OT: - Portland, Or | The Boneyard

OT: Portland, Or

Reaction Score
Headed to Portland with the wife and kids in 2 weeks. Any suggestions that are must see? Mt. Hood and Cannon Beach are on the list, anything else?

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with Mt Hood and Canyon Beach, both are great places to visit. If you have the opportunity drop by The Timberline Lodge at Mt Hood or better yet spend a night there. It was built during the depression with local wood and stone. Just an amazing lodge to see and be sure to have a drink in the Blue Ox lounge.

A couple of other sites to see are the town of Hood River right on the Columbia River, Multnomah Falls as well as the Columbia River Gorge vistas.

Reaction Score
Attach81_20170705_110822.jpg

Every one likes Cannon Beach. This is Haystack Rock...it got it's name from...well, it's pretty obvious. The thing about Cannon Beach, or any of the beaches in northern Oregon or Washington, is that they are great walking or kite flying beaches. They're not so much for sunbathing or swimming.

What are the ages of the kids?

Reaction Score
View attachment 23319

Every one likes Cannon Beach. This is Haystack Rock...it got it's name from...well, it's pretty obvious. The thing about Cannon Beach, or any of the beaches in northern Oregon or Washington, is that they are great walking or kite flying beaches. They're not so much for sunbathing or swimming.

What are the ages of the kids?
Haystack Rock and Cannon Beach are on top of the list (have you seen my avatar?). Kids are 4,5 & 7.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hmmm. That's actually not too far from where my wife and I are staying for a couple nights. I'm a fan of the Book Barn locations in Niantic. This looks like that but on a much grander scale.
Powell's and the Tattered Cover in Denver are the two best bookstores I've ever seen in my life, anywhere.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. That's actually not too far from where my wife and I are staying for a couple nights. I'm a fan of the Book Barn locations in Niantic. This looks like that but on a much grander scale.
It's awesome - very easy to spend an afternoon there. Here's a map of the setup.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I only know of beer and coffee and maybe a whiskey bar or two. No help for a family vacation.

But if you get into an argument and need to leave the hotel, let me know!

Reaction Score
With kids that age, it will be tough to enjoy the hiking that the Portland area has to offer. However, if you want to "pretend" hike, you can do a short drive east on the Historic Columbia River Hwy. (pick it up off of exit 22 off I-84 East) that includes visits to: Vista House, Latourell Falls (short hike...like a few hundred feet to see the falls), Multnomah Falls (take them on a "hike" up to the bridge for some good photo ops), then on to the visitor center at the Bonneville Dam where the kids can see the salmon swim through the fish ladder (fun for every one!). From there, either continue heading east to Hood River to paddle board, (or watch the wind surfers) and grab some lunch/dinner, or cross over the Bridge of the Gods into Washington and visit Skamania Lodge for your meal and try some zip lining and some more light hiking through the woods. If you do hit Washington, head home via SR14 and stop at Beacon Rock (an easy climb for fresh legs, but for tired 4 year old legs? maybe not) and another photo op at Cape Horn.

Reaction Score
I only know of beer and coffee and maybe a whiskey bar or two. No help for a family vacation.

But if you get into an argument and need to leave the hotel, let me know!
We're leaving the kids with family for two nights but from what I hear we shouldn't have any trouble finding some good beer.

Reaction Score
Headed to Portland with the wife and kids in 2 weeks. Any suggestions that are must see? Mt. Hood and Cannon Beach are on the list, anything else?
Astoria, duh.

"Hey you guys!!!!"

Reaction Score
We're leaving the kids with family for two nights but from what I hear we shouldn't have any trouble finding some good beer.

Lots of really good local craft breweries in and around Portland. .

Reaction Score
8893 mentioned McMenamin's Edgefield and I'll 2nd it for adult fun. They have two pitch & putt golf courses there. one is something like 13 holes, the other is like 20 holes. The golf is purely secondary to drinking beer, wine and/or spirits while you golf. Drinking is highly encouraged. After playing, have dinner in one of the bars sprinkled about the campus, there's like 10 or so. There's a hotel and a movie theater too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
8893 mentioned McMenamin's Edgefield and I'll 2nd it for adult fun. They have two pitch & putt golf courses there. one is something like 13 holes, the other is like 20 holes. The golf is purely secondary to drinking beer, wine and/or spirits while you golf. Drinking is highly encouraged. After playing, have dinner in one of the bars sprinkled about the campus, there's like 10 or so. There's a hotel and a movie theater too.
They also have the coolest weathervane I've ever seen:

6e62451fcab6fb956a20cbc6b9e47b3c.jpg

Reaction Score
Alas, you've. just missed the World Naked Bike Ride
Ha! I did see that on Twitter recently and joked about rescheduling the vacation. After two days of bar-hopping it may still happen.

@superjohn Astoria was on the list but I don't think we'll make it. There is an Oregon Film museum there that has some Goonies artifacts but nothing crazy. Someone needs to open a Goonies themed restaurant that looks exactly like the one in the movie.

Reaction Score
Tillamook Cheese Factory would be good for the kids.

If you happen to go to the Food Cart section of Portland, one of my close friends runs "Altengartz Bratwurst". It's a great Brat (best I've ever had). My friend's name is Jameson, but sometimes his father or another employee will be running the truck. Altengartz - Downtown - Portland, OR

He's got several UConn friends, me included - so he is very UConn friendly.

I second the Timberline Lodge in terms of getting a beer it was one of the cooler places I've ever had one. Their Mount Hood Chocolate Stout was amazing.

Reaction Score
Going up with my girl in a few weeks, we are both 27, and are huge on craft beer and food. She almost moved there from Boston on a whim a few years ago (we live in San Diego now).

Any suggestions fitting that as opposed to just family-friendly stuff?

Reaction Score
Going up with my girl in a few weeks, we are both 27, and are huge on craft beer and food. She almost moved there from Boston on a whim a few years ago (we live in San Diego now).

Any suggestions fitting that as opposed to just family-friendly stuff?

what, you mean like the Acropolis Steakhouse?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom