Portal Problems | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portal Problems

Reaction Score
The problem with the new transfer policy, as well as with free agency, is that it benefits the players but short changes the fans. While I will always support the players, I admit that it lessens my enthusiasm for my favorite teams.

Free agents in baseball who leave to join a contender say to their former fans you are rooting for a loser. That was my feeling when the Rockies best player headed out of town. Within a few years of winning the Super Bowl, only five players from that squad remained on the Broncos roster. One and done in men’s college basketball simply meant I stopped watching or caring while continuing to be a major fan of the women’s game.

If transfers benefit your school, you’re happy. Three players who probably never would have seen more than a couple of minutes on the floor transferred out of Colorado but two strong players from Washington, a conference foe, transferred in. Colorado fans are overjoyed but Washington fans are probably asking why should I care about this team anymore. In other words, it is great for the kids but if you are trying to grow the overall fan base, it’s a problem. In the end, it is what it is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As it is now, there is a 'one transfer' rule for undergrads for the no-sit-out-year.
While there are lots of folks moving this year, I don't think it is likely to change the balance of teams in general - Uconn has added Dorka and lost Anna - neither significantly changing Uconn. SC, Stanford haven't had any changes I think. Baylor has lost their coach so that is more significant than player movement. Looking around, there are only a few of the 64 NCAA teams that have altered significantly by transfers this spring, and mostly by mass defections, not significant players being added.

And as was noted during the NCAAs most of the teams including Uconn had a significant transfer on their roster even with the old rules in place. The biggest current influence is probably the seniors staying for a fifth year at some of the NCAA teams.

Reaction Score
I think I actually will have to read the new transfer and extra year rules for myself as I have questions. Did the one free transfer rule also mean that a second would automatically have to sit a year so as to remove the awful 'we will decide who has to sit and who doesn't' fiasco. Does the added year also increase the roster size for each one choosing to take it (I don't think so)?

Reaction Score
I am a proponent of the new transfer rule. If you look at college students in general you will find a large number of students transfer. There are many reasons for a student to transfer and I think athletes should have the same opportunities. When free agency came into professional sports many were saying it would ruin sports - it did not. And it won’t ruin college sports either. Sure the first couple of years will be chaotic but once the dust settles things will be fine. Some universities will have an advantage but that is true today.

As has been noted, this year is an anomaly because of the new rule and COVID. it will settle down as time goes on. I do agree with the SEC rule that all athletic scholarships are for four years unless the student athlete violates the schools code of conduct.

One question I do have - if an athlete uses the transfer exception and then graduates with eligibility remaining can they then transfer again, as a graduate student, without sitting out a year?

This article discusses the high percentages of transfers in universities. Transfer and Mobility: A National View of Student Movements

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom