam F. play a few times while she was in high school in NJ. It took awhile for her to see airtime on the court at Louisville, but she's improved year to year. And I think you have a point that she could've benefited from one more year of virtual full-time playing to help make a leap into the pros. If that's her goal, perhaps she can start by playing in some of the lesser leagues to get experience and make her way towards the more prominent international leagues and eventually a shot..

Kat Westbeld, a somewhat similar player, did a stint in Puerto Rico which resulted in her getting a contract in Spain. Maybe it progresses, maybe not. But they're trying to pursue their dream. Bravo.
Kat is my all-time favorite ND player. Frankly, I can't help wondering whether her "glue player" qualities are missed by this year's team. I do indeed hope she finds some success overseas.

Reaction Score
Kat is my all-time favorite ND player. Frankly, I can't help wondering whether her "glue player" qualities are missed by this year's team. I do indeed hope she finds some success overseas.
My favorite ND players are 3: Riley, Mallory, Madison Cable each is tough and strong willed.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the Batouly thread but here may be another place....

Geno is one loyal dude. Has been for his 34 years at Uconn --Loyal to his Uconn kids and those disabled from other programs he brought to Uconn. Both Camara and Hunter were recruited by him, chose other programs, but when injured seriously he brought them HOME.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yes. A lot.
(And a lot of folks on McGraw's Bench are in violent agreement.)
Kat also had many subtle leaderships qualities that helped maintain and propel that team.

One thing can be certain about her professional quest: she'll give it her all.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I posted this in the Batouly thread but here may be another place....

I really didn't see where she had a choice. I love Touly, but in her stay at Storrs she just hasn't shown enough to interest scouts from either the Association or overseas. She just needs to show them more.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really didn't see where she had a choice. I love Touly, but in her stay at Storrs she just hasn't shown enough to interest scouts from either the Association or overseas. She just needs to show them more.

Touly is a very bright young woman who has a great future which might not necessarily involve basketball. Life is what she could have been moving with. I 'm glad she has decided to stay but being a main cog for the team next year is not likely.

Reaction Score
Touly is a very bright young woman who has a great future which might not necessarily involve basketball. Life is what she could have been moving with. I 'm glad she has decided to stay but being a main cog for the team next year is not likely.
Maybe not a "main cog" but, if she can get healthy (???), she could be a much needed experienced senior physical presence as a starter. I think a healthy Batouly would work better as a starter than Kyla - bigger, quicker, more athletic, good rebounder, nice shooting touch from 15' in...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe not a "main cog" but, if she can get healthy (???), she could be a much needed experienced senior physical presence as a starter. I think a healthy Batouly would work better as a starter than Kyla - bigger, quicker, more athletic, good rebounder, nice shooting touch from 15' in...
That physical presence is needed now and was last year as well. It's been three years with injuries for Batouly one of which is reportedly a bone bruise in the knee. Don't ever recall someone with that type of injury suddenly getting better without surgery.

Reaction Score

haven't seen enough from either player to consider them starter material next year, slight advantage to Kyla due to her shooting, but unless Uconn can find a decent 3 or 4 to come in and start or play starter minutes off the bench, Coombs will probably start next year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes. A lot.
(And a lot of folks on McGraw's Bench are in violent agreement.)
Kat also had many subtle leaderships qualities that helped maintain and propel that team.

One thing can be certain about her professional quest: she'll give it her all.
She's one of those sad stories in college sports where she was held back by a lingering injury (ankle?), but gave her all for the sake of her team. She had to have endured a lot of pain prior to, and maybe including, her senior year. I've no doubt MM appreciated what she contributed--I hope the fan base did, too.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno even play or let a transfer start with only a one year commitment? They would have to be in the class of AZ. Geno well knows that this would be a gamble that this person could perform within his UConn system. If this theory is true, then this discussion goes no where.

What seems to be more a realistic discussion is, given the recruiting situation in the USA, to look to Europe or Asia for recruits with the potential for excellence. USF does very well with this approach and mixed with some top recruits from the USA, UConn would have a more solid approach to competition.
I thought Geno did not want grad transfers. Anreil Howard visited UConn and I thought was not offered. If Geno did not offer Howard he is not likely to find any grad transfer in her class. Am I correct?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought Geno did not want grad transfers. Anreil Howard visited UConn and I thought was not offered. If Geno did not offer Howard he is not likely to find any grad transfer in her class. Am I correct?

No, you are not correct.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there was ever any confirmation that Howard actually visited UConn, the time when her and Danni Williams were were supposed to visit together Williams definitely made it but Howard was somewhere with warm weather laid out by a pool.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there was ever any confirmation that Howard actually visited UConn, the time when her and Danni Williams were were supposed to visit together Williams definitely made it but Howard was somewhere with warm weather laid out by a pool.
Also not correct.

"I think we are excited,” Howard said of the visit to UConn. “We got to talk to coach Shea (Ralph) and coach Geno (Auriemma) over the phone and they seem like wonderful individuals, so we are excited to see them in person, meet the rest of the staff and meet the girls. That is an important part of it. We want to meet the girls, see how they are and how they love it and take it day by day.

“Coach Shea said that once they told the girls (UConn was recruiting Howard), they had a lot of nice things to say about her and thought she would fit into the program really well.”

Texas A&M rebounding ace Anriel Howard visiting UConn this weekend

Reaction Score
I still have my Mompremier dream but what about Laksa too. She will have one year left and if she wants to learn more about moving without the ball, passing, and playing defense ahead of a professional career in Europe what better place to than UConn.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I still have my Mompremier dream but what about Laksa too. She will have one year left and if she wants to learn more about moving without the ball, passing, and playing defense ahead of a professional career in Europe what better place to than UConn.....
I believe one of our USF posters recently reported here that Laska has committed to return to USF next season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no idea if she is good enough to get UConn interest.....

Head bangHead bangHead bang Always liked her as a player.... Hope she returns to Wake .... but I can understand her wanting to move on to play for team with a chance to win more

Reaction Score
Head bangHead bangHead bang Always liked her as a player.... Hope she returns to Wake .... but I can understand her wanting to move on to play for team with a chance to win more

is she good enough to help UConn for one season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom