Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Christyn was such a UConn lean that some of our resident recruiting “experts” predicted she’d pick South Carolina or Texas over UConn. I don’t think I have to identify the experts.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks i was thinking watts but quoted bailey i do apologize. Sam could help UCONN. I could see have draft stock rising for next yr more so than this year if she even has any.

No worries. I saw Sam F. play a few times while she was in high school in NJ. It took awhile for her to see airtime on the court at Louisville, but she's improved year to year. And I think you have a point that she could've benefited from one more year of virtual full-time playing to help make a leap into the pros. If that's her goal, perhaps she can start by playing in some of the lesser leagues to get experience and make her way towards the more prominent international leagues and eventually a shot..

Kat Westbeld, a somewhat similar player, did a stint in Puerto Rico which resulted in her getting a contract in Spain. Maybe it progresses, maybe not. But they're trying to pursue their dream. Bravo.

Reaction Score
I will continue to shame any adult that stalk teenage twitter accounts and then draw definitive conclusions about what those teenager are thinking or the way they are leaning.

I'm not making "definitive" opinions just observations..................the fact that you feel the need to "shame" anyone here trying to have a legitimate discussion speaks volumes about you.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not making "definitive" opinions just observations...the fact that you feel the need to "shame" anyone here trying to have a legitimate discussion speaks volumes about you...

Christyn Williams was clearly a UConn lean for quite a long time......she had UConn pictures on her twitter banner head and the vast majority of her retweets were UConn related...that changed late in the process as she considered other schools but at least we knew that UConn was important to her....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yes what players post on their public social media is one of the only clues we amateurs have in determining what recruits are thinking

You make it sound like @Charliebball is climbing on trash cans to peak through their bedroom windows. A more apt comparison is reading the signs they place out on their front lawns. These students know what they place on their public twitter accounts will be viewed by anyone. They are well aware of the privacy settings. You can choose not to read the twitter accounts of recruits, but you don't need to shame those who do

I will continue to shame any adult that stalk teenage twitter accounts and then draw definitive conclusions about what those teenager are thinking or the way they are leaning.

Coco: What do you consider stalking in relation to what Charlie and Fightin' Choke are discussing? Does that involve a quick look a prospect's twitter or instagram account (most kids don't bother with facebook these days)? Or going to it every day? As a father of four young adults in their 20s who had various social accounts in their later teens, I was often sent notes or links to "check this out." I didn't consider it "dirty" to take a look at the issue at hand. I didn't delve further into the account, but that may be as a result of my age and unfamiliarity/unease with the medium.

I very much agree with Fightin' Choke here. These kids know what they're placing on the public accounts (will be viewed by anyone), particularly in the pictures and/or images on the front page.

The top quote from Charlie is instructive to me in that it sets context in relation to these recruiting threads. Many blogs and boards have an interest in recruiting. There are many different sources and angles to check out a prospect and/or story, as you well know. A few posters whom I respect find a cursory scan of a prospects' social media might indicate what kind of posts they're retweeting (say, scores of a certain college) or whom the prospects are hearing from or having conversations with. These entries may (or may not) give an insight, just like a secondary adult source ("I heard from a person who knows an assistant coach"). Once again, as FA pointed out, these are public accounts. Maybe not your cup of tea (or mine, for that matter) per se, but there are a lot of different viewpoints and modus operandis on this board.

So, I'm interested in your take on that. It might also give me an indication as to why you'd choose to use a very strong word -- shaming -- in relation to the discourse you're having with a fellow board member.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

when a recruit's banner head has a UConn logo followed with numerous tweets about UConn players and games with no other tweets about any other schools do you think that they may be an indication that said recruit is leaning towards UConn? A lean doesn't mean a sure thing, it simply means they are more strongly thinking about one school over others at that particular time.................the 2020 class has several players doing the exact same thing right now but I won't dare mention them as it might offend you............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: What do you consider stalking in relation to what Charlie and Fightin' Choke are discussing? Does that involve a quick look a prospect's twitter or instagram account (most kids don't bother with facebook these days)? Or going to it every day? As a father of four young adults in their 20s who had various social accounts in their later teens, I was often sent notes or links to "check this out." I didn't consider it "dirty" to take a look at the issue at hand. I didn't delve further into the account, but that may be as a result of my age and unfamiliarity/unease with the medium.

I very much agree with Fightin' Choke here. These kids know what they're placing on the accounts, particularly in the pictures on the front page.

The top quote from Charlie is instructive to me in that it sets context in relation to these recruiting threads. Many blogs and boards have an interest in recruiting. There are many different sources and angles to check out a prospect and/or story, as you well know. A few posters whom I respect find a cursory scan of a prospects' social media might indicate what kind of posts they're retweeting (say, scores of a secertain college) or whom the prospects are hearing from or having conversations with. These entries may (or may not) give an insight, just like a secondary adult source ("I heard from a person who knows an assistant coach"). Once again, as FA pointed out, these are public accounts. Maybe not your cup of tea (or mine, for that matter) per se, but there are a lot of different viewpoints and modus operandis on this board.

So, I'm interested in your take on that. It might also give me an indication as to why you'd choose to use a very strong word -- shaming -- in relation to the discourse you're having with a fellow board member.

I stand by my previous posts and the use of both words: shaming and stalking.
These are teenage girls and the boundary between what they choose to put out on social media (however public) and what adults consume should be a very healthy one. Therefore I disagree with both you and @Fightin Choke when you say: "These kids know what they're placing on the accounts, particularly in the pictures on the front page." They are kids. What teenagers put on these social media accounts is variable and highly dependent on maturity & parental supervision. BTW I have no doubt your kids are in great shape in this regard but some kids are not. This is where adults have to step in and decide for themselves. I don't look, but I can understand why many others do and have no issues with any of looking scenarios you described. For those that do look I appreciate the "basketball related" videos, photos, comments, observations that are shared here. What is particular irksome and I continue to rail against is the use of teenage social media information as yet another club to beat the drum of UCONN recruiting failures as is being done by @Charliebball. Some specific examples to which you can relate. 1) Samantha Brunelle is clearly out here recruiting for ND because she wished Azzi Fudd a happy birthday on Instagram. 2) I know NJ player X would have been happy and would have accepted a UCONN offer. 3) There are no clear UCONN leans in the class of 2020 because...... I don't see it in their social media I'm looking at everyday...UCONN is in trouble again.
An observation should be based on something you actually saw. You can certainly based you opinions on things that were observed. When you continually based your observations on things that are not there, people like me begin to think you are making it up.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
when a recruit's banner head has a UConn logo followed with numerous tweets about UConn players and games with no other tweets about any other schools do you think that they may be an indication that said recruit is leaning towards UConn?
I wouldn't know, I don't look at all. What's a banner head?

A lean doesn't mean a sure thing, it simply means they are more strongly thinking about one school over others at that particular time.......the 2020 class has several players doing the exact same thing right now.
So UCONN has some strong leans in the 2020 and you are basing this on them changing their banner header (whatever that is). Well hell, what was in their banner before? :eek:

I won't dare mention them as it might offend you..
It would.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Regarding the two possible grad transfers currently playing at Indiana: PG Ali Patberg and G/W Brenna Wise. The Indy Star recently wrote an in-depth article on Patberg and based on a few of the quotes (some of which I've posted here, the rest of which you can find in the link), it looks like they're very much enjoying the IU experience. One factor for Patberg is that a core contingent of family and friends come from her hometown of Columbus every game. Key for Wise is the close bond she's established with Patberg. Some quotes:

- "And she (Patberg) wasn’t sitting alone. Fellow-transfer Brenna Wise was, too.

“Going through what we went through together, going through tough times together, being there for one another, it builds a bond like sisters, family,” Patberg said. “We get each other so well. We’re both super competitive and we work super hard.”

“It took a lot for me to leave my family,” added Wise, who transferred from Pittsburgh and grew up there. “She was like, ‘My family will be your family. I’m here for whatever you need.’”

- “Ali’s a good juice kid,”IU's Coach Teri Moren said. “She’s always positive with her teammates. When they get discouraged or they make a mistake or whatever in the course of practice, in a game, she’s the first one there to go and build them up. That takes a special person, to be a point guard and have a lot of pressure running our basketball team, but she still — because of the person that she is — can separate herself and give herself to her teammates.”

- “Playing now with my team here at IU,” Patberg said, “every game is a dream.”

Seems like they're both in a good place thus far. Stay tuned. o

2015 Miss Basketball Ali Patberg rediscovering her confidence with IU

p.s. The article -- and Patberg -- go into the reasons that she decided to leave Notre Dame. The injuries, illnesses and effect on her basketball confidence are mentioned. The article also brought up that she did talk to Coach McGraw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I very much agree with Fightin' Choke here. These kids know what they're placing on the accounts, particularly in the pictures on the front page.

The top quote from Charlie is instructive to me in that it sets context in relation to these recruiting threads. Many blogs and boards have an interest in recruiting. There are many different sources and angles to check out a prospect and/or story, as you well know. A few posters whom I respect find a cursory scan of a prospects' social media might indicate what kind of posts they're retweeting (say, scores of a secertain college) or whom the prospects are hearing from or having conversations with. These entries may (or may not) give an insight, just like a secondary adult source ("I heard from a person who knows an assistant coach"). Once again, as FA pointed out, these are public accounts. Maybe not your cup of tea (or mine, for that matter) per se, but there are a lot of different viewpoints and modus operandis on this board.

I wouldn't know, I don't look at all. What's a banner head?

So UCONN has some strong leans in the 2020 and you are basing this on them changing their banner header (whatever that is). Well hell, what was in their banner before? :eek:

It would.

as you continue to make unapologetic personal attacks I feel zero need to respond to your parochial nonsense................consider yourself person non grata in my book

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
oh lawd.jpg

meme ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
as you continue to make unapologetic personal attacks I feel zero need to respond to your parochial nonsense......consider yourself person non grata in my book
Gracias.

Reaction Score
Clearly, transfers, grad transfers and "hardship" transfers significantly helped South Carolina, Stanford and Notre Dame. Two recent national championships took place BECAUSE of transfers. If this is going to be the way WCB is going, and we are losing high school recruits, then I say "have at it."

Reaction Score
The career Batouly has had at UConn and the difficulty of learning the system may keep most grad transfers from coming to UConn. Z also had trouble adjusting after two seasons, one practicing and one playing.
Z became a First Round draft choice. Not sure what her goals were in transferring to UConn but appears at least one were met.

Reaction Score
Christyn was such a UConn lean that some of our resident recruiting “experts” predicted she’d pick South Carolina or Texas over UConn. I don’t think I have to identify the experts.
Yes, and most of these same "experts" assured everyone their sources guaranteed 100% Boston would commit to UConn.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Regarding the two possible grad transfers currently playing at Indiana: PG Ali Patberg and G/W Brenna Wise. The Indy Star recently wrote an in-depth article on Patberg and based on a few of the quotes (some of which I've posted here, the rest of which you can find in the link), it looks like they're very much enjoying the IU experience. One factor for Patberg is that a core contingent of family and friends come from her hometown of Columbus every game. Key for Wise is the close bond she's established with Patberg. Some quotes:

- "And she (Patberg) wasn’t sitting alone. Fellow-transfer Brenna Wise was, too.

“Going through what we went through together, going through tough times together, being there for one another, it builds a bond like sisters, family,” Patberg said. “We get each other so well. We’re both super competitive and we work super hard.”

“It took a lot for me to leave my family,” added Wise, who transferred from Pittsburgh and grew up there. “She was like, ‘My family will be your family. I’m here for whatever you need.’”

- “Ali’s a good juice kid,”IU's Coach Teri Moren said. “She’s always positive with her teammates. When they get discouraged or they make a mistake or whatever in the course of practice, in a game, she’s the first one there to go and build them up. That takes a special person, to be a point guard and have a lot of pressure running our basketball team, but she still — because of the person that she is — can separate herself and give herself to her teammates.”

- “Playing now with my team here at IU,” Patberg said, “every game is a dream.”

Seems like they're both in a good place thus far. Stay tuned. o

2015 Miss Basketball Ali Patberg rediscovering her confidence with IU

p.s. The article -- and Patberg -- go into the reasons that she decided to leave Notre Dame. The injuries, illnesses and effect on her basketball confidence are mentioned. The article also brought up that she did talk to Coach McGraw.

Aww....Darn! Ali Patberg tripped and fell on the court in the third quarter of IU's home game loss against Minnesota. One report says her right shoulder popped out of the socket, while another focused on the "shoulder area." Her coach Teri Moren addressed it in the post-game presser:

"I have no update on Ali (Patberg). Robert (Black) is taking her right now. She is going to get some X-Rays. It was difficult to play for the first time without our point guard and I thought Bendu, Jaelynn, Grace, and Keyanna did a good job of being able to play without our normal point guard in there. I am really proud in a difficult situation how they handled themselves. Right now, we just have to keep our fingers crossed and pray that whatever we find out with Ali is short term."

Given what she's gone through, seriously wishing her the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Aww....Darn! Ali Patberg tripped and fell on the court in the third quarter of IU's home game loss against Minnesota. One report says her right shoulder popped out of the socket, while another focused on the "shoulder area." Her coach Teri Moren addressed it in the post-game presser:
"I have no update on Ali (Patberg). Robert (Black) is taking her right now. She is going to get some X-Rays. It was difficult to play for the first time without our point guard and I thought Bendu, Jaelynn, Grace, and Keyanna did a good job of being able to play without our normal point guard in there. I am really proud in a difficult situation how they handled themselves. Right now, we just have to keep our fingers crossed and pray that whatever we find out with Ali is short term."

Given what she's gone through, seriously wishing her the best.
Best of luck to Ali on those x-rays, hoping for a speedy recovery.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clearly, transfers, grad transfers and "hardship" transfers significantly helped South Carolina, Stanford and Notre Dame.

Help me out, who transferred to Stanford? I can't think of anyone since Brooke Smith, that was about a decade ago.

Reaction Score
Back to my assertion that Geno has little choice but to add talent for next year from overseas, JUCO, and/or via transfer, I'm relieved to have heard Kelli Stacy say in the most recent Courant podcast (#94) that Geno "already has ideas for additional players". So, in Geno I trust and am confident the 19/20 roster will be bolstered.
BTW, Kelli also raved about Aubrey's athleticism, saying for example, that Geno expects her she'll develop into one of the best players in the country. She, for example, apparently already dunks

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
BTW, Kelli also raved about Aubrey's athleticism, saying for example, that Geno expects her she'll develop into one of the best players in the country. She, for example, apparently already dunks

She's been able to dunk a tennis ball for years. If she can dunk a basketball now that's a new development.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She's been able to dunk a tennis ball for years. If she can dunk a basketball now that's a new development.

Now that I've listened to the podcast, it was indeed dunking a tennis ball that was being discussed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If this old lady has eligibility left, we should sign her:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member