• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The Big East plays a true round-robin, as does the Big 12. But with the increased size of the Big 12, how can they keep that up? Especially with 16 teams. Impossible.
Do the math for 16 teams. UConn would play three teams 2x and twelve teams 1x for 18 games.

I imagine they would look at 20 or 22 game schedule for $$

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They are doing it, so yes.

They're doing it because they don't have the leverage folks say they do. The leagues call the shots. No matter how hard people want that not to be true, its been borne out to be true over and over and over and over and over again.

Reaction Score
"to smoke out anyone looking to leave" That's hysterical! Gee, who could that be.

elf GIF
That's for other Big East schools, not UConn. We already have our own ridiculously high exit fee. So what other schools do they think might be leaving? What are they hearing?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The latest example- instead of another SEC league game, one more cupcake remains. Do you think ESPN wants to air Alabama-Samford or Alabama-not Samford? And to get it, they're gonna have to pay more. Because thats what the SEC says, and what they say goes.

Your point is that ESPN and Fox are babes in the woods and couldn’t foresee this, which is nonsensical.

They signed contracts that allow everything that you are describing to happen because they were still OK with it.

You apparently think these publicly traded companies are not represented by competent legal and business advisors and are signing contracts they don’t like and that lose money.

You are also ignoring that TV networks destroyed the Big East and are in the process of destroying the PAC-12.

Just take the L on this point and move on.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That's for other Big East schools. We already have a separate exit fee.
The bylaws say our exit fee is $30mil or the current big east exit fee for other members whichever is greater. Hopefully we can get the ink dry by the end of the month.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Your point is that ESPN and Fox are babes in the woods and couldn’t foresee this, which is nonsensical.

They signed contracts that allow everything that you are describing to happen because they were still OK with it.

You apparently think these publicly traded companies are not represented by competent legal and business advisors and are signing contracts they don’t like and that lose money.

You are also ignoring that TV networks destroyed the Big East and are in the process of destroying the PAC-12.

Just take the L on this point and move on.

They can forsee it, sure, but they sure as heck aren't rooting for it. It costs them more money for largely the same stuff they've already got the rights to! Why the heck would they want that!

FOX/CBS/Disney/etc would love to not have pro ratas in the contracts. But they have to. Why? Because if they say no, somebody else will agree to give it to them. And you can't not have either the SEC or Big Ten rights. This is a part of what's playing out with the Big 12, where ESPN has agreed to the increase but FOX hasn't, so the Big 12 is trying to force the league to a bigger spot where they've got to go with it too.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Providence improved because the league got weaker. They never did anything in the NCAA tournament.
I agree with that somewhat but Seton Hall got screwed the Covid year when they didn't have the tournaments as did Creighton. Seton Hall was very good with Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington as well despite not having tournament success.

Reaction Score
That's for other Big East schools, not UConn. We already have our own ridiculously high exit fee. So what other schools do they think might be leaving? What are they hearing?
That was my exact thought after I posted. Which schools will vote against it because they may be valuable to another P5 conferece/Big 12.

Reaction Score
That was my exact thought after I posted. Which schools will vote against it because they may be valuable to another P5 conferece/Big 12.
Maybe there is some merit to Big East teams leaving for the Big XII. Aaron Torres tweet about us being part of a larger picture would then make a lot more sense.

IMO it still doesn't make sense for us to leave unless we really expect other east coast teams to help with the travel burden

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because, once again, as I have said for 15 years and been proven to be correct repeatedly: the conferences call the shots, not the TV leagues.
Perhaps, but the media broadcast partners decide whether or not to pay for any addition and ultimately that is a critical that conferences use in making "their" realignment decisions.

CL82

Reaction Score
They're doing it because they don't have the leverage folks say they do. The leagues call the shots. No matter how hard people want that not to be true, its been borne out to be true over and over and over and over and over again.
And yet Ron DeFilippis expressly said "ESPN told us what to do."

I guess he was lying?

Reaction Score
And yet Ron DeFilippis expressly said "ESPN told us what to do."

I guess he was lying?
Gene DeFilippo.

FWIW he later apologized and took back what he said.

CL82

Reaction Score
Gene DeFilippo.

Yeah, him!

:oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gene DeFilippo.

Probably got scolded for saying it out loud.

CL82

Reaction Score
Probably got scolded for saying it out loud.
Exactly. The "retraction" came after two days of blow back.

Reaction Score
I really don’t care about any of those teams aside from Kansas, and none of them are going to care about us (except maybe Cinci).
Why do so many here continue to think so little of us. Every team we play will highlight playing us and be extremely fired up to beat the 5 time national champions. Playing in Gampel will be a thrill for them. As Buzz Williams said when asked what his favorite arenas are, “ any gym with multiple national championship banners”

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This is categorically untrue. I've read countless scoops over the years here.
And a broken clock is right twice a day.

There's no such thing as a "scoop."

There's official announcements, and then there's silly soap opera henny penny bullcrap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom