Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Brenda did one of her better jobs in recruiting the two New Jersey girls (Masonius and Diamond Miller). I think Kiah Gillespie is really happy at FSU. There she is the go to player, something that she will not be at UConn.

As far as problem players, there have been several example of so called problems players turning it around at another college. Two that comes to mind are Angel McCoughtry and Demauria (Dee) Liles. McCoughtry's accomplishments are well known. Dee Liles committed to Maryland from high school. Didn't qualify and wound up making JUCO POY. She was signed by Maryland and help lead them to an ACC title plus the Elite 8 (where they lost to of all people McCoughtry and Louisville). Grades and other issues lead her to not return to Maryland for her senior season.
Brenda has always done a good job of recruiting NJ with players like Crystal Langhorne & Laurin Mincy.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Blair Watson is also from New Jersey but she is in a bit of a slump right now.

Still a solid player who will continue to get stronger as she gets further away from her ACL injury.

Saw her play quite a few times against Montclair (she played for Nutley) and she had game then. As Coco said, Brenda does a good job of traveling up I-95 for talent. Maryland is not too far away for the Garden State kids. In fact, Diamond Miller cited that closeness as a reason for selecting the Terps...her parents will get to see her play a lot of games.

Reaction Score
What stuff are you hearing?

Talks of wanting to compete for a national title. She may be the star at LSU but she doesn't have a shot at a national title run here unfortunately.

Chloe Jackson left LSU because she "wanted to improve her game and compete at the highest level". Baylor offered her that and one of the graduate programs there fit into what she wanted to do outside of basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Judging by the stuff I am hearing, LSU's Ayanna Mitchell could very well will be in that database after the season ends.
Does she have to enter the database if she has her degree from LSU?

Reaction Score
Does she have to enter the database if she has her degree from LSU?

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought all transfers have to go through the portal/transfer database. It allows everyone else to know that you are on market available. Now, since she will be a graduate transfer, she would be able to transfer and play immediately.

Reaction Score
Personally I think Mitchell would fit in nicely at Uconn, she would give the team some rebounding and toughness, I think she would have a chance to start at the 4 next to Liv, or provide quality minutes of the bench as the sixth man.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe I am mistaken but I thought all transfers have to go through the portal/transfer database. It allows everyone else to know that you are on market available. Now, since she will be a graduate transfer, she would be able to transfer and play immediately.
I'm not sure, that is why I'm asking.

Reaction Score
Personally I think Mitchell would fit in nicely at Uconn, she would give the team some rebounding and toughness, I think she would have a chance to start at the 4 next to Liv, or provide quality minutes of the bench as the sixth man.

Mitchell is phenomenal rebounder and a tough defender. She will give you a lot of extra possessions. She moves well on her feet and takes a lot of charges. Honestly at UCONN or anywhere, you couldn't ask for a better bench player to give you rebounding, toughness on defense and energy. I do think she would be better if she had better players to take some of the slack off her. Every team literally put all the eggs into her basket and force everyone else on our team to beat them.

Offensively I do think she could polish up a lot more but I think the lack of it is because of how LSU uses her. They always have her so buried deep in the post next to the basket. She is very capable of hitting outside shots and 3's. Ball handling IMO is something she could improve on a bit.

Personally, I am not fond of how LSU has developed post players. She could be much better elsewhere with legit coaching in that department. Nikki Fargas is very guard oriented and thats what her niche is. Our post play has been suspect over the years. Not very skilled offensively. They rebound and get into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Some advantages for Mitchell playing at Uconn would be
More TV exposure
Pretty much a guaranteed conference championship
Improving her WNBA draft stock

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Mitchell is phenomenal rebounder and a tough defender. She will give you a lot of extra possessions. She moves well on her feet and takes a lot of charges. Honestly at UCONN or anywhere, you couldn't ask for a better bench player to give you rebounding, toughness on defense and energy. I do think she would be better if she had better players to take some of the slack off her. Every team literally put all the eggs into her basket and force everyone else on our team to beat them.

Offensively I do think she could polish up a lot more but I think the lack of it is because of how LSU uses her. They always have her so buried deep in the post next to the basket. She is very capable of hitting outside shots and 3's. Ball handling IMO is something she could improve on a bit.

Personally, I am not fond of how LSU has developed post players. She could be much better elsewhere with legit coaching in that department. Nikki Fargas is very guard oriented and thats what her niche is. Our post play has been suspect over the years. Not very skilled offensively. They rebound and get into foul trouble.
SECbbfan24,
I appreciate your objective thoughts on this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I looked around and as best I can tell the portal only eliminates the permission to contact. So She would have to enter into the portal if she intends to contact a school prior to receiving her degree.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I watched the Vandy-UTenn game and became reacquainted with Mariella Fasoula, the 6-5" forward from Athens, Greece, who played at BC for two years before transferring out to Vandy. We Irish fans used to see her twice a year and I was always dumbfounded at her array of running hooks, wrap-around-the-opponent's body scoop shots, and general pure funkiness in the lane.

She's done a partial Jess Shepard and dropped body weight, but still has those funky moves. Plus she's doing this while playing with a wrap on her leg, which has a torn knee meniscus.

Fasoula is a red-shirt junior. When she transferred to Vandy, I thought it was a good fit..go to a solid school with a decent program that is being taken over by a dynamic young coach. But, for whatever reasons, Vandy appears to be headed in the wrong direction, Steph White or not.

So, now count me as a person that could see Fasoula getting her degree and wondering if a year spent as a grad transfer might make sense, even if it is her third school (a la Ms. Jackson at NC State, LSU and Baylor).

Let me know if UConn does not have interest..I could see her working at a school in north central Indiana....;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Updating the running list for those keeping track . 2nd great addition by @Dillon77.

SG: Hannah Friend 6’1” Sacramento State
SG: Aliyah Jeune 6’1” Morehead State
PG: Ali Patberg 5’10” Indiana
SF: Kia Gillespie 6’1” MD Florida State
SG: Borislava Hristova 6'0" Washington St.
SG: Haley Gorecki 6’1” Duke
SG: Kitija Laska 6’1” South Florida
SG/W Brenna Wise 6'0" Indiana
P: Beatrice Mompremier 6’4” Baylor, Miami.
P: Erin DeGrate 6’4” Louisville, Texas Tech.
PG: Taja Cole 5’7” Louisville, UGA
F: Jordan Hosey 6’2” Texas
F: Victoria Gaines 6’1” Michigan State
F: Ayana Mitchell 6’2” LSU
G: Laura Cornelius Miami
F:Mariella Fasoula, 6-5" Vandy

Reaction Score
Updating the running list for those keeping track . 2nd great addition by @Dillon77.

Which of those players would UConn be interested in and what are the odds of those players wanting to leave their current programs for UConn?

Reaction Score
Which of those players would UConn be interested in and what are the odds of those players wanting to leave their current programs for UConn?

Not sure if Uconn is interested or not but I think Mitchell (LSU) and Gorecki (Duke) would both provide needs for Uconn next year, Mitchell as a strong rebounding forward and Gorecki as decent long range shooter, Watts from unc could also be a potential option for shooting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IDK.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure if Uconn is interested or not but I think Mitchell (LSU) and Gorecki (Duke) would both provide needs for Uconn next year, Mitchell as a strong rebounding forward and Gorecki as decent long range shooter, Watts from unc could also be a potential option for shooting.
Goreki was one of 4 recruits who visited UConn during a recruiting weekend, the spring of 2014. The other 3 all signed with UConn: Lou, Pheesa & De’Janae Boykin.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Laksa would fill a definite need but I don't see Geno recruiting her because of his friendship with Jose.....
Except that he got Jasmine from his good friend Doug Bruno. I'm sure Jose woudn't want to lose her, but who knows what Kitija wants?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'll take 1 guard, 1 post, and 1 wing.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
What about UNC's Janelle Bailey or LV's Sam Fuerhrig ?

Sam Fuehring of Louisville is a true senior so she won't be transferring as a grad transfer next year. Possibly playing professionally (somewhere) but college eligibility will be over.
Sam Fuehring - Women's Basketball - University of Louisville Athletics

Janelle Bailey is sophomore at UNC. On the other hand, guard Stephanie Watts is a redshirt junior, so if she graduates, she could be eligible.
Stephanie Watts - Women's Basketball - University of North Carolina Athletics

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom