Poll - You're a WNBA GM Diamond Deshields or Kelsey Mitchell | The Boneyard

Poll - You're a WNBA GM Diamond Deshields or Kelsey Mitchell

WNBA GM Who Do you PIck Diamond or Kelsey.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You're a WNBA GM and must pick either Diamond or Kelsey as your #1 Draft Pick. There are no other options available. Who do you pick? Would like to see some comments on why you made your pick.

IMO they both are extremely talented players with so much upside, but they also have their limitations. May have to change their style of play to be an All Pro in the WNBA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I might pick Saniya Chong. OK, if you force me to choose, I take DD because she's longer and rebounds well.

Reaction Score
You presented a difficult choice:

Diamond a fantastic player; rebounds, good guard skills, can put up 20 point easily
Mitchell--all of Diamond and maybe more--she was into ever play--
If the psyche/mental attitude/ be corralled Diamond could be a top WNBA player

I think I just got my pick---Kelsey.

Reaction Score
I would pick Kelsey Plum as well, should be on the list :) But since you don't have Plum in there, I'd have to go with Diamond, she may not have it in college, but with the right WNBA coach, she could flourish and maybe one day reach her full potential.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good question. I went with Mitchell. The WNBA is not as team oriented, but DD does not have the scoring acumen that Kelsey has. Nor does she have the hustle/effort attitude. You can teach a player to play within a system, but you can not teach them a better internal attitude...

Reaction Score
Well of course there are other options.....Breanna Lewis from K State is definitely an option that I would consider and also another Kelsey.....Plum. But if the question is .....'if it came down to choosing between the two who would you take?' my answer would be Mitchell because I think she has better skills and attitude.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd rather trade the pick (or pick and trade). Deshields may have the higher upside IF she's coachable. Short season and limited practices make for question marks. Much a Mitchell's game would be crushed in the WNBA and she is not a good distributor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell and it not even close. She's light years ahead of Shields.

Scores about 10 ppg more on better shooting percentages (44% vs 41%). 10 percentage points higher on 3 pt shots. 100+ more assists with a 1.06 a/to ratio vs a 0.75 a/to ratio.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll take the ball hogging chucker
4532665.jpg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Mitchell is better from distance. Other than that, my scouting report on both players turns negative, approaching invective. Both are high skill but essentially selfish players. I'll stop there. Our mods have enough to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everyone who is voting for Mitchell is missing the big picture. With DD you get two for the price of one, DD & her dad.:(

HGN

Reaction Score
I voted for Mitchell.....Nothing against DeShields . I think she is a tremendous player and will be a high #1 pick. But I picked Mitchell because I think Kelsey shows more willingness to play strong defense. But I also think a good GM might could pick Diamond ahead of Mitchell if he is looking for a a wing or 2 guard With ideal size. Mitchell on the other hand is strictly a 1 or 2 guard. So it will depend upon what the GM is shopping for in that scenario.

I watched DeShields the weekend playing against Stanford and she showed little interest in defense and showed no hustle. As if saving her energy for the offensive end of the floor.....Mitchell , against UConn , showed hustle and energy on both ends of the court.

Which is why I would take Mitchell ahead of DeShields.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Everyone who is voting for Mitchell is missing the big picture. With DD you get two for the price of one, DD & her dad.:(

Ooooouch. Somebody dial 911.

Reaction Score
In the 2nd half of the Stanford game, DD put up a terrific shot and Rebecca Lobo (who was doing color commentary) expressed great admiration, saying that that's the kind of play DD's capable of. Immediately after that came three really ill-advised shots (all misses), followed by a terrific defensive (no kidding!) play which earned more praise, followed by another bad shot. Great natural talent, but at this point, she's really not coachable any longer, if ever, I don't think. I think she wills that. I think that occasional success creates path dependency for her and that she no longer has the mental skills to break out of that dependency. But I don't think Kelsey wills that. I think Kelsey still is coachable--just that no one has tried recently.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I had called OSU the Tennessee of the Big 10 for having great players but often underperforming on the court. Clearly, neither team's coach is prepared to administer some "tough love" to their respective superstar. Imagine either DD or Mitchell playing for Geno.:mad:

Reaction Score
Isn't Mitchell's dad the one who is an assistant for Ohio State? Or were you being sarcastic?? :) Sorry I'm slow today :)

Reaction Score

Okay...but if you pick Mitchell you also get a package deal with an assistant coach thrown in for free....sort of....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom