OT: - Portland, Or | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Portland, Or

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know you didn't ask but I drove through Portland CT earlier.

Highlights and recommendations:

The Burger King near the bridge has one of those new fangled soda machines where you can make anything. Cream flavored 7-up? Just a touch screen away.

The Exxon closer to Cobalt... 8 gallon fill up = free car wash.

You wouldn't want to eat in the restaurant proper but if you need catering for 25 or so Farrell's has good macaroni and cheese in bulk (vegans order w no cheese).

If you are on Main St bust a left near Petzold marina. At the end of that road sometimes they leave the gate unlocked. You can jump right in the river and you'll probably have it all to yourself.

If you've got some putters, golf balls and a good flashlight a solid bargain is the closed down mini golf course - just wait for the cover of night.

Time it right and you can catch the horse pulls up at the fairgrounds. If the Olympics had a baby with the Super Bowl - it wouldn't be as awesome as the Portland Fair.

Book early for the nicest hotel in the town... The Riverdale Inn: AAA approved with Color TV. The Eggs Up Restaurant across the street is open from 7-10 a.m. Wednesday-Sunday.

That would keep anyone busy for a while.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Tillamook Cheese Factory would be good for the kids.

If you happen to go to the Food Cart section of Portland, one of my close friends runs "Altengartz Bratwurst". It's a great Brat (best I've ever had). My friend's name is Jameson, but sometimes his father or another employee will be running the truck. Altengartz - Downtown - Portland, OR

He's got several UConn friends, me included - so he is very UConn friendly.

I second the Timberline Lodge in terms of getting a beer it was one of the cooler places I've ever had one. Their Mount Hood Chocolate Stout was amazing.
I was there a few weeks ago and Tillamook cheese is under construction, not worth going. We went to DeGarde Brewery which is one of the top rated breweries in the country and it's right next to a Blimp Hanger Museum in Tillamook. We hiked on some of the short trails along the coast just south of the town and stayed at Cape Kiwanda - there is a great inn across the street from another haystack rock and Pelican Brewing has a location there as well. The coast line and parks are beautiful and it's just a 45 minute ride south from Cannon Beach.

If you have time without the kids, its worth hitting some of the wineries in Willamette Valley. Domaine Serene is terrific!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Based on my one visit, Portland in general is more fun without the kids.
I was there with my adult son and our wives! He's the one that dragged me to Tillamook to go to DeGarde! Great Notion was my favorite brewery in the city but there are so many terrific breweries there. You can bring the young ones to Voodoo Donuts, Portsmouth Saturday Market, hiking in the gorge, Pok Pok, the Bookstore etc.

It is an adult playground though between all the beer, wine and coffee venues!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom