Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Reaction Score
Unless we're talking about someone in the near-all american class, I don't think
Geno would want a transfer of the one and done variety. By the time she got up
to speed (if she got up to speed) in Geno's system, the season would be over, and
she'd be gone.

I doubt he would have taken Stevens if he had known she was going to bail on her
last year of eligibility.

Inserting someone into the lineup who doesn't know what she's supposed to do
fouls things up for the other four kids on the floor and would be a liability rather
than an asset.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
(BTW, I'm aware of everything that UConn could bring to her basketball-wise, but sometimes....)

For those with the talent there is a lucrative career that few degree holders see until they are much much older. What she will get at UConn is her best shot at a pro career. In Storrs she (and anyone else) gets to practice and scrimmage with/against a lot of eventual 1st round draft picks and gets far more exposure than she would get in Miami. And they practice at both ends of the floor unlike some elite programs who simply play to outscore their opponents. Family deaths are traumatic but most people are getting on with their lives within 6 months. I'm not denying her ties to her family, just not giving that factor as much priority as you.

Grad transfers tend to fall into coach's laps. Especially the elite types that UConn wants. I'm hoping that they fill the roster with 2/3 foreign players. Even if they don't hang around for more than a year or two. In fact I'd rather see more mature players who can fill roles right away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
understood....it's just that sometimes I get the sense that posters here believe these players would be crazy not to leave their schools for the great honor of playing one season for UConn......unless they are WNBA bound that may not be all that important to many....

But aren't those the only types that UConn would want?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Well WNBA bound 4th year juniors can skip being a grad transfer and just go ahead and enter the draft. Why wait another year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well WNBA bound 4th year juniors can skip being a grad transfer and just go ahead and enter the draft. Why wait another year?
Depends on what your draft position. Mompremier for example is projected to be a second round WNBA draft pick. Playing at UCONN for a year may raise her stock. Overall though I agree with what I think @Alydar maybe trying to say: I don't see a graduate transfer that is not WNBA bound helping UCONN very much. Keep in mind that the WNBA draft is 3 rounds deep.

Reaction Score

Very few players with that experience are ready for the pros. You make my point. If a player needs to hone their skills and learn to play at a fast pace UConn is the place. How many times have we heard a player say that they picked UConn or transferred in because they want to be the best they can be and UConn will push them. I have read players say they picked other schools due to closeness to home or because of their "family atmosphere" but never because they believed that Coach Whoever would make them the best they could be.

Reaction Score

of course but how many of those kind of players are there available? There were several last year but alas none ended up at UConn................

Reaction Score
Not a single name on this thread worth the effort.

You need a year to integrate whoever walks in. It’s half wasted time. UConn grads come out as close to pro ready as there is in College. The player gets more than the program gets back from the player.

Commitments work 2 ways — if somebody at the talent level to compete at the highest levels commits to your program they deserve the full opportunity to develop. I be pissed if I were ONO, Walker and Williams.

Grad transfers and rent-a-players undermine development of the recruited talent. Ultimately, they will undermine the program itself.

This is a race to become just like everybody else, and the endpoint will be to become just like everybody else.

Reaction Score
recruiting a 2019 player like ESPN #49 Faith Masonius would have made this conversation less necessary.................really good skills, fundamentally sound, great basketball IQ and better teammate..............always loved UConn where her brother was a UConn hockey player..............instead she'll be playing at Maryland next season............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not a single name on this thread worth the effort.

You need a year to integrate whoever walks in. It’s half wasted time. UConn grads come out as close to pro ready as there is in College. The player gets more than the program gets back from the player.

Commitments work 2 ways — if somebody at the talent level to compete at the highest levels commits to your program they deserve the full opportunity to develop. I be pissed if I were ONO, Walker and Williams.

Grad transfers and rent-a-players undermine development of the recruited talent. Ultimately, they will undermine the program itself.

This is a race to become just like everybody else, and the endpoint will be to become just like everybody else.
These are not “normal” times for UConn. Assuming that Batouly does not return as a RS Senior, that leaves the Huskies with only 8 players. 3 of those players will be solid, returning starters. 3 will be reserves who’s contributions have been inconsistent at best. One will be a BIG with potential who we all hope will make a significant “sophomore leap.” One will be an unproven freshman.

While I agree that Geno can’t bring in just any grad transfer, there are a number of solid, experienced transfers who’s experience would be extremely welcome at UConn. Laksa & Mompremier immediately come to mind. I’m sure there are others.

Reaction Score
These are not “normal” times for UConn. Assuming that Batouly does not return as a RS Senior, that leaves the Huskies with only 8 players. 3 of those players will be solid, returning starters. 3 will be reserves who’s contributions have been inconsistent at best. One will be a BIG with potential who we all hope will make a significant “sophomore leap.” One will be an unproven freshman.

While I agree that Geno can’t bring in just any grad transfer, there are a number of solid, experienced transfers who’s experience would be extremely welcome at UConn. Laksa & Mompremier immediately come to mind. I’m sure there are others.
I’m not counting on a huge leap from ONO——she needs to gain weight, and then get used to the body before the real development work shows up on the court. 2nd to 3rd years I would expect it, with the “blossoming” starting later yr 3.

I expect significant jumps from Walker and Williams.

Respectively,

I would suggest the transfers at best are of very limited value. The players get what ?....move up in the draft ?

What’s the team get....not an NC.

I’d be somewhat more amenable to the idea if you could make the case that a transfer can deliver a NC, but I still wouldn’t like it. They can’t. The best they can deliver is a better tournament seeding.

Be real - That’s what you guys are talking about.

You want to sell out your program, customize your offense for one season to accommodate your transfers in order to get full value because otherwise, again, it’s not worth it. And what happens to the rest of the team, you put them behind where they oughta be.
AZ was a bolt on, bolt ons gotta fit. A non starter, limited minutes —-that’s what you get. And no guarantee they will will deliver. They’re free agents, suitable for the pro game, not college.

It’s just absolutely ridiculous for a program like UConn.

Die hards love it cuz they wanna nitpick the coach and they can’t handle a single loss.

But your also going to turn off the general fan base eventually since they have absolutely no investment into those transfers.

You’re constantly working against yourself playing the transfer game.

It’s just utter nonsense and does not help the long term development of the game.

Reaction Score
The thing here is, while we can list all the players in the world who were members of the 2015 class and have at one point or another redshirtted (transfer, injury, medical, etc), making them a junior this season, the one thing we can’t determine is whether any 2016 players will be graduating in 3 years, such as Anriel Howard and Dani Williams did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not counting on a huge leap from ONO——she needs to gain weight, and then get used to the body before the real development work shows up on the court. 2nd to 3rd years I would expect it, with the “blossoming” starting later yr 3.

I expect significant jumps from Walker and Williams.

Respectively,

I would suggest the transfers at best are of very limited value. The players get what ?....move up in the draft ?

What’s the team get....not an NC.

I’d be somewhat more amenable to the idea if you could make the case that a transfer can deliver a NC, but I still wouldn’t like it. They can’t. The best they can deliver is a better tournament seeding.

Be real - That’s what you guys are talking about.

You want to sell out your program, customize your offense for one season to accommodate your transfers in order to get full value because otherwise, again, it’s not worth it. And what happens to the rest of the team, you put them behind where they oughta be.
AZ was a bolt on, bolt ons gotta fit. A non starter, limited minutes —-that’s what you get. And no guarantee they will will deliver. They’re free agents, suitable for the pro game, not college.

It’s just absolutely ridiculous for a program like UConn.

Die hards love it cuz they wanna nitpick the coach and they can’t handle a single loss.

But your also going to turn off the general fan base eventually since they have absolutely no investment into those transfers.

You’re constantly working against yourself playing the transfer game.

It’s just utter nonsense and does not help the long term development of the game.
Desperate times require desperate measures. Per your suggestion, if Liv doesn’t develop next year, and the Huskies get very little out of Kyla, Molly & Mikayla, and freshman Aubrey Griffin is just not ready yet, UConn will be playing 3 on 5 basketball. That will make for a very long and difficult season at UConn. So my question to you is simple. If next year at this time, UConn has 5-6 losses or more, and all but whiffs again on top 2020 HS grads because UConn is no longer viewed as a top destination for WBB, will you still be opposed to propping up the program with a couple key transfers?

Reaction Score
Friendly reminder that UConn will still have one of the highest ranked rosters in the country next season, will still have two #1 recruits, and six 5*. If Geno loses 5-6 games (given that they play in the American) I’d be a little disappointed in either a. his ability to develop some of the players or b. his ability to win games without 7+ 5*. So many teams out there win without all that talent.

Reaction Score
Desperate times require desperate measures. Per your suggestion, if Liv doesn’t develop next year, and the Huskies get very little out of Kyla, Molly & Mikayla, and freshman Aubrey Griffin is just not ready yet, UConn will be playing 3 on 5 basketball. That will make for a very long and difficult season at UConn. So my question to you is simple. If next year at this time, UConn has 5-6 losses or more, and all but whiffs again on top 2020 HS grads because UConn is no longer viewed as a top destination for WBB, will you still be opposed to propping up the program with a couple key transfers?
Dude, you bring up good points. While we could be "3 on 5" next year, those 3 are good enough for UConn to still be a top 10 team. Just as Notre Dame came back from a few average (for them) years, doubt it would affect recruiting, good or bad. Its been only 3 seasons since we won 4 National Championships in row. While I never have been a big supporter of transfers, next year is a perfect year. We need 1-2 bigs and a solid shooting point guard and have the minutes a transfer may like.

Reaction Score
Per your suggestion, if Liv doesn’t develop next year, and the Huskies get very little out of Kyla, Molly & Mikayla, and freshman Aubrey Griffin is just not ready yet, UConn will be playing 3 on 5 basketball.
If we play 3 on 5 with Coombs, Griffin, and Nelson-Ododa, there is an issue. Not that they need to be superstars next year, but two HIGHLY ranked talents in Coombs, being an upperclassman, and Nelson-Ododa, being a soph, should be ready to be adequate role players.

Reaction Score
Yes

I would argue that as far as UConn is concerned the program is Geno and CD. It’s elite because they are elite.

What you are saying in reality is the changing of the landscape in types of kids that are coming up, and the rise of transfers, is an environment that they cannot complete in and keep the level of success they have enjoyed.

I say nonsense. The Taurasi’s, Sales, Moore’s and Stewart’s will still be attracted by Geno and CD. The best are driven to be the best. Lobo came for Geno, Taurasi came for Geno.

The sun will come up and life will go on, and still be just as much fun.

On another level however, I would offer this, what are the 2 biggest separators between the men’s and women’s game that makes the women’s game attractive ?

First I would suggest the below the rim game itself, that should be self evident.

But second I would suggest that the lack of one and done’s in the women’s game makes it just as different. Fans have an opportunity to make an investment into the players they root for in a way that the men’s game does not offer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Friendly reminder that UConn will still have one of the highest ranked rosters in the country next season, will still have two #1 recruits, and six 5*. If Geno loses 5-6 games (given that they play in the American) I’d be a little disappointed in either a. his ability to develop some of the players or b. his ability to win games without 7+ 5*. So many teams out there win without all that talent.
You are absolutely correct. What is troubling me is that frequently this season when Geno tries to play 1 or 2 reserves with the starters, execution drops off considerably. There is only so much UConn will get from Kyla and Molly. Mikayla remains an enigma. Aubrey has a tremendous upside, but she’ll just be a freshman.

Absent transfers, the key to success next year will be Liv’s development. While I believe she will ultimately be a great player at UConn, she basically missed her entire jr yr in HS + AAU ball, and has a lot of work to do to have a “college ready” game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
recruiting a 2019 player like ESPN #49 Faith Masonius would have made this conversation less necessary.......really good skills, fundamentally sound, great basketball IQ and better teammate....always loved UConn where her brother was a UConn hockey player....instead she'll be playing at Maryland next season..
Should have know the answer to UCONN's recruiting issues is a player from New Jersey. :eek::eek:. So Maryland lowest ranked recruit in the 2019 class is the answer for UCONN? Really surprised you didn't throw out Diamond Millers name also.

Reaction Score
Should have know the answer to UCONN's recruiting issues is a player from New Jersey. :eek::eek:. So Maryland lowest ranked recruit in the 2019 class is the answer for UCONN? Really surprised you didn't throw out Diamond Millers name also.

make all the comments you like, I go with the kids I know and I know she can play......................she's won everything there is to win in NJ against the best competition and while you're now checking to see if kids have criminal records and why they failed failed out of school I'm talking about a great kid, great family with a 4.0 GPA and a 96 five star ESPN rating...........

Reaction Score
Has Geno or any other UConn coach indicated they are still recruiting for the 2019 class? .....( grad transfer/ transfer, HS, JUCO) I doubt they want to go into next year with the current roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has Geno or any other UConn coach indicated they are still recruiting for the 2019 class? .....( grad transfer/ transfer, HS, JUCO) I doubt they want to go into next year with the current roster.
Yes.
In Auriemma’s view, recruiting has become “too corporate; too many people involved in the process.” But he also remains convinced that he will stock UConn’s roster next season with top-shelf talent, perhaps including graduate transfers and international players.
NYT December 2nd 2018.
Is UConn’s Dominance of Women’s Basketball Over? Cue Eye Rolls, for Now

Reaction Score
recruiting a 2019 player like ESPN #49 Faith Masonius would have made this conversation less necessary.......really good skills, fundamentally sound, great basketball IQ and better teammate....always loved UConn where her brother was a UConn hockey player....instead she'll be playing at Maryland next season..

I think Brenda did one of her better jobs in recruiting the two New Jersey girls (Masonius and Diamond Miller). I think Kiah Gillespie is really happy at FSU. There she is the go to player, something that she will not be at UConn.

As far as problem players, there have been several example of so called problems players turning it around at another college. Two that comes to mind are Angel McCoughtry and Demauria (Dee) Liles. McCoughtry's accomplishments are well known. Dee Liles committed to Maryland from high school. Didn't qualify and wound up making JUCO POY. She was signed by Maryland and help lead them to an ACC title plus the Elite 8 (where they lost to of all people McCoughtry and Louisville). Grades and other issues lead her to not return to Maryland for her senior season.

Reaction Score
I think Brenda did one of her better jobs in recruiting the two New Jersey girls (Masonius and Diamond Miller). I think Kiah Gillespie is really happy at FSU. There she is the go to player, something that she will not be at UConn.

As far as problem players, there have been several example of so called problems players turning it around at another college. Two that comes to mind are Angel McCoughtry and Demauria (Dee) Liles. McCoughtry's accomplishments are well known. Dee Liles committed to Maryland from high school. Didn't qualify and wound up making JUCO POY. She was signed by Maryland and help lead them to an ACC title plus the Elite 8 (where they lost to of all people McCoughtry and Louisville). Grades and other issues lead her to not return to Maryland for her senior season.

My daughter covered Miller last year in the TOCs and she is a handful with a super competitive attitude that Mary;and fans will love....................I have no idea why UConn has no interest in her......................Masonius is solid, a real glue player that should thrive at the next level................. ...........................What are the odds of UConn taking a risk on such a "troubled" player like AM? It goes against their entire recruiting philosophy and would really show either a change in philosophy or a real sense of desperation.........

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom