• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMO, the Big12 (or ACC) would not be the end goal. The end goal is to get on the lifeboat when the “top” universities breakaway from the NCAA / wrestle away full control of it.

Being in either the B1G or SEC guarantees schools a spot.

Being in the Big12, ACC or PAC puts you in line for a spot (how many make the cut TBD, but probably 16-24)

Anyone else is probably going down with the ship.

The Big12 isn’t the end goal. It’s about positioning ourself for the next moves after that… either as a stepping stone into a B1G expansion to 16/20 team or to be included if the power schools break away. That’s how I’m looking at all this.

It’s not about basketball vs football. And we can’t change our geography, so it’s not worth debating the value of that… It’s about brand power and perception when the final decisions are made. Being viewed as a school with peers of Seton Hall, Providence and Butler will not help that perception during consideration. But having peers like Oklahoma State, Kansas, Virginia, UNC, etc. would.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why not just move football to the Big 12 and play everything else in the Big East? Agree to 2 games a year or something for both hoops teams.

One move I think should be explored is having the Big East offer to absorb all the ACC schools. This gets the ACC out of their long-term contract, and creates a potential basketball behemoth. It might get ESPN to jump and renegotiate the ACC deal to prevent it from happening, which is also a win for the ACC. Maybe the Big East gets a break up fee like 10% of the incremental contract for helping the ACC out.
Quote: "Why not just move football to the Big 12 and play everything else in the Big East?"

Are you serious? Do you really think the Big 12 would extend a football-only invitation to UConn? Delusions of grandeur.

Another quote: "One move I think should be explored is having the Big East offer to absorb all the ACC schools." More delusions of grandeur.

Reaction Score
This. And I absolutely love big East basketball. But for the entirety of the athletic department the move is a no brainer
So you think the golf team and field hockey would really like flying to Lubbock for those Tuesday afternoon matches?

Reaction Score
Hurley came here from URI, he was in a much different position to take or not take a job. There were no promises, but I'm sure Hurley knew what the university's plan was. Compare that, the possibility of going to the Big East with his school throwing that away to ship us out to the Midwest...there's no way he stays, especially when he could take almost any other job he wants. And while that's true that he could do the same now, I believe the allure of UConn and the Big East is too much for him to walk away from for anything short of the NBA.
We get an additional 25 mil for joining the Big 12 the first thing Benedict should do is double Hurley’s salary. He will stay

Reaction Score
It would be a mistake. Their two best programs are leaving, so who knows what the league would even look like when we get there? We have absolutely no cultural connection to the league. I know the AAC stunk comparatively, but being in a league where your school doesn't fit culturally is a bigger problem than most people think. Even the good schools from the AAC like Cincinnati and Houston, there's no juice there.

The other big issue is that leaving the Big East is going to weaken our program. No more rivalries with any kind of history. It'll change the kinds of players we recruit, and not by choice, but because a lot of the players we go after want to play in the Big East and in MSG in March. I'm not naive enough to think we're going to stay in the Big East forever, but does the Big 12 make sense long-term?

Right now we're in a great fit. Ditching that for a bad fit when the whole college landscape is likely to change in 10-15 years anyway is foolish.
One suggested correction: This would be a HUGE mistake.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is the best basketball conference in the country. Stop comparing it to the AAC
Meh. Kansas and Baylor are the only programs that move the needle. The rest of them are capable of making noise every once in awhile, but they will never be true basketball powerhouses nationally.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Meh. Kansas and Baylor are the only programs that move the needle. The rest of them are capable of making noise every once in awhile, but they will never be true basketball powerhouses nationally.
They move the needle to the tune of like $50M per year. You are looking at the wrong needles.

I would add WVU would be fun to play, Cinci is fine and Houston is having a moment. KSU has a great coach, and OSU has been pretty consistent long-term.

Reaction Score
You could say the same about UConn and Villanova RE: Big East
That's true, which is why the move wouldn't be an upgrade in basketball imo. It would be a lateral move. Obviously the money will be too much to pass up so we will end up leaving if we get an invite. To me, it's still B1G or stay put.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 isn't what it used to be with Texas and Oklahoma leaving. With both of them leaving, gone are their fans, students and whole crapload of money that BYU, Cincy, UCF and Houston isn't going to or even come close to replacing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So, if the SEC added UConn basketball, Villanova, St. John's and Gonzaga it would implode?
That has nothing to do with the sustainability of a hybrid conference. I'll go so far as to say that the scenario that you proposed reinforces the limited shelf life of a hybrid conference.

While the product may have been great for the fans during the years the 16 schools were together, there wasn't one member school that wasn't looking forward to the day that situation ended. All eight football members (and ND) were looking to move to a better home (some succeeded). The C-7 were biding there time, waiting for the day they would no longer need to cater to football members but were also horrified when they found out ND had discussions with some football members about the possibility of remaining with them (as a non football member) post split, which would have screwed the C-7 over royally.

Reaction Score
IMO, the Big12 (or ACC) would not be the end goal. The end goal is to get on the lifeboat when the “top” universities breakaway from the NCAA / wrestle away full control of it.

Being in either the B1G or SEC guarantees schools a spot.

Being in the Big12, ACC or PAC puts you in line for a spot (how many make the cut TBD, but probably 16-24)

Anyone else is probably going down with the ship.

The Big12 isn’t the end goal. It’s about positioning ourself for the next moves after that… either as a stepping stone into a B1G expansion to 16/20 team or to be included if the power schools break away. That’s how I’m looking at all this.

It’s not about basketball vs football. And we can’t change our geography, so it’s not worth debating the value of that… It’s about brand power and perception when the final decisions are made. Being viewed as a school with peers of Seton Hall, Providence and Butler will not help that perception during consideration. But having peers like Oklahoma State, Kansas, Virginia, UNC, etc. would.
Our brand power has nothing to do with our conference mates. Our recruiting will take a down turn if we were to move to the big 12, which hurts basketball, our real brand. I have nothing to feel but skepticism regarding football until winning becomes consistent, and there’s absolutely no reason to believe that we are anything but a dreg in the Big 12, which would hurt us further. Being an 8-win independent when the decisions are made would be much more acceptable. The literal only reason to move to the big 12 is money, which will be very short term; with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, that conference is screwed. So we will be back where we were in the AAC.

Best to just continue success in basketball in the region and conference that best supports it, and let Mora do what he can with football. That’s what will make us most appealing.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Our brand power has nothing to do with our conference mates. Our recruiting will take a down turn if we were to move to the big 12, which hurts basketball, our real brand. I have nothing to feel but skepticism regarding football until winning becomes consistent, and there’s absolutely no reason to believe that we are anything but a dreg in the Big 12, which would hurt us further. Being an 8-win independent when the decisions are made would be much more acceptable. The literal only reason to move to the big 12 is money, which will be very short term; with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, that conference is screwed. So we will be back where we were in the AAC.

Best to just continue success in basketball in the region and conference that best supports it, and let Mora do what he can with football. That’s what will make us most appealing.
Bleed money and hope isn't a plan. You take the money, and invest the money to improve.

Reaction Score
Quote: "Why not just move football to the Big 12 and play everything else in the Big East?"

Are you serious? Do you really think the Big 12 would extend a football-only invitation to UConn?
What drives the P5? Football.

If the B12 expands it is based on football.

It’s reasonable to think that if the B12 wanted UConn Football, it may consider taking UConn for football only.

It would be the best position for UConn to remain in the Big East and to have its football in the B12, even with the uncertain future of the B12.

Reaction Score

It’s reasonable to think that if the B12 wanted UConn Football, it may consider taking UConn for football only.

It would be the best position for UConn to remain in the Big East and to have its football in the B12, even with the uncertain future of the B12.
why would a P5 leave UConn BB on the table?

Reaction Score

Big 12 is actively trying to become the best bb conference. Their new commissioner sees the BB side as currently undervalued. It would be ideal for UConn but not the Big 12.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
If we get the invite were going, and we should. We would be making the same money as if we went to the ACC, but at least there would be stability in the B12. Also, If the 7 or 8 Schools leave the ACC or form a new conference, the other 6 will be looking for a lifeboat and there will be one less spot at B12 if we grab it first. When BC/Miami/VTech left we didn't take realignment seriously and we need to be proactive and cannot wait for the ACC to implode. Also the Big East is great now, but as NIL and Media Money start to grow, it will hurt the conference.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 isn't what it used to be with Texas and Oklahoma leaving. With both of them leaving, gone are their fans, students and whole crapload of money that BYU, Cincy, UCF and Houston isn't going to or even come close to replacing.
Well, ESPN and FOX disagree with you completely. The Big 12 currently gets $220M per year. In 2025, their media deal jumps to $380M per year. Without Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

Yes, football drives the P5 bus, but football doesn't drive UConn's bus. UConn is, by choice, a basketball school in a basketball-centric conference. UConn football is an afterthought, mired in mediocrity.

It simply isn't reasonable to think that the Big 12 would find UConn football attractive as a stand-alone entity. Neither would any other so-called power conference. If the Big 12 expands, it will be with schools, perhaps including UConn, which bring or commit anew to a more balanced and complete athletic profile. Even then, geography isn't UConn's friend.

The Big 12 doesn't exist to provide what some UConn fans might think or hope is best for UConn. If you want "power" money, you have to earn it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hypothetically, where do you see Hurley going if he is in fact so tied to coaching a northeast team in a northeast league? Georgetown, Providence, St. John's just hired new coaches, and Seton Hall and Villanova have guys entering their second year.

I could see him leaving for the SUNJ job but Pike seems pretty entrenched there, and its also a Midwestern league.

I'm not saying he would only consider Northeast jobs, but that the fact that we're the premiere program in the Northeast, and in the Big East, is a major factor in his loyalty to our school when others come calling. Take away the Big East and that weakens his incentive to stay. That doesn't mean I expect him to jump for the first Northeast school with an opening, but it just opens the door for him to go elsewhere, when right now I'm not sure he would leave us for any other college program.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he would only consider Northeast jobs, but that the fact that we're the premiere program in the Northeast, and in the Big East, is a major factor in his loyalty to our school when others come calling. Take away the Big East and that weakens his incentive to stay. That doesn't mean I expect him to jump for the first Northeast school with an opening, but it just opens the door for him to go elsewhere, when right now I'm not sure he would leave us for any other college program.
Man I’m telling you for the 4th time. This makes zero sense. You’re jumping to this ridiculous conclusion with no evidence. It’s an irrational fear not based on anything he’s ever said or done

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom