Position Battles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Position Battles

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So Jackson isn’t really going to be running the point?
Pssh, a forward? I can’t believe you bought that. Hurley is just screwing with us.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He has. And he’s the better defender. By a lot. Just my guess.
alex can guard guards, if forced to. samson can't, tho i wasn't expecting him to. one thing i do know, for sure, is that on inbound d pressure, alex is more able to take tyrese's side pocket role in breaking that. ya know, runnin and gunnin, swoopin and hoopin, all that.

waaay too many 'we'll sees' right now.
did x improve his shot? we'll see.
did y improve his handle? we'll see.
will there be some zone used this season? we'll see.
will donno play early and often? we'll see.
did wall player #87 improve at all? we'll see.
can transfer #1 run the show? we'll see.
can transfer #2 run the show? we'll see.
can transfer #3 hit pressure 3's? we'll see.
can transfer #4 shoot? we'll see.
will we win one tourney game? we'll see.
and what aboot richy? we'll see............

how does all this come together? does it come together?
i can see how it does, and i can see how it doesn't.
i don't know.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
More Preseason Speculation Time
We obviously know our 3 starters but beyond that there are 3 rotation battles I think will be interesting:
Samson v Karaban
Hassan v Newton
Alleyne v Calcaterra
Who do we think has more of an impact? I say Alleyne, Karajan, Newton
I think it’s possible that Hassan and Newton start alongside each other.

Newton has the biggest impact positive and negative because the ball will be in his hands so much. Karaban is going to be in the rotation because he gives us size and shooting to space the floor for Sanogo. I’ve heard Alleyne hasn’t been shooting well. He’s the biggest question mark.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Coach gets a couple of surprisingly good stretches where he can sit back and enjoy the game. Naah ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk , Where did you get the idea that Karaban isn't a good defender or impact player? In my earliest posts watching him, I commented that playing Brewster he defended on the perimeter matched up against 6'6 deadly shooter Matt Cross who was playing out of position at center that year, and, against Kadary Richmond trying to take the ball to the hoop. Then against Putnam Science I posted he battled strong vs 3 rotating 7 footers in the post with 2 at a time on the court. Recently there was a post I wasn't aware of, that he was the 5th ranked defensive player in EYBL. He is a rugged rebounder and versatile defender who shoots, passes, and dribbles to boot. Out of his own lips he talked about how hard it was to be on the bench last winter because he is used to being the focal point of teams he is on, not watching. Are you just assuming defensive weakness because of his offense? He is just more fundamental and less spectacular on defense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk , Where did you get the idea that Karaban isn't a good defender or impact player? In my earliest posts watching him, I commented that playing Brewster he defended on the perimeter matched up against 6'6 deadly shooter Matt Cross who was playing out of position at center that year, and, against Kadary Richmond trying to take the ball to the hoop. Then against Putnam Science I posted he battled strong vs 3 rotating 7 footers in the post with 2 at a time on the court. Recently there was a post I wasn't aware of, that he was the 5th ranked defensive player in EYBL. He is a rugged rebounder and versatile defender who shoots, passes, and dribbles to boot. Out of his own lips he talked about how hard it was to be on the bench last winter because he is used to being the focal point of teams he is on, not watching. Are you just assuming defensive weakness because of his offense? He is just more fundamental and less spectacular on defense.
I’m not assuming he can’t defend. I’m simply saying he’s less of a rim protector. Like you said, functional not dynamic. Our defense, which moves the 5 away from the rim, is better with a legit rim protector at the 4. That’s less of a concern when Jackson is the defensive 3, but with a guard playing the 3 (Alleyne, Newton) it’s a concern.

Now, if Hurley abandons the hard hedge and keeps the 5 in range of the paint, then you can get away with less help. I assume he has to do that if Clingan is in, will he with Sanogo? No idea.

Reaction Score
Our defense requires an athletic, shot blocking 4. Even more so with Jackson out. Huriey is a defense first guy. Karaban is an interesting player. But he’s not an impact guy. Johnson is. I’m sure some folks will say I’m wrong. If so, it’s because Hurley is wrong. Won’t be the first time.
Depends on what impact you're looking for. AK was MVP of the Prep School Championship his last full year in the league (if I recall correctly) so he was able to make an impact in a highly competitive league of skilled players.

Reaction Score
Newton will start but Hassan is going to get plenty of minutes early until Andre gets back. Even then I'd expect him to be getting 15-20 minutes a game

Karaban will start over Samson, but again expect both to be pretty big factors. Karaban I expect big things from every game. Samson I expect to have an Akok Akok impact where he makes a few exciting plays and then disappears for a week.

Alleyne is pushing for a starting spot and Calcaterra is trying to break into the rotation so even if they both play Alleyne show should have a much bigger impact
Thanks. That's good to know. Now we can all go to the Georgetown soccer game.

Reaction Score
Our defense requires an athletic, shot blocking 4. Even more so with Jackson out. Huriey is a defense first guy. Karaban is an interesting player. But he’s not an impact guy. Johnson is. I’m sure some folks will say I’m wrong. If so, it’s because Hurley is wrong. Won’t be the first time.

Johnson was lost on D last year so he needs to improve for us to think he’s the D first guy. One video showed AK with some good footwork on D so this will go down to what’s more important making shots or blocking shots. We will see.

Reaction Score
You've completely turned Samson Johnson into something he's never shown he is. It's so in your head that he's some defensive beast and knockdown three point shooter and you're so strident about it that your posts regarding the 4 spot are sounding more and more unhinged. It's clouded your thoughts so much that you've now even resorted to denigrating Karaban's game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You've completely turned Samson Johnson into something he's never shown he is. It's so in your head that he's some defensive beast and knockdown three point shooter and you're so strident about it that your posts regarding the 4 spot are sounding more and more unhinged. It's clouded your thoughts so much that you've now even resorted to denigrating Karaban's game.
How can I be denigrating the game of a guy who has never played a college game? I hope he’s as good as freaking Chris Mullin, I really do. This place becomes unhinged and tends to place expectations on Freshmen that they rarely meet. Meanwhile, returning guys who didn’t play much are assumed not to have improved. Happens every year. Last summer people said I was crazy when I said Martin would be the starting SG, not Hawkins. “He can’t handle the ball well enough! He can’t shoot well enough!” Guys improve. If Johnson hasn’t then he won’t play much.

I don‘t know how it’s going to shake out. Nobody here does. I doubt Hurley knows at this point. Both guys will probably play more while Jackson is out, which may be what Hurley was alluding to as the side benefit from his absence. I am honestly thrilled that the conversation is between Karaban and Johnson, and not ”Jackson will start at the 4”, which half of the board believed three months ago.

Reaction Score
How can I be denigrating the game of a guy who has never played a college game? I hope he’s as good as freaking Chris Mullin, I really do. This place becomes unhinged and tends to place expectations on Freshmen that they rarely meet. Meanwhile, returning guys who didn’t play much are assumed not to have improved. Happens every year. Last summer people said I was crazy when I said Martin would be the starting SG, not Hawkins. “He can’t handle the ball well enough! He can’t shoot well enough!” Guys improve. If Johnson hasn’t then he won’t play much.

I don‘t know how it’s going to shake out. Nobody here does. I doubt Hurley knows at this point. Both guys will probably play more while Jackson is out, which may be what Hurley was alluding to as the side benefit from his absence. I am honestly thrilled that the conversation is between Karaban and Johnson, and not ”Jackson will start at the 4”, which half of the board believed three months ago.

Players rarely go from not seeing any meaningful minutes to big-time contributors. It's possible, but I ain't banking on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom