Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Reaction Score
Charlie, I think the 1 year patch is needed simply from a numbers perspective. We have 10 players, 2 seniors, 1 redshirt Junior and we have 1 recruit for next year. At best that’s 9 players. Personally, I will be shocked if Batouly returns, I mean why would she- to sit on the bench or do what Natalie did in finding a good graduate degree school either at a lesser P5 or at a mid-major where she can play significant minutes. That leaves 8 on the roster. Grad transfers (or Euros/Aussies) will have to fill those open needs if not for 1 year then multiple (we lose 3 more next year) as he recruits the 2020/21 classes heavily to fill 8 spots-isn’t that always your main concern?

No I agree with the idea that they need additional players, my point was only that whoever they get will most likely not be at the level necessary to win an NC next year, after all even the addition of AZ didn't get them there..........................the good news is if Geno gets PB and a couple of other good 2020 recruits UConn will be right back to the head of the pack

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The career Batouly has had at UConn and the difficulty of learning the system may keep most grad transfers from coming to UConn. Z also had trouble adjusting after two seasons, one practicing and one playing.
This assessment is off basis on a couple of levels. 1) Batouly is a very bright High BB IQ player, there was no indication that she had trouble picking up the UCONN system, there was every indication that her injuries was what kept her off the court. 2) Azura Stevens was arguably UCONN most efficient player last year. She led the team in FG% and was tied for the leadership in rebounds, was third in scoring all while playing ~200 less minutes than every starter. I'd say Azura had the UCONN offense pretty much figured out or she did a damn good job of faking it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What happens if...................................

Geno is unable (or refuses) to find/sign some additional players (non top 100 rated freshmen/JC transfers/Canadian/graduate transfers) for next year by continuing to only fish in shallow waters? He loses Lou and Napheesa to graduation this year. They're taking their victory lap as we speak. :eek:

He loses Crystal, Molly, Kyla and Batouly in May of next year. He has Griffin coming in. A freshman that as Christyn is doing now (and most freshmen did before her), MUST go the freshman orientation and maturation gauntlet, including hitting the freshman wall (a rite of passage) in mid January, and will most likely have hit and miss games while making the adjustment to D1 WCBB.

I believe that Geno is the Bill Belichick of WCBB, in that he can (he rarely has had to, but he can) take a non rated diamond in the rough and polish her up and hone her skills, making her a useful and productive player that can/will shine brightly for UConn during her tenure.

There have been and are some very good players in Div 1 WCBB that were not top 100 rated players in any of the scouting or rating services. There are plenty of good to very good players left in high school across the country that are still uncommitted that would leap at the opportunity to come to UConn and be a part of this program.

99 of the top 100 players in class 2019 have committed and signed. #68 Kennedy Tucker 5'10' PG form Arkansas remains uncommitted. I understand that Geno is use to attracting top 10 players to his program. I'm NOT suggesting he do anything different. We'll have to wait until May 15, the last day of the regular LOI signings for the 2019 class has passed, then wait to see where the top half of the 2020 class has committed and signed their LOI's later this year (during the early signing period in November) to see exactly where UConn stands.

Hopefully the swing and miss (no disrespect to Aubrey Griffin, I like her) on their most coveted recruits UConn suffered this recruiting year was an anomaly, and they get the 3/4 coveted recruits they desire in 2020, and things return to normal.

I think we would all agree that UConn cannot endure another 1 person class in 2020, or miss out a second straight year on all of their most coveted recruits. First of all, he'd be down to 5 players for the 2020-2021 season - Walker, Coombs, Williams, ONO, Griffin and who ever he recruits next year from the 2020 class.

How much can Griffin be counted on next year? Geno will have to replace Lou and Napheesa in the starting lineup. Who will he promote? How potent will next year's team be if Geno stands pat with a 1 person class for 2019? A lot of current UConn records will go by the wayside if this comes to pass.

The not losing two games back to back in however many years, and their undefeated record in the AAC will most likely fall. A 1 person class for 2019 IMO will plunge this team right back in the middle of the pack. The "talent" gap between them and everyone else in DIV 1 that they enjoyed for so many years will have completely closed.

I submit that next year's team will be unrecognizable if Geno stands pat on bringing in more players this recruiting year. Next year's team will have "UCONN" on the front of their jerseys, but that will be the only similarity to teams past.

I don't think he's done signing players for this year yet. He can't be. One does not have to be a fortune teller or a tarot card reader to see how THAT scenario would play out. I think Geno has a couple aces up his sleeve he hasn't played yet. I'm not throwing any rocks or shade at Geno or the program, just wondering out loud, and providing some food for thought. There is no one on the bench that can replace the production of Lou and Pheesa next year. I am concerned. If I'm missing something here, please........................................enlighten me. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's clear to me that Crystal's and Pheesa's recent struggles, as well as Lou's ongoing and Christyn's shooting woes, are the consequence of our thin roster. They're exhausted, physically due to the minutes they've logged and mentally because of the burden placed on them - they know there's no help on the bench.
I haven't given up on the season, #1 seed or not. I have too much confidence in Geno and CD not to. But, win it all or not this year, we have no chance next year unless we get some additional front court help. We need height and muscle. Aubrey won't be enough.
So, Geno has to find help from the overseas, transfer, and/or JUCO pools.
Sorry - just not buying the "physically tired" thing. I get that the kids have been traveling, thin roster, away games, etc etc. But we've heard for YEARS that UCONN players are the best conditioned in the entire nation, and that practices are close to 2 hours of hell, and much harder than games.

So no, I don't buy that they are physically tired from playing 35+ minutes in a game on game day vs. what would have been a 2 hour grueling practice if it was not game day.

I do get the "mentally tired" - more pressure on the starters to be great when on the court because there is almost no backup for them, but in a way, isn't that why they came to UCONN? Play big minutes in big games, face the pressure, and have a shot to win the NC?

More than that, there are numerous years in the past where UCONN has won the NC and gone no more than 6 deep in big games.

By the way I don't mean to sound argumentative - you may be right - it's just an explanation that doens't make sense to me. I think it's more likely that the team misses the tremendous passing out of the high post and athleticism of Gabby and the hockey player toughness combined with an elite shooting touch of Kia as well as the tremendously tall and efficient Stevens in the post. We are still a top 5 team - we just lost so much last year...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hopefully the swing and miss UConn suffered this recruiting year was an anomaly, and things return to normal in 2020. I think we would all agree UConn cannot endure another 1 person class in 2020. First of all, he'd be down to 5 players for the 2021-2022 season - Aubrey, Christyn, ONO, Megan, Mikayla and who ever he recruits next year from the 2020 class.
Not sure why people are keeping on this. :confused: UCONN has had a few 1 person classes in the past and has always followed up by either a 4 or 5 person class. Why do people think a 1 person class will be followed up by another 1/0 person class? It's never happened before. What could possibly make you think it would happen now????

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are keeping on this. :confused: UCONN has had a few 1 person classes in the past and has always followed up by either a 4 or 5 person class. Why do people think a 1 person class will be followed up by another 1/0 person class? It's never happened before. What could possibly make you think it would happen now????

this class is eerily familiar to last year..............there are no current offered recruits who are obvious UConn leans as far as we know, the race to sign recruits is as competitive as ever if not more so..........................................there are no sure things............

Reaction Score
Charlie, I think the 1 year patch is needed simply from a numbers perspective. We have 10 players, 2 seniors, 1 redshirt Junior and we have 1 recruit for next year. At best that’s 9 players. Personally, I will be shocked if Batouly returns, I mean why would she- to sit on the bench or do what Natalie did in finding a good graduate degree school either at a lesser P5 or at a mid-major where she can play significant minutes. That leaves 8 on the roster. Grad transfers (or Euros/Aussies) will have to fill those open needs if not for 1 year then multiple (we lose 3 more next year) as he recruits the 2020/21 classes heavily to fill 8 spots-isn’t that always your main concern?

I was under the impression that Camara can't physically play extended minutes (knee,s).

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that Camara can't physically play extended minutes (knee,s).

we assume that but do we really know if that's why she's playing such limited minutes? I don't remember Geno ever actually saying that...........

Reaction Score
we assume that but do we really know if that's why she's playing such limited minutes? I don't remember Geno ever actually saying that......

I was responding to someone who seemed to know for sure that it wasn't physical. I agree we don't know.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was responding to someone who seemed to know for sure that it wasn't physical. I agree we don't know.
You bring up an interesting point. We all knew when Morgan Tuck was playing, there were concerns about her knee and how long a career could last. We also knew about Soniya’s I-band issue that prevented extended minutes for her during her Junior year. I suspect if BT had a knee issue preventing extended minutes, we would have heard about by now.
I really like BT and am flummoxed why she isn’t 7th man off the bench. She battles intelligently underneath, knows when to take shot so she isn’t a liability on offense and runs pretty well. She could really help us in my view. But until I am named HC, I can only wonder why she sits so much and will not be surprised if when she graduates and she goes elsewhere next year. Either way, I will be rooting for her!

Reaction Score
I suspect if BT had a knee issue preventing extended minutes, we would have heard about by now.

I can't quote them but Geno has made references to how he never knows if she can go and it was plain he was referring to her knees. Even a year ago he said that she was having a hard time with her rehab and was limited in practice.

This isn't the first player to transfer in with physical issues that limited their time. There was a center from Duke prior to Stevens who transferred in and used to start and play about 13 mins a game despite the fact that she was easily the best post on the team.

Reaction Score
I can't quote them but Geno has made references to how he never knows if she can go and it was plain he was referring to her knees. Even a year ago he said that she was having a hard time with her rehab and was limited in practice.

This isn't the first player to transfer in with physical issues that limited their time. There was a center from Duke prior to Stevens who transferred in and used to start and play about 13 mins a game despite the fact that she was easily the best post on the team.
Recently Geno said he would play BC more if she didn't foul so much

Reaction Score
Recently Geno said he would play BC more if she didn't foul so much
There has been a lot of speculation here about why Batouly is seeing such limited playing time. I think the only recent public comment has been what j66kicker noted from Geno concerning her fouling. When people were talking about her possible physical ailments one of the mods commented on the HIPPA privacy rules and we shouldn’t expect medical info. I would think that a student here on an athletic scholarship wouldn’t mind the release of information on an athletic injury limiting her ability to compete in her sport (Saniya,Morgan, Brittany Hunter and multiple others have had info on their injuries made known). Obviously, when there is some other type of medical issue privacy should be respected.
I hope there is no serious medical issue with Batouly and I’m with DefenseBB in hoping she gets more playing time soon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This assessment is off basis on a couple of levels. 1) Batouly is a very bright High BB IQ player, there was no indication that she had trouble picking up the UCONN system, there was every indication that her injuries was what kept her off the court. 2) Azura Stevens was arguably UCONN most efficient player last year. She led the team in FG% and was tied for the leadership in rebounds, was third in scoring all while playing ~200 less minutes than every starter. I'd say Azura had the UCONN offense pretty much figured out or she did a damn good job of faking it.
Yet for some reason or reasons Batouly is buried on the bench this season and there has been no indication injuries are the reason. Geno was the one who said she was struggling with the offense early on in spite of her high BB IQ. As you said there was an indication her injuries hindered but nothing has been said about injuries this season. Anyway, it is not what I think. It depends on what prospective players think about why she is not playing. Also, regardless of whether the reasons Z did not play more last season, there are a number of posters who wonder why she did not play more last season if she was the best player on the team as Geno says. You can bet some recruits may be wondering the same thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At the beginning of this season Batouly herself was quoted as saying it takes a couple of hours to get her body ready to play. When you are 21 and it takes a couple of hours to get your body ready to play a game your body is probably not right.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
this class is eerily familiar to last year....there are no current offered recruits who are obvious UConn leans as far as we know, the race to sign recruits is as competitive as ever if not more so.......there are no sure things..
Name one player that was an "obvious UCONN lean" in the last 5-10 recruiting classes at this stage of the process.

Reaction Score
Name one player that was an "obvious UCONN lean" in the last 5-10 recruiting classes at this stage of the process.

Christyn Williams was clearly a UConn lean for quite a long time...........she had UConn pictures on her twitter banner head and the vast majority of her retweets were UConn related..................that changed late in the process as she considered other schools but at least we knew that UConn was important to her.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams was clearly a UConn lean for quite a long time......she had UConn pictures on her twitter banner head and the vast majority of her retweets were UConn related...that changed late in the process as she considered other schools but at least we knew that UConn was important to her....
Oh, so obvious UCONN lean is determined from stalking teenage twitter accounts. Guess I"ll never know.
FYI Christyn Williams wanted to go to a school where she could beat UCONN up until her last couple of AAU seasons. In addition South Carolina was added to her list of schools very very late in the recruiting process after she had made an unofficial visit to UCONN. Be careful not to read too much into those teenage twitter accounts.

Reaction Score
Sam Fuehring of Louisville is a true senior so she won't be transferring as a grad transfer next year. Possibly playing professionally (somewhere) but college eligibility will be over.
Sam Fuehring - Women's Basketball - University of Louisville Athletics

Janelle Bailey is sophomore at UNC. On the other hand, guard Stephanie Watts is a redshirt junior, so if she graduates, she could be eligible.
Stephanie Watts - Women's Basketball - University of North Carolina Athletics
Thanks i was thinking watts but quoted bailey i do apologize. Sam could help UCONN. I could see have draft stock rising for next yr more so than this year if she even has any.

Reaction Score
Oh, so obvious UCONN lean is determined from stalking teenage twitter accounts. Guess I"ll never know.
FYI Christyn Williams wanted to go to a school where she could beat UCONN up until her last couple of AAU seasons. In addition South Carolina was added to her list of schools very very late in the recruiting process after she had made an unofficial visit to UCONN. Be careful not to read too much into those teenage twitter accounts.

Yes what players post on their public social media is one of the only clues we amateurs have in determining what recruits are thinking...........I assume you don't mind the video clips and other info that we "stalkers" find on those twitter accounts to bring new recruiting information to this forum.................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes what players post on their public social media is one of the only clues we amateurs have in determining what recruits are thinking......I assume you don't mind the video clips and other info that we "stalkers" find on those twitter accounts to bring new recruiting information to this forum.......
Big difference between a video clip which I can watch and make up my own mind about and you stalking a twitter account and making definitive WAGS about who is leanings towards or away from UCONN.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Big difference between a video clip which I can watch and make up my own mind about and you stalking a twitter account and making definitive WAGS about who is leanings towards or away from UCONN.
You make it sound like @Charliebball is climbing on trash cans to peak through their bedroom windows. A more apt comparison is reading the signs they place out on their front lawns. These students know what they place on their public twitter accounts will be viewed by anyone. They are well aware of the privacy settings. You can choose not to read the twitter accounts of recruits, but you don't need to shame those who do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You make it sound like @Charliebball is climbing on trash cans to peak through their bedroom windows. A more apt comparison is reading the signs they place out on their front lawns. These students know what they place on their public twitter accounts will be viewed by anyone. They are well aware of the privacy settings. You can choose not to read the twitter accounts of recruits, but you don't need to shame those who do.
I will continue to shame any adult that stalk teenage twitter accounts and then draw definitive conclusions about what those teenager are thinking or the way they are leaning.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of this season Batouly herself was quoted as saying it takes a couple of hours to get her body ready to play. When you are 21 and it takes a couple of hours to get your body ready to play a game your body is probably not right.
If it takes her a couple of hours to get her body ready to play a game I would think it would be difficult entering a game after sitting for an extended period of time. I find it interesting that soccer reserves spend a lot of time warming up before entering a game - a practice we do not see in basketball, football or baseball - except pitchers. Maybe it would benefit players to be able to do so. Not sure how it would happen - just think it has merit.

Reaction Score
The future class-by-class competitive talent is thin: Junior: one (Crystal); Soph: one (Megan); Frosh: two. So, unless Geno thinks we can be competitive with Aubrey, Mikayla, Molly, Kyla, Batouly playing significant minutes, he has no choice but to bring in additional talent from overseas, JUCO, or transfers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom