Poor Cronin, straight to the G-League picking up momentum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poor Cronin, straight to the G-League picking up momentum

Reaction Score
The difference is the kid who decides to be an electrician starts out at $13-$15 per hour as an apprentice. He learns about life and the need to budget and plan for a future the old fashioned way. The 19 year old who goes straight to the NBA is suddenly making $15 per minute traveling, living in hotels, with newspaper attention and public adoration and criticism beyond anything our electrician kid will ever experience. Most 19 year olds can't handle it. That's why the rule was changed to give kids another year to grow up and have a greater chance for success in life.

You can't really believe this, can you? You think the electrician in your scenario is better off?

Why do we let 18 year olds play professional hockey and baseball but not basketball?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You can't really believe this, can you? You think the electrician in your scenario is better off?

Why do we let 18 year olds play professional hockey and baseball but not basketball?
I think you may have missed my point or I didn't make it clear. . My point is that the stresses on a 19 year old NBA player prevent them from maturing normally. While the kid who is 19 and in a typical situation has the ability to mature normally. Alan Iverson made over $150,000,000.00 in the NBA. Today his net worth is $1,000,000. Do you remember Chris Washburn 3rd overall pick. Guess what he is doing today;
1588258508809.png

The NBA put the 1 year after high school ruling in to help kids mature hoping one more year before the big money will help them develop the discipline to make the most out of their NBA careers.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score

Do you know how much money the typical kid in the minors of hockey and baseball make? about $80,000. So half the plaerys in the minors make less. Those making less are the 18/19 year olds that are making 30,000 a year. It a very different situation from the NBA where the lowest paid players are making millions. In baseball the kids have to learn how to handle their money to make it just like the electrician in my example.

Reaction Score
Do you know how much money the typical kid in the minors of hockey and baseball make? about $80,000. So half the plaerys in the minors make less. Those making less are the 18/19 year olds that are making 30,000 a year. It a very different situation from the NBA where the lowest paid players are making millions. In baseball the kids have to learn how to handle their money to make it just like the electrician in my example.

Chris Washburn played 2 years at NC State. Doesn't that undercut the point you're making?

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Chris Washburn played 2 years at NC State. Doesn't that undercut the point you're making?
Not at all. Just the example that some guys are too immature to handle the big money. I am just explaining the reasoning why the NBA has the one year after high school ruling. I am neither defending or demeaning the rule. Just giving their reason why. Obviously you understood that I was saying that a kid out of high school would be better off as an electrician than an NBA player. Which is far from my point. I am sorry to have confused you.

Reaction Score
Not at all. Just the example that some guys are too immature to handle the big money. I am just explaining the reasoning why the NBA has the one year after high school ruling. I am neither defending or demeaning the rule. Just giving their reason why. Obviously you understood that I was saying that a kid out of high school would be better off as an electrician than an NBA player. Which is far from my point. I am sorry to have confused you.
The future financial well-being of the athlete has nothing to do with the one-year rule.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
The future financial well-being of the athlete has nothing to do with the one-year rule.
memories get foggy. There was also NCAA concerns in the package and discussions over incomplete physical development in some cases. There was a lot of discussion from all the factions; agents, schools, pros. But the issue that mattered to me is the financial issue.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The NBA put the 1 year after high school ruling in to help kids mature hoping one more year before the big money will help them develop the discipline to make the most out of their NBA careers.
No, they didn't. They were sick of giving big rookie contracts to kids that don't pan out. This way they get a better look at what they are paying for.

Reaction Score
memories get foggy. There was also NCAA concerns in the package and discussions over incomplete physical development in some cases. There was a lot of discussion from all the factions; agents, schools, pros. But the issue that mattered to me is the financial issue.
I am not disputing that some in the NBA, NCAA or elsewhere made the claim that you are espousing. I am merely saying that whoever made such claims is either lying or naive. I can't find the post, but another Boneyarder quite eloquently explained that the rule was put in place to give NBA teams a chance to see top prospects against higher-level competition before taking the risk of drafting them.

Edit: What @Waquoit said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom