Positive spin on the newest incarnation of the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Positive spin on the newest incarnation of the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did some research on the football recruiting of the schools that would be coming in. Most of them are comparable to lower end "Power 5" schools. We even have a better recruit class coming in than Syracuse. So does just about everyone else, besides Tulane and Memphis. Even Temple is getting more 3-star recruits than Syracuse at the moment. Houston is out-recruiting Wake Forest and Colorado. Their class is one 4-star recruit short of almost matching Illinois. ECU is one 4-star and one 3-star recruit short of matching NC State. This conference is not as bad as it is being made out to be. Of course, we all want more TV revenue and prestige. It's definitely not as if we've become the Sun Belt or the MAC or what's left of the C-USA. Collectively, we also are recruiting better than much of the MWC. Tulane and Memphis have the weakest recruiting classes for 2013 by quite a margin. Tulane is out-recruiting Southern Mississippi.

There are four schools in the ACC that blow away everyone in this conference, recruiting-wise. Clemson, Florida State, UNC and Virginia Tech. UVA is a few 4-star recruits better. Let's hope we can start pulling in more 4-star recruits.

Reaction Score
Forgot Miami and Louisville. They are also a few 4-star recruits better. Just had to add them before someone goes over the edge. Just about all of ACC schools mentioned are looking for greener pastures. What would be left of the ACC would around equal with what the Big East is becoming.

Reaction Score
I just know of SNY and know they pay around $1 million for women's basketball alone. I am no pro on the TV stuff. Would have to ask someone else. My only point was that we have to make the best of what we have and it can be done. As long as we have warrior mentalities and not constantly whine. I already know the Big 4 eclipse everyone else. One of those conferences should be our end goal.
Has anoyone indicate where tier 3 rights are going to stand in the NBE tv deal? It is very important the NNNBE does not sign its tier 3 rights away as part of its tv deal like the ACC did. Losing SNY contracts would be very bad right now.

Reaction Score
the frustrating aspect in this for me is that I believe certain schools are leaving money on the table.
I think there are enough solid programs to build a solid east west split for all sports that could keep travel minimized with limited crossover games. I think such a league would be competitive for both fb and bb, and present a much better tv contract than what is currently out there for any league outside the top 5.

I agree.

But ... with limited Exit Fees, I think we are going to see another bite at this apple. Once an "Alternative" League gets set, there simply is far too much money from the ACC contract (let alone the B12, Pac12, B1G, SEC) to this NEXT level. It still is good football .,. in Major Urban market penetration.

So, once the Network execs see that UConn, Cincy et al are stable (may take a few years), then you can see a Mid-level contract that far outpaces the meager MWC offerings. Someone will fund a basic east west split National league. And the football? It will be, at times, more fun than watching the second tier B1G or SEC game.

Reaction Score
All of us are new-blood to the "upper-tier" since the BCS era started. UH, SMU, Cincinnati all were part of decent conferences before being relegated. I don't know about Temple. Tulane relegated themselves. UCF and USF are new-blood, period. Huge schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom