• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You've never been to Georgetown? It's in a city that is half African-American.

As usual, you don't know WTF you're talking about
I've been to Georgetown. It's a school with a small black population in a neighborhood with a really small black population.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize UConn had so few black students.

At PSU it's a notorious problem. It's been as low as 2% recently.

Centre Cty is just so far from anywhere. Storrs is not isolated at all by comparison
I wouldn't say UConn has so few black students. It's student population is pretty in line with the racial breakdown of the state and has a significantly higher black student population than several other state schools I can think of who have a significantly higher black state population than CT does.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize UConn had so few black students.

At PSU it's a notorious problem. It's been as low as 2% recently.

Centre Cty is just so far from anywhere. Storrs is not isolated at all by comparison
Interesting 3 out of the 4 national champions for Penn state wrestling were black.

Reaction Score
You understand that if anything happens there will surely be a new thread the second it happens, right?

Just use a little self control and don't click on the thread
"a little self control"

that wasn't nice. I said not a thing that was sarcastic or rude. No a cheap shots.

That is all. I will take your advice and not click this thread again.

No need to get ugly

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well this went off the rails. The demographics of these places aren't the issue. History matters. Ours has helped Hurley get guys he could not get at another local "flagship" New England University, URI.

Shrewsbury knew he'd have a better chance of sustaining his success at Notre Dame. Why on earth would anybody choose Lexington Kentucky over Vanderbilt in Nashville unless that history and the support it brings was driving it.

This applies to football too. It can be built, but it's hard. We know, we watched Jim Calhoun do it. What Snyder did at K-State was incredible. So yes, Shrewsbury could have tried, but most coaches won't do that. Edsall bailed on us and we are concerned that Mora will do the same. Honestly, if he's really good here, my concern is that LSU will come for him. Maybe Georgia Tech.

The point, as pertains to this thread is that if you have more $, you at least have a chance to level pay those coaches and keep them. In the Big East we really have no chance to do that.

Reaction Score
As of this morning 6/9/2023 twitter rumors are a b12 invite is imminent for UConn to join as a full member. The BE stay or go have been discussed ad infinitum so people have pretty much made up their mind. IMHO, if and when a b12 invite comes, UConn will accept the offer. As a BB fan, this a a great decision for the university and the UConn athletic department. I believe in Coach Mora and go by what he said. HC Mora never came to UConn for the money, he will be here. He will win at UConn. Same for HC Hurley he is not going anywhere.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shrewsbury knew he'd have a better chance of sustaining his success at Notre Dame.
Very true. What I find most humorous is how those knocking Penn St on this transaction (and attempting to use it as evidence that the income disparity between P-5 and all others is not relevant) are implying that he left a P-5 school for a mid-major. He went from one P-5 to another

Reaction Score
Well this went off the rails. The demographics of these places aren't the issue. History matters. Ours has helped Hurley get guys he could not get at another local "flagship" New England University, URI.

Shrewsbury knew he'd have a better chance of sustaining his success at Notre Dame. Why on earth would anybody choose Lexington Kentucky over Vanderbilt in Nashville unless that history and the support it brings was driving it.

This applies to football too. It can be built, but it's hard. We know, we watched Jim Calhoun do it. What Snyder did at K-State was incredible. So yes, Shrewsbury could have tried, but most coaches won't do that. Edsall bailed on us and we are concerned that Mora will do the same. Honestly, if he's really good here, my concern is that LSU will come for him. Maybe Georgia Tech.

The point, as pertains to this thread is that if you have more $, you at least have a chance to level pay those coaches and keep them. In the Big East we really have no chance to do that.
It just seems silly, these are all the same things that were said 10 years ago on this board when UConn found itself in the AAC. Big East basketball is finished forever, those schools will never again be able to compete, UConn is better off now, Big East schools can't pay for coaching etc. Here we are years later with 3 more Big East national championships in men's basketball and the Big East has the best collection of coaches in the country.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I've been getting deja vu.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It just seems silly, these are all the same things that were said 10 years ago on this board when UConn found itself in the AAC. Big East basketball is finished forever, those schools will never again be able to compete, UConn is better off now, Big East schools can't pay for coaching etc. Here we are years later with 3 more Big East national championships in men's basketball and the Big East has the best collection of coaches in the country.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I've been getting deja vu.
I'm not talking about the basketball coach. We have fundamental advantages there. It's a job people want, so you have to pay, but not overpay. This is why I think Neptune was such a bad hire, he's the guy you hire if you have no advantages. Same with Ollie and I said so when we hired him. Get an experienced proven winner, because you can.

I'm talking about Mora and whoever comes after him. We hired multiple bad coaches, including RE 2.0 simply because he was super cheap. That will continue if we don't move up. Probably Penders too, honestly. He's a loyal guy, but the next guy? Do we realize what a miracle it was that we got Baylock and then Penders?

Reaction Score
As of this morning 6/9/2023 twitter rumors are a b12 invite is imminent for UConn to join as a full member. The BE stay or go have been discussed ad infinitum so people have pretty much made up their mind. IMHO, if and when a b12 invite comes, UConn will accept the offer. As a BB fan, this a a great decision for the university and the UConn athletic department. I believe in Coach Mora and go by what he said. HC Mora never came to UConn for the money, he will be here. He will win at UConn. Same for HC Hurley he is not going anywhere.
im praying you are correct

Reaction Score
Do they teach reading at PC? Apparently not. I wrote in the OP that PSU is 3 1/2 hours from cities in the middle of nowhere with a 2-5% black student body, and this has always been the problem for basketball. Georgetown is the exact opposite of this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What is deemed valuable to streaming is all that matters going forward. Streaming is the future, and the model is radically different from a cable based model. When the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland, it wanted to get the BTN on cable boxes in Maryland and in New York. It basically wanted to make everyone in New Jersey and NYC to have to pay them for the BTN, whether they actually watched the BTN or not. Those days are coming to an end. Everyone is going to a subscription streaming service, and even the streaming resellers like Hulu and Youtube are not forcing people to pay for channels they don't want. It won't be long before even ESPN is not on the basic packages with cable providers. The BTN's days of being forced out to people who don't want it are definitely numbered.

In the cable revenue model, a case could be made that Ruttie was as valuable as Michigan, because New Jersey and New York are huge, wealthy markets, and some percentage of them would stop on the BTN if they were getting it as part of their basic sports package. But in the future, how many subscriptions is Ruttie going to drive, compared to say, Michigan? How long before that is a problem for Michigan?

It really makes one wonder what the Big 10 was thinking with the most recent expansion, because the fanbases do not get more casual than UCLA's and USC's. How many of them are going to shell out extra to sign up for a subscription service in the future, especially when UCLA is playing Minnesota and Iowa, who southern Californians will definitely not care about? I get adding the LA schools if you are going after cable boxes, but unless the Big 10 has a time machine, that model is dying rapidly. On the other hand, I do expect UCLA and USC to be powerhouses in an NIL and Transfer portal world, so maybe it was not that bad of a move.

Reaction Score
This may have been discussed here, but the Big 12 is much more appealing if the ACC fell apart and Pitt, Syracuse, and maybe Louisville go the the Big 12. It would give the Big 12 a true eastern presence and not have UConn as an outlier.

The consensus has been if the powers of the ACC (Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC) go to the SEC or B1G that the remains of the ACC will grab UConn and few others to keep a small league together. However, if the Big 12 can revive the Pitt/WVU rivalry, some of the old BE/AAC teams, and maybe some remnant ACC teams it is a much more appealing major conference.

Big 12 West - Houston, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, OSU, Kansas, K State, Iowa St, (Maybe Colorado and/or Arizona)
Big 12 East - UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Cincy, UCF, Va Tech, Louisville, (Maybe Wake, NC State, Duke)

Can always dream

DGB

Reaction Score
Is this new?
No. It's also very misleading. The tweet mentions the yearly 50-ish million deficit on top of the 30 million dollar exit fee in a way that makes it seem like leaving the big east will cost more money and build on the deficit.

The tweet conveniently leaves out that Big 12 members make between 40 and 50 million on media rights per year, while big east members make about seven million. Even at an initial period of a half share in the Big 12, the big east exit fee would be paid off in the first year and change, and the difference between the Big 12 money and big east money cut the deficit. Long term, at a full share, it will damn near wipe it out.

The whole point of all of this is UConn runs a power 5 type athletic department on a seven million dollar a year media contract. To run this type of department you need about 50 million, which is what a power 5 media contract will get you. UConn doesn't get power 5 money from the big east...hence the deficit. Math.

A more honest tweet would read..."UConn's athletic department is currently running a 53 million dollar deficit. In order to remedy this they need to become a full share member of a power 5 conference. If the Big 12 is offering this, they need to jump on it immediately or every sport will eventually suffer."

Reaction Score
No, and debt isn't the right term.

Correct, debt implies we still owe that money when it is in fact paid for by other sources of revenue on a yearly basis so there is no debt.

The correct term would be yearly AD deficit paid for other sources of revenue, and the deficit would shrink with B12 revenue. Paying the 30 million Big East exit fee would more than pay for itself in just two years.

Facts never seem to matter when discussing UConn, just kick dirt on us whenever possible.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom