Portal | The Boneyard

Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup we got hit hard with players going to draft/exploring draft/transfers...but don't think for a second there's players that aren't in the portal thinking of Uconn right now. With theese spots possibly opening up new guys might add themselves to the portal. And we can still end up with massive results out of the portal..we have plenty of reasons for them coming here now... minutes_great coaching/#5/ chance at #6.... yup I'm not worried I think we get 2 good STUD portal pick ups. Players just seen a ton of minutes possibly open up here.. oh yeah Timberlake played a GARBAGE schedule let him go to Kansas. Rant over go huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
Who needs the portal. We have a great recruiting class, Karaban, Johnson, Diarra and maybe the best Big Man in the country. That may not equate to repeat champs, but we've been in a worse position. Worst case we get to watch a lights out group of young players grow into a contender. Like 97, 02, etc... the way teams used to be built.

Reaction Score
Who needs the portal. We have a great recruiting class, Karaban, Johnson, Diarra and maybe the best Big Man in the country. That may not equate to repeat champs, but we've been in a worse position. Worst case we get to watch a lights out group of young players grow into a contender. Like 97, 02, etc... the way teams used to be built.
We need the portal. If Newton doesn't come back we have 3 guards on the roster.

Reaction Score
....... we definitely need the portal... as it stands right now we have zero chance of being preseason above creighton/Marquette.. not that preseason means anything but besides Castle/stewart the new class is very small built..big east is gonna be a major grind for them. I'm not really sold on diarra/Johnson getting anymore then 5 minutes a game..right now they would be getting 12-15 minutes a game. Neither brings and type of offense. I love Castle but he's not a natural scorer. Katakana has to create some kind of mid range game. Every team knows he can shoot the 3 and possibly are only consistent 3 point shooter. And with Clingan he's gonna be a monster this year. But as we seen with Timme in the tourney all it takes is 1 game with foul trouble and that can eliminate a team real fast.. excited for this incoming class but thats a ton of pressure to put on them. Definetly need a couple solid portal pick ups.. I like Knecht/Ike/Cleveland/raequan battle (beast)/arterio Morris/Javon small (incredibly talented and from ECU so maybe Tristen puts in a good word for.him. plenty of talent in the portal with plenty of talent still gonna announce there transferring

Reaction Score
You hope freshmen can perform at a high level (see Karaban and Clingan), but you shouldn't expect it. Even many 5 stars need time to adjust and fall short.

We definitely need to supplement the Fab 5 with the portal!

Who's up next?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd like to try and not be greedy, but I think we all know that if DC plays like we all think he will he'll be in the NBA after next season. Thus it's now or never if we want to take advantage of all he provides.

caw

Reaction Score
....... we definitely need the portal... as it stands right now we have zero chance of being preseason above creighton/Marquette.. not that preseason means anything but besides Castle/stewart the new class is very small built..big east is gonna be a major grind for them. I'm not really sold on diarra/Johnson getting anymore then 5 minutes a game..right now they would be getting 12-15 minutes a game. Neither brings and type of offense. I love Castle but he's not a natural scorer. Katakana has to create some kind of mid range game. Every team knows he can shoot the 3 and possibly are only consistent 3 point shooter. And with Clingan he's gonna be a monster this year. But as we seen with Timme in the tourney all it takes is 1 game with foul trouble and that can eliminate a team real fast.. excited for this incoming class but thats a ton of pressure to put on them. Definetly need a couple solid portal pick ups.. I like Knecht/Ike/Cleveland/raequan battle (beast)/arterio Morris/Javon small (incredibly talented and from ECU so maybe Tristen puts in a good word for.him. plenty of talent in the portal with plenty of talent still gonna announce there transferring

You do realize Diarra averaged nearly 13 minutes per game this past year? Johnson is more of a concern because he is an unknown.

Reaction Score
You do realize Diarra averaged nearly 13 minutes per game this past year? Johnson is more of a concern because he is an unknown.
......Diarra didn't get any minutes really in games that mattered. Scored 0 points in big east/ncaa tourney. Highest minutes in tourney was 13 against providence in a game we were smoking them. Shot 28.7% from field. 17.9% from 3 (hit 1 3 pointer from 2/11 on and 51.4% from free thrown line... hard nosed defensive bull..but If he's getting 15-20 minutes ppg next year we're in trouble. He's a point guard and not gonna win many games with that kind of offense as a key player..definitely could be a great team leader tho.

caw

Reaction Score
......Diarra didn't get any minutes really in games that mattered. Scored 0 points in big east/ncaa tourney. Highest minutes in tourney was 13 against providence in a game we were smoking them. Shot 28.7% from field. 17.9% from 3 (hit 1 3 pointer from 2/11 on and 51.4% from free thrown line... hard nosed defensive bull..but If he's getting 15-20 minutes ppg next year we're in trouble. He's a point guard and not gonna win many games with that kind of offense as a key player..definitely could be a great team leader tho.

Still got 13 minutes a game last year. If he is at 13-15 next year, that is not near the biggest problem.

Reaction Score

We wanted Diarra to score 0 points a game. That was better than him taking shots. You are understating his role — he played his minutes in every game I recall but the Championship game, and often changed the course of games with his energy and defense. I need him to make foul shots and would like a little better management with the ball in his hands. Points I don’t need.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Diarra is a serviceable backup. Nothing more, nothing less. He’s a small combo who can’t score a lick, but he can handle the ball a bit and he plays decent defense.

We will need some portal help if the draft eligible guys leave - I expect at least one of them if not both back. I would not mind another guard even if they do.

Reaction Score
He is fine as a backup PG and rotational guy. He serves his purpose. Obviously we need scorers and shooters to be on the team too.

Reaction Score
Newton may still decide to come back. He only has a month to generated some buzz for himself and get projected spot in second round. He may have a better chance to make it, if he plays one more year as the star / leading scorer.

Reaction Score
They will pick up at least one guard in the portal for sure.

At the end of the day these 5 freshman are the future and even if next year has a bit of growing pains, so be it.

I still think we are going to be VERY good with what he have on board already. Castle is the most talented player we have brought in in nearly a decade, plus Solo Ball is higher ranked than anyone but Castle in the Hurley era. Sure ranking aren't givens, but it's a good thing to have.

Plus I genuinely think Diarra can be a solid backup point guard, as him continuing to develop isn't out of the question, plus Samson is the perfect smaller more mobile complement to Clingan and once a blue chip prospect himself.

P.S - I actually think Roumoglu plays a bit next year

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if any players wait for an opening at a school they want to transfer to before entering the portal.
I'm sure at least 100 kids who commit this offseason fit that profile.

That being said, my conspiracy kitty oracle of the offseason: the Nick Timberlake 2.0 that we are going to add on the portal is not even on the portal yet.

Reaction Score
No no V
I'm wondering if any players wait for an opening at a school they want to transfer to before entering the portal.
My guess (hope) is that is the case. That goes in all the time and there are excellent players in the portal and about to get in. We are an attractive option!!

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
This time last year most of us felt like the sky was falling and before July we had the roster that got us to #5, so I'm going to let this play out. Hurley & Co. seem to know what they are doing & haven't run out of options in the past so enjoy the ride. Everybody can bitch in July.:)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This time last year most of us felt like the sky was falling and before July we had the roster that got us to #5, so I'm going to let this play out. Hurley & Co. seem to know what they are doing & haven't run out of options in the past so enjoy the ride. Everybody can bitch in July.:)
The only flaw in your post is that people were bitching last July. It wasn't until PK85 that people realized we may be pretty good that it stopped.

Oh, and the bitching returned when we hit a rough patch in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom