• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Why do you care about money? LOL . I don't get why anyone in CT cares about money. It aint your pocket. If you live in CT do you think your tax dollars will be reduced because we get better TV money for a few years from Big 12? If you do, you're an idiot.

Conversely, do you think the state will let the flagship programs of the flagship university die without Football money? Nope they won't. And before you say well thats unavoidable, I guess we would be in sinking ship with 300 other D1 teams.

Get a grip.

I'm willing to go down with the ship. We will be better off, because Football is NEVER saving the University of CONNECTICUT.

Why is this so hard?
I don't like how some are pretending a move to the Big 12 benefits UConn basketball in the short term but to pretend the money doesn't matter is crazy, money always matters.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Football attendance could be zero if the checks cash. Who cares about money?! None of us here are donating enough for huge payouts not to matter. Money is just an imaginary construct lol

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think there is a material chance that the Pac 12 is playing footsie with the Big 12 to shake a better offer out of Apple, and if they get it, Colorado is not going anywhere. In fact, the Pac 12 calls to the big 12 will start going the other direction.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football attendance could be zero if the checks cash. Who cares about money?! None of us here are donating enough for huge payouts not to matter. Money is just an imaginary construct lol

"Money is just an imaginary construct" is not happening, no matter how hard you try.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One thing I will say, it is kind of annoying seeing all these people who spend 90% of their time on the football board come over here and call us morons for not being in love with this move.

Reaction Score
1. Because we've been the perpetual whippping boy of conference realignment and having us stay in the BE keeps us that way.

2. If we stay in the Big East, it keeps open a slot for that reporters favorite team moving up / over.

3. It is apparently what half our own fan base wants to here.

4. They don't have to cut the checks around here.
I’m talking about people assessing what the best move is for uconn. The field of 68 knows they’re not cutting the checks for the UConn AD - they’re citing reasons as to why staying in the BE makes sense. Same with Not a Dime Back Pod. Same with Trilly Donovan. These also aren’t fan boards like Arizona St creating headlines saying UConn shouldn’t go as a master plan to get them into the Big 12.

Reaction Score
You cannot pick and choose where to send your athletic programs.

The Big East does not offer football, so we could put the football program wherever we wanted. If it did, we would either have to join it or remain independent. We could not, say, send football to the MAC and keep everything else in the Big East.

Notre Dame is a member of the ACC. Their football is independent.
That’s what UMass wanted to do with the A10.

Reaction Score
Name your others? Iowa St? You pumped for Kansas Football? Yay Texas Tech!

Tesxas and Oklahoma aren't here to actually make this any different than the AAC we joined a decade ago
Are you talking about football or basketball?

If you're talking football, this is an upgrade.

If you're talking basketball, this is an ungrade.

What's lost is rivalries with 5 teams in the northeast.

Reaction Score
One thing I will say, it is kind of annoying seeing all these people who spend 90% of their time on the football board come over here and call us morons for not being in love with this move.
I wouldn't call anyone a moron but its clear some here view the FB program as a problem they'd rather do without. If there was no FB program, this wouldn't be an issue. But to operate FB like they did those Edsall 2.0 years, was an abomination. Edsall had no buyout and his assistants were paid in Big Y tokens.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Exactly.

Thank you for making my point. No one donates enough money (read cares enough) for UConn football to ever matter, ever. (especially in NIL era) So lets torpedo everything else because........ why again?

I already said, Id go to B1G tomorrow. Numerous times. Everyone is happy. Im even more comfortable with AAC castoffs in 12 years. (for our Football and Athletics). Big12 (in my opinion) is not the answer its a terrible move. And no one knows how this will look in 10 more years. The people saying " oooh man we better take a big12 offer in 2023 so we are positioned to be one of the schools that make the cut in a decade" have no basis for knowing ANYTHING about that because if I told you 10 years ago we'd be begging to get in the Big12 everyone wouldve said "no way". The people running this stuff are buttholes. There is no plan, you think UCLA was a Big10 school 10 years ago? Hell even 5. Be honest.

Then why the hell shouldnt we watch this shake out as a BigEast member?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I’m talking about people assessing what the best move is for uconn. The field of 68 knows they’re not cutting the checks for the UConn AD - they’re citing reasons as to why staying in the BE makes sense. Same with Not a Dime Back Pod. Same with Trilly Donovan. These also aren’t fan boards like Arizona St creating headlines saying UConn shouldn’t go as a master plan to get them into the Big 12.
I missed a few more reasons:

1. the writer started from a premise and built articles around it.

2. the writer is nostalgic for a time that was (Not a Dime Back)

3. the writer has an incentive to see the BE stay together and UConn to be bought on the cheap.

Setting aside even money, there is no logic to UConn staying in a conference that doesn’t sponsor all its sports, with a batch of small, religious based schools.

August_West

Reaction Score

Let me put this out there now, so no one tries to make this point to me again. The Big12 in this day and age is a fantastic Basketball league. No doubt. Best in country for the very recent past. All credit there.

We don't belong there. It doesnt' help OUR Basketball program at this frozen moment in time. Could change, sure. But not now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Why do you care about money? LOL . I don't get why anyone in CT cares about money. It aint your pocket. If you live in CT do you think your tax dollars will be reduced because we get better TV money for a few years from Big 12? If you do, you're an idiot.

Conversely, do you think the state will let the flagship programs of the flagship university die without Football money? Nope they won't. And before you say well thats unavoidable, I guess we would be in sinking ship with 300 other D1 teams.

Get a grip.

I'm willing to go down with the ship. We will be better off, because Football is NEVER saving the University of CONNECTICUT.

Why is this so hard?
You don't think UConn's athletics deficit affects your pocket? Or rising tuition rates

August_West

Reaction Score
You don't think UConn's athletics deficit affects your pocket? Or rising tuition rates
Nope.

They dont. Rising tuition rates? I have a kid in college, do you think UConn is more expensive than any other State university of a New England state, and they dont even have Athletics programs you could sniff at.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I would disagree that it's an upgrade for basketball. The difference in talent between the two conferences will be offset by the travel and lack of rivalries. Nobody is going to care about a non-top 25 game against TCU or Iowa State. I don't think it's a huge drop, but those things do matter.

Reaction Score
I have taken a step back and think it’s conceivable that the major media players do not want a P2. It decreases their bargaining leverage versus the B1G and SEC.

Thus having a third conference (maybe one that’s strongest in bb) will help their future negotiations.

So come on down “the college basketball capital” as a full member in what undoubtedly will be the top bb conference and pretty damn good in fb.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call anyone a moron but its clear some here view the FB program as a problem they'd rather do without. If there was no FB program, this wouldn't be an issue. But to operate FB like they did those Edsall 2.0 years, was an abomination. Edsall had no buyout and his assistants were paid in Big Y tokens.

Yeah personally I like football, but not enough to damage the crown jewel of the athletics department.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Venn Diagram between A) The posters who spent the last 10 years trashing the Big East while saying that the AAC was the right option for UConn, and B) the posters pounding the table to join the Big 12 (which could dissolve within 5 years), is a perfect circle.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have taken a step back and think it’s conceivable that the major media players do not want a P2. It decreases their bargaining leverage versus the B1G and SEC.

Thus having a third conference (maybe one that’s strongest in bb) will help their future negotiations.

So come on down “the college basketball capital” as a full member in what undoubtedly will be the top bb conference and pretty damn good in fb.

The more I think about it, the less likely I think there is going to be a P2. In a world where networks can't decide what we all have to watch because every game is available somewhere, we are going to learn that the market for college athletics on television is a lot more fragmented than anyone thought. Every game is going to be somewhere on streaming.

Reaction Score
Yeah personally I like football, but not enough to damage the crown jewel of the athletics department.
You're just assuming it will damage BB. I refused to accept that because we floundered in a hastily cobbled G5 conference. Even there they added a natty.

Reaction Score
For the people who are so definitive on “going to the big 12 is a slam dunk and only idiots think otherwise” - why are the majority of media/reporter headlines/articles/podcasts saying or leaning towards “uconn should stay in the big east”. Most of the things I see are either stay in the big east or it’s a tough choice, but 50% of this board thinks that’s moronic. It’s the brash confidence of the pro big 12 contingent here that is the most confusing part
Because that is not an accurate depiction at all, unless you're living in a bubble that is far from the majority opinion. At best it's a 50/50 split

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Thank you for making my point. No one donates enough money (read cares enough) for UConn football to ever matter, ever. (especially in NIL era) So lets torpedo everything else because........ why again?

I already said, Id go to B1G tomorrow. Numerous times. Everyone is happy. Im even more comfortable with AAC castoffs in 12 years. (for our Football and Athletics). Big12 (in my opinion) is not the answer its a terrible move. And no one knows how this will look in 10 more years. The people saying " oooh man we better take a big12 offer in 2023 so we are positioned to be one of the schools that make the cut in a decade" have no basis for knowing ANYTHING about that because if I told you 10 years ago we'd be begging to get in the Big12 everyone wouldve said "no way". The people running this stuff are buttholes. There is no plan, you think UCLA was a Big10 school 10 years ago? Hell even 5. Be honest.

Then why the hell shouldnt we watch this shake out as a BigEast member?
Pretty simple. Because noone can ever predict the future. But you can make decisions with the best available data and hypotheses. If offered and we don’t accept, the next window appears to be when ACC GOR expires. What happens then? Clemson finds a home as does FSU,most likely Miami, the Heels and the Hoos which would leave us circle jerking with our former BE mates picking up the table scraps.

You accept now if offered because the Big 12 is emphasizing football and hoops and will most likely be the 3rd of the big 3 when the dust settles. Football, Hoops and baseball all get great homes

Is it guaranteed to be a success? Absolutely not. But is it a better alternative to waiting around and waiting in line when the ACC falls apart in ten years? Absolutely

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom