Polley and Wilson | The Boneyard

Polley and Wilson

Reaction Score
Hurley is splitting their minutes now. Keep your eye on their development this season. Against FSU together they had 7pts and 6 reb. If we were going to beat FSU we needed double that production from them.

I said about a week ago that these two need to be legitimate scoring threats for us to make the tourney. The duo together needs to average around a double-double for us.

That could happen with both averaging around 6 and 6. But I think it’s more likely that one of these two players spits off and starts to chip in at a higher rate.

l think by the end of the season that player will be Sidney Wilson. I just have a gut feeling about him. He has something about his game that I can’t put my finger on that i really like.

Also Polley reminds me more of a Rashad Anderson type. A gifted shooter but limited athletically on the drive. Sidney is a lot more fluid in the lane and can hang in the air.

Also also
Cobb, Carlton and Yakwe need to combine for a double double every game as well for us to make the tourney. They are our 3 head monster.

Reaction Score
Polley was just in foul trouble all game otherwise would’ve played more

Yep and his own fault but he will learn. His 2nd foul was great defense too he made the mistake of jumping for the block rather than holding his ground, standing straight up hands up making Manns drive and shot very difficult. Mann is 6'4 maybe 6'5 Tyler guarded him right down to the low block and he had him until he jumped. Mann is a player, ball faker he made him do it. He just needs to learn he is long and doesn't need to jump and block a shot to make a guy miss, it's really that simple. He can eventually be a nice defender with some smarts.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I look at the Polley's body this year and his shooting improvement and it seems clear that he is working hard in the off season. It's hard not to root for a kid like that and it is always a mistake to underestimate them.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I agree about Sid. He just looks like a basketball player out there, excellent athleticism, a nice stroke, and the attributes to be a very good defender. Obviously, he has a long way to go in terms of development but he will be a different player by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Sid clearly has some work to do, but his athleticism really stands out. He creates some shots and has had a few really nice boards. Polley has been very solid, and is a better pure shooter right now. I’d love to see the two of them on the floor at the same time a little more as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
Yep and his own fault but he will learn. His 2nd foul was great defense too he and the mistake of jumping for the block rather than holding his ground, standing straight up hands up making Manns drive and shot very difficult. Mann is 6'4 maybe 6'5 Tyler guarded him right down to the low block and he had him until he jumped. Mann is a player, ball faker he made him do it. He just needs to learn he is long and doesn't need to jump and block a shot to make a guy miss, it's really that simple. He can eventually be a nice defender with some smarts.
They said yesterday Mann was 6'7". Just checked his bio, and it is 6'7", 215#. From Lowell, MA. He should be at UConn.

Reaction Score
From a Borges article:

Indeed, Mann’s star rose over his final year at Tilton School, and the likes of Florida State, Indiana, Boston College, Iowa, Maryland, Florida and West Virginia started coming after him.

“At the end of the day, I wanted to be away from home,” said Mann, who grew up in Lowell, Mass. “I think Hurley knew that.”

Mann said he wished he would have been recruited by UConn, but never really was.

Florida State top scorer Terance Mann has some close ties to UConn men’s basketball program

Reaction Score
I would love to see Wilson instead of vital. I feel like he could rebound better than vital and cause less turnovers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How about Polley AND Wilson each averaging a double, double. UConn has got to get away from their total dependency on guards to score. How about becoming more P5 like.

We definitely need to play them both at the same time now and then. And generally speaking, try to avoid the constant 3-4 guard lineups. That Diarra injury is really limiting us, would like to get Whaley a few minutes and see if he can do anything. Sid is not a 4 and he’s way out of his depth playing that position.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he doesn't feel like our leading rebounder.

Vital has a very clear ceiling athletically and talent wise but his heart more than makes up for it. That said he would provide very limited minutes on a classic Calhoun coached team. I want us to get back to that level of athlete. Vital will play a lot of minutes until he graduates but he is not a classic UConn level athlete in my opinion. Love his heart though can’t emphasize that enough.

Reaction Score
I agree about Sid. He just looks like a basketball player out there, excellent athleticism, a nice stroke, and the attributes to be a very good defender. Obviously, he has a long way to go in terms of development but he will be a different player by the end of the year.
I think Sid is the only NBA prospect on this roster and no sure thing. One man's opinion. At Alterique's size he would have to turn into Iverson and Idk about that.Jalen will make high euro money.

Help is coming.

Reaction Score
He’s clearly good at it. Aggressive and has good timing for his jumps. But I think what I’d say is that a 6’1” guard should not be our leading rebounder. Others need to step up.

"Should" is meaningless. Replacing Vital with Sid and expecting our rebounding to improve is nonsense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom