Polley and Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Polley and Wilson

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would love to see Wilson instead of vital. I feel like he could rebound better than vital and cause less turnovers.
nobody on this team except maybe Jalen rebounds better than CV

Reaction Score
Polley is the more developed player physically and has the three point range accuracy advantage. But Wilson seems to be more willing to attack the defense while Polley, for some reason avoids driving to the lane. He needs to do more to balance his game.

While Wilson has not been very accurate yet, his ball skills and delivery indicate that will likely improve. Love his aggression and his upside. Now if the team could just tighten up their foul shooting we might get some bigger wins.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ask our former coach why he wasn't recruited.
He was recruited by UConn - don't need to ask just did a little research
We could say, why wasn't he recruited to about 90% of the players out there, and the same question could be asked at nearly every big time school

Reaction Score
Would more P-5 like mean not winning 4 championships in the last 20 years? Because no one from the P-5 has done that.

History, the 2018-2019 Huskies need to become more P5-like, otherwise fans will someday be saying 4 championships in the past 30 years, 40 years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about Sid's head, but physically he's as exciting a player as we've had in years. That "something" people refer to is latent athleticism, and it was lurkingly apparent even before the explosive putback dunk that jolted the crowd out of its slumber the other night.. When he's on the floor, the game is so much more interesting. It's like watching a panther on the prowl.

Reaction Score
Not sure where this stuff about Sid's "great looking" shot is coming from. It's not a great looking shot.

His hand isn't under the ball, and he's too stiff. The pieces are definitely there, but it's not smooth like an experienced, confident shooter's is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid had a ton of rust to shake off. We are starting to see how athletic and electric he can be. Hopefully that trend line keeps going up. That said, I really like Polley. I have a really good feeling about him. Again the trend line for him is heading up. He made a big frosh->soph jump. It would not surprise me to see him to again next year. Less upside than Sid, but he'll be a solid four year guy for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't care for the Wilson and Polley conversation.

By now ... you should see that they have disparate strong talents and can share time/can co-exist. I love the development of Tyler Polley since last March; and Sidney is showing a solid mid-range game & far more explosion. Both are not key components of strength for this year's UCONN; plus 4/5 guards. Carlton. Cobb. And there you have it ... a development year and we may be surprised how good they get by mid-Feb. That makes this interesting.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If you combined Wilson and Polley together you'd have a top five pick in the NBA and the perfect Rip/Allen of the future.

Reaction Score
Hurley is splitting their minutes now. Keep your eye on their development this season. Against FSU together they had 7pts and 6 reb. If we were going to beat FSU we needed double that production from them.

I said about a week ago that these two need to be legitimate scoring threats for us to make the tourney. The duo together needs to average around a double-double for us.

That could happen with both averaging around 6 and 6. But I think it’s more likely that one of these two players spits off and starts to chip in at a higher rate.

l think by the end of the season that player will be Sidney Wilson. I just have a gut feeling about him. He has something about his game that I can’t put my finger on that i really like.

Also Polley reminds me more of a Rashad Anderson type. A gifted shooter but limited athletically on the drive. Sidney is a lot more fluid in the lane and can hang in the air.

Also also
Cobb, Carlton and Yakwe need to combine for a double double every game as well for us to make the tourney. They are our 3 head monster.
He has big time athletic talent and actually has skills besides dunking that jump man can only dream about.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Wilson instead of vital. I feel like he could rebound better than vital and cause less turnovers.
Disagree. I think vital gives us the best defense and rebounding from the guards. He is even getting better with his judgment on offense. I think we stay with 3 guards and Wilson will see time at the 4 most of the time. He has the ups and athletic ability to hang there that polley doesn’t.

Reaction Score
I don't care for the Wilson and Polley conversation.

By now ... you should see that they have disparate strong talents and can share time/can co-exist. I love the development of Tyler Polley since last March; and Sidney is showing a solid mid-range game & far more explosion. Both are not key components of strength for this year's UCONN; plus 4/5 guards. Carlton. Cobb. And there you have it ... a development year and we may be surprised how good they get by mid-Feb. That makes this interesting.

So do you not think one of those two has to emerge and become a bigger threat and provide more than what they are now for us to make the tourney?

Because I’m not sure we can get there on our guard play alone. Adams and Gilbert are not Napier and Boatright. I’m not confident they can carry us.

We certainly can’t count on anyone becoming a prominent piece from the center position but I can definitely see Polley or Wilson”coming out” so to speak.

I mean I get that they can share time and do co-exist well on the court together. And I think they should. But Hurley seems to like the 3 guard line up where he subs Polley and Wilson for each other. I do wish he would play them together more.

That said it seems like one of those two have to make a big “leap” by February for us to be a tourney team in March. Not sure both will make that leap especially considering how Hurley is dividing their minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vital has a very clear ceiling athletically and talent wise but his heart more than makes up for it. That said he would provide very limited minutes on a classic Calhoun coached team. I want us to get back to that level of athlete. Vital will play a lot of minutes until he graduates but he is not a classic UConn level athlete in my opinion. Love his heart though can’t emphasize that enough.

Clear sign that a slice of folks that wrote on this board didn’t see all of the Calhoun years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Man, some really strange stuff gets said on this board.

It was late at night and the thought was just going through my mind and I typed it.

I like to see them split time as they both bring different things to the table.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Love Sid, his athleticism, and what he brings to the table. He’s gonna be really good.

But unless the guards are shooting efficiently from behind the arc, Polley is desperately needed to stretch the defense and knock down 3’s. Sid can’t do that right now.

Reaction Score
Wilson has something and it's hard to define at this point but I like the way he rebounds, snags the ball and has a nose for the ball around the rim. He has a long way to go but he needs to be out there against taller lineups. A 15 point performance would not surprise me pretty soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom